Rider 400/410- Syncing contacts takes a long time - Page 3 — TomTom Community

Rider 400/410- Syncing contacts takes a long time

Comments

• eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    The long history of contacts with Customer Service could be summarized in few words: we're sorry, reset, no info.
    I believe you, MikkoK, are closer to technicians and can provide us any info.
  • basixbasix Posts: 480 Superuser
    I am glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. I'm tired of explaining things to the 'customer service'. It is tomtom who should service the customer, not vice versa..

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.
    I'm glad to provide details about my problems, glad to cooperate or test solutions.
    But if you describe issue, customer service express sorry and closes automatically the topic after week without any help it's simply not fair.
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 360 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    eldawido wrote:
    I'm glad to provide details about my problems, glad to cooperate or test solutions.
    But if you describe issue, customer service express sorry and closes automatically the topic after week without any help it's simply not fair.

Sadly, that is how TomTom operates. Occationally MikkoK remind us to contact customer service, reset the gps and wait for the next update - an update he sadly cannot say anything about. History shows, that software updates do not really address the major issues but introduce new problems.

However, I think that TomTom has made the foundation for a great gps. Would they take the customers feedback serious and correct the problems with hoarse voice, slow sync of the phones contact list, the problem with transfer of more routes to the gps then - and first then - the Rider 4x0 could be a very nice gps.

Dear MikkoK. The Rider 4x0 has three major problems. Please come up with a solution. It must be possible for a company to solve only three software problems. This is not rocket science. Else you must provide us with a money-back program.
  • David FieldDavid Field Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I don't see why there should be a problem with the syncing of the phones as there was no such problem with the previous generation of riders ie v5 etc
    The previous generation was build on another software base. Current Rider 400 is made on Adroid.
    Tomtom has to fix saving contacts into memory, and updating after switching on.
    I think syncing speed through bluetooth can't be much improved. When you connect for the very first time to car's hands free it also takes a while.
    Or even first get recent calls, activate phone functions and get rest of phonebook in background later. It could be temporary solution.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    Yes, indeed this is the first Android based Rider and therefore somethings are not as good or as polished as previous units. But at the same time, the syncing of contacts is a reason I won't use the 400 linked to my phone. it takes so long. It seems to resync the contacts after every restart of the device. I have only got around 200 contacts but I gave up.

Now in my iPhone, I can change the settings so that it doesnt get access to my contacts, but then I prefer to know who is ringing before I answer
  • David FieldDavid Field Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    the-civvie wrote:
    Now in my iPhone, I can change the settings so that it doesnt get access to my contacts, but then I prefer to know who is ringing before I answer

If you do this, but I'm not sure how to, can to initiate calls from the TomTom. I ask as, when I arrive at work, I have to call security to open the car park barrier, and it's a pain to have to retrieve my phone from my box every time.
  • DavidFieldDavidField Posts: 21 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just noticed the announcement of the Go6200 with even more handsfree options. How can they offer this when they can't even get our Rider 4x0 telephone connections working properly?
    embrace yourselves for the rider 420 in April next year. (just a wild guess)

from the GO620 page:
    Performance Upgraded
    Start-up, destinations searches, route calculation - it's all faster with TomTom GO's upgraded processor. Each tap, swipe or voice command will be registered instantly so you can enjoy all the navigation you need with zero hassle.

As I kind of predicted back in April this year: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/rider-51/rider-400-audio-quality-not-improved-latest-software-1000309?postid=1075866

I'm afraid the bluetooth issues may be solved only with newer hardware in Rider ~420.
    How Tomtom is going to handle users of current devices? We are waiting for over year, than warranty period is gone and we are ... lost.
  • cms24485cms24485 Posts: 13 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Good morning dear all,

If you can stay away from any Tomtom products, I have bought my first and for sure my last! Reply from customer services just totally unacceptable!

Spending money on a GPS it is going to be a GARMIN ZUMO for motorbikes and forget all the rest, for cheaper options anything, but absolutely anything rather then Tomtom!!!!
    Anybody interested in a very poor equipment with doubtful capacities for a big price?
    Waiting for an update from Tomtom regarding this issue.
  • crispeycrispey Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    all this still hasn't been resolved! I am having the same issues. I wish I had read these before I got my rider 400, i would have stuck with my garmin!! The car ones are fine so whats the problem?
    Dear All,
    As promised last year finally problem solved, steps followed:
    1. Uninstall Tomtom and return it to the box.
    2. Install Garmin Zumo 595 lm
    Highly recommended step.
    Drive safely.
    I shall click that as best solution when I get on a computer
    Or computer!
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi crispey,

I'm sorry to hear the issue persists!

I can see that you haven't yet updated to the latest (v16.601) software we released last week. Could you update your Rider 400 and post back here again.

Also, please tell us the phone model and OS version you're using so that I can log it into the ticket. Do you have many contacts on your phone (e.g. dozens of hundreds)?

Cheers, Mikko
    Hi Mikko
    I have updated to the latest software now, my phone is an iphone 5 with 10.2.1 on it, yes I have quite a few contacts on my phone but my live 700 which is over 8 years old and is now unsupported due to lack of capacity starts up and is connected to my phone and hands free within seconds and the last time about 10 mins ago , I started up my rider it took over 1 and a half minutes to start up then another 3 mins to import the contacts so a total of 4 and a half minutes before you can set off. WHY?? My antiquated 700 downloads the contacts ONCE and stores them. This is not progress. Surely you can see why people get frustrated, tomtom are most probably the more expensive brand and give us loads of bells and whistles but why not just get the basics right? Who tests these devices? It cant be motorcyclists as there are too many design and software issues that make me shudder. Oh yes, I did do the soft restart and update ( why not inform subscribers theres an update, most other companies do) It does work better now but not a patch on my 8 yr old live 700, in my car, I switch it on, it connects to my phone, I put in my destination and its sorted in seconds, which is too antiquated for updates now. Please tell me why
    Hi crispey,

Thanks for coming back about this!

I'm glad to hear it's better now :D Compared to your old GO 700 your Rider 400 has much more to do at start up as it establishes all the connections (hands free, TomTom Traffic, MyDrive). On Rider devices Bluetooth® connectivity is also somewhat more complicated matter due to the many different types of connections it needs to support.

To make sure there's no glitch slowing down your device, I'd recommend you to factory reset your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data and trip statistics. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

We do send reminders for customers to update their devices after software and map releases. To avoid our servers slowing down due to eventual peaks caused by such reminders we usually time them a couple of weeks after release and send them out in batches.

Our technicians are investigating the issue with slow contacts syncing and I've added your information into the ticket as well to help them with this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    Dear Mikko,

I'm afraid nobody really cares about explanations. What matters is the result, and to tell the truth this new platform is not ready, especially for a motorcycle GPS, that requires a more special design to cover our special needs. Missing features, too many problems, bugs... I'm afraid you've lost more than some sales.

On many discussions with friends about navigation, although many people like TomTom's ease of use, the are not willing to buy one because of all of these problems. They don't feel safe, and they find the software inadequate to fulfill their needs. And yes, It's too expensive at least for the today's European south... With all that, even some cheap Chinese solutions looks more appealing...
    before my rider, I used my android phone with igo on it, then it stopped working (too much vibration on the bike?). If i would find an android phone which is waterproof, shockproof with a resistive screen, i wouldn't spend this much time on the tomtom rider. The makers of Tyre are currently building a navigation app and from what I've heard, it sounds good.

• Marco C.Marco C. Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    waynegold wrote:
    I have a new 400 all updated and about 1500 contacts and for a few days it did seem to work perfectly. Now it appears to want to sync every time it is switched on which can take almost an hour and if i receive a call during this time, it rings in my helmet, but there is no way to answer it while moving !! Come on TomTom there must be a better solution !! If you know there is a problem - fix it !

I have the same problem and I am very upset about it! It makes the Rider unusable for 30 minutes each time it goes in standby!
    Hi Marco,

Sorry for my late reply here!

Could you also confirm the number of contacts you have on you phone as well as your phone model and OS version, please?

Thanks, Mikko
  • Marco C.Marco C. Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Number of contacts is 1664, many of them with more than one number of course (mobile, home, office)
    Hardware is a Samsung Galaxy S7 (SM-G930F)
    System is Android 7.0
    It is a very limiting issue, as the Tomtom does not seem to store the contacts in its memory (nor in the 32gb microsd card I fitted in it) and each time it goes in standby and re-awakes it is syncing contacts from scratch. I disabled standby and powered the mount, but still every time I connect it it is the same story, no use for 30minutes (or a bit more ... ...).
    Thank you!