Rider 400/410- Syncing contacts takes a long time - Page 4 — TomTom Community

Rider 400/410- Syncing contacts takes a long time

124»

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Marco,

Thanks for the info!

I've forwarded it to our technicians to help them with the investigation into this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • JackmnJackmn Posts: 5 [Novice Seeker]
    Unfortunately, same here. Rider 400 + Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro (Android 6.0.1). All worked fine before the last software update (17.1), now it takes infinite time (805 contacts) to import the contacts, I never reached an end to the sync.

I've already made a Rider factory reset, cleared the BT connections on all devices, resynced all BT devices (Midland BTX1 + Phone), and now the headset does not reconnect to the Rider no more when the rider has been switched off.

In fact, after the factory reset:
    - All the languages listed after the first startup were overlapped (I had to turn off and on the rider 2 times to make it works)
    - The "online service" continues to show "connection in progress" without reaching an end (I shared the internet connection on my phone) and the traffic on the rider is correctly displayed (so the connection works!) but it continues to show connection in progress on the settings
    - While riding, every vocal advice continues to disconnect the bt conference, but I think this is a headset issue

I'm really very disappointed.
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    Does the Rider import all contacts every time? It sounds crazy. Why not make a differential import in stead? :-D
    We're all here wondering why in fact :D
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    I guess it does, anything else is illogical. Probably it fails at some point and retries indefinitely until it succeeds...

It can be the size of the contacts (timeout?) or just a contact that can't be parsed successfully...

You may try the following:
    Create a group with only some of your contacts (10-20 is a good controllable number), and sync only that group. See if it's ok, then add some more contacts and sync again... repeat...

If you see that there is a problem with your last 10 then remove it, sync, and add these contacts one by one.

That way we may clarify where the problem lies...
    Thanks @Ste7ios for the reply, but at least in my android phone, you could just give access in the bluetooth specific connection to the contacts, not decide what group to sync.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Jack,

Welcome to the Community!

It sounds to me like you're having some more general problems with the Bluetooth® connection with your phone. I'd recommend you to report this to Customer Service. They'll be better able to get to the bottom of this as well as collect the relevant details to help our technicians look into this.

Thanks, Mikko
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    If you can define on the phone what you need to sync, then you can limit the number of the synced contacts.

On iOS devices is pretty easy (create a group, populate it, then select it from Bluetooth pairing settings). On Android don't ask... :D
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I had this problem for the whole last year.
    Surprisingly now it needs only few minutes to sync all the contacts (~1000).
    Could be some software update solved it, could be that I removed meanwhile troublesome contact's entry.
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi Jack,

Welcome to the Community!

It sounds to me like you're having some more general problems with the Bluetooth® connection with your phone. I'd recommend you to report this to Customer Service. They'll be better able to get to the bottom of this as well as collect the relevant details to help our technicians look into this.

Thanks, Mikko

Just to avoid to waste mine and Customer Service time, I tried a soft reset keeping the power button till the restart of the device with the sound. It worked for clearing the issues with the bluetooth connections, so now the headset and the phone reconnect after the switching off and on of the rider 400, the shared internet connection for the traffic works too.

The problem with the contact syncing still remain by the way.
    I can receive calls (no name displayed, of course) but when I try to make one, the syncing starts blocking the process.
    New tests just FYI:
    1. deleted all the paired connection on the rider and on the phone, paired again -> still infinite syncing
    2. deleted the google account from the phone and so all the numbers from the contacts list. Re-added the google account, synced the contacts list on the phone -> still infinite syncing

It's become a personal challenge.
  • pazitosspazitoss Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi there,

I found this thread looking for the contact syncing issue. I see now that more than 1 year after the problem was first reported, a bunch of software updates since then, and the problem persists. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 with Android 7, Google contacts (around 350) and the device takes about 20-25 minutes to sync. This is simply unusable. I have the device up to date and beside this problem I constantly find numerous crashes and slowdowns, the screen goes black and the device restarts itself for no apparent reason while riding. I fell in the trap of buying an expensive Rider 450, which I totally regret now. The hardware looks fine but the software in it is total rubbish and unfit for purpose. I can't recommend anyone purchase one of these, only prevent them from doing the same mistake I did. Your accident chances increase if you use one these devices in this condition. I feel ripped off, so much that I won't ever buy a GPS device again, not even other brands, I find it too risky. I'll stick to Google Maps (or others) and a good phone case adequate for motorcycles. I personally suspect dedicated GPS devices are a stinct animal.

Good night and good luck!
    P.
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Don't worry. They know the problem and are working on it.
    My sync was shorter, but only few times. Don't know why. Now it takes ca. 15 minutes. Tomtom should advertise "phone function - only if your trip is longer than our sync time)
  • PascalBPascalB Posts: 1
    Hi there, still no progress on this issue. It makes my rider 410 dangerous to phone. It’s even impossible to pair it as a media device to my Sena SMH5FM. This makes me becoming mad :-(
  • PaulWhitbyPaulWhitby Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I found this thread after having the same sync issues with contacts, and it seems that the problem has persisted since at least 2016, with no satisfactory conclusion. It’s now August 2019. I had been considering upgrading to a TomTom 550, but I remain dissatisfied with the TomTom software (though it’s better now than the first Rider versions) and this contact sync might be the final straw. TomTom, when are you going to fix it?? You’ve probably lost quite a few sales over this.