Rider 400/410- Syncing contacts takes a long time — TomTom Community

Rider 400/410- Syncing contacts takes a long time

David FieldDavid Field Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 31 in RIDER
The latest update is a step in the right direction and also a step back! Since it takes over 25 minutes to download and import contacts from my iPhone it really renders my 400 useless for communication on shorter commutes. It loses the contacts as soon as the phone disconnects from the TomTom and the 25 minutes cycle starts again. Even sleep mode loses contacts. During the importing time it is now even impossible to answer calls from the TomTom. The phone rings in the headset but the only way to answer is on the phone itself. The contacts should be stored on the device itself for at least the last phone that was connected just like the original rider.
I too also have the hoarse voice instructions however it is intermittent. Sometimes clear and sometimes hoarse..

Comments

• CTI RiderCTI Rider Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same experience with the hoarse voice instructions as many others - maybe 20 % of the time.
    The latest update worked perfect for me when importing contacts from my IPhone. Maybe you have more contacts than me, but it only takes 15-20 sec for me and I only have to do it once.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    I installed the update and it took only 20-30 seconds to import all my 123 contacts. I had then for other reasons reset my intercom/scala and tomtom so it had to re-import. Still a pain if it does it every time
  • David FieldDavid Field Posts: 12 [Outstanding Explorer]
    My iPhone is synced with my iMac so I have around 1400 contacts. It takes 27 minutes each time to sync the rider to the phone. Shouldn't really be a problem after it has synced initially as it should store the contacts and not have to do it each time.

As to the hoarse voice. It usually happens for the first few instructions then clears for most of the rest of the time it's in use.
  • the-civviethe-civvie Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    Sadly you are right, it syncs every time the 400 is restarted. I cleared my recent list and even that doesn't do much :( Ok I have a lot less than you but there should be no need to resync them. Maybe a future update will sort that
  • CTI RiderCTI Rider Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Strange - I have aprox. 160 contacts which took 15-20 sec. to sync.
    I use the newest update without having to resync after the 400 is restarted.
  • basixbasix Posts: 480 Superuser
    @MikkoK

Perhaps an idea to buffer the contacts on the tomtom per bluetooth device? I found it also rather annoying not being able to make a call immediately after leaving somewhere. Then I forgot about calling.

I am not a TomTom employee. Don't send me private messages.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 725 Superuser
    My iPhone is synced with my iMac so I have around 1400 contacts. It takes 27 minutes each time to sync the rider to the phone. Shouldn't really be a problem after it has synced initially as it should store the contacts and not have to do it each time.

As to the hoarse voice. It usually happens for the first few instructions then clears for most of the rest of the time it's in use.
    You may limit this using groups, and select them in the Bluetooth pairing settings of iPhone.
    Thanks, but I also use my phone for business and require most of the contacts to be on it.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi David,

Welcome to the forum!

Although you have a lot of contacts that sounds like a very long time for syncing them. I'd recommend you to factory reset your device by choosing Settings (cog wheel) - System - Reset - Reset. Please note, that this will delete your personal information, e.g. My Places and destination prediction data. You can save and restore My Places with MyDrive.

It seems that currently phone contacts are indeed automatically imported every time a phone is connected for hands free calling. I'll log this as an improvement request for the product team.

Cheers, Mikko
    I have already tried this but it did not make any difference
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi David,

I'm sorry to hear the issue persists!

Please, contact Customer Service for further investigation.

Cheers, Mikko
    There is still no solution to 27 minute sync
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,950 TomTom Moderator
    Hi David

I am sorry to hear about the syncing issue but now I have sent a heads up to the customer service so they get back to you with further troubleshooting's.

You should expect a reply from their end of today or tomorrow.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I've paired mobile phone with Rider 400 to check if during last months was any step forward here.
    The importing of contacts tooks 15 minutes. No improvement.
    And hoarse voice even without data transimission.
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 360 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    eldawido wrote:
    I've paired mobile phone with Rider 400 to check if during last months was any step forward here.
    The importing of contacts tooks 15 minutes. No improvement.
    And hoarse voice even without data transimission.

Sadly TomTom is reluctent to correct software errors while at the same time overfloding every bike magazin with commercials about the same error-riddled gps. This is a beta-software device and TomTom should add that to the commercials so new costumers knows what they are buying.
  • waynegoldwaynegold Posts: 9 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I have a new 400 all updated and about 1500 contacts and for a few days it did seem to work perfectly. Now it appears to want to sync every time it is switched on which can take almost an hour and if i receive a call during this time, it rings in my helmet, but there is no way to answer it while moving !! Come on TomTom there must be a better solution !! If you know there is a problem - fix it !
  • cms24485cms24485 Posts: 13 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi All, first time with the Rider 410... importing contacts from my iPhone... useless!!!!! Managed to do that the first time I switched the equipment on, after software updates now it sits for as long as 1 hour and it doesn't sync any contact!!!! So disappointed, should I sell it and by GARMIN? Thank you.
    I've already had the garmin and that wouldn't sync with my Bluetooth so I sold it and bought the tomtom !! My solution whilst not perfect is to stop the iPhone syncing contacts unless I'm going on a long ride. Sounds ridiculous !!
    Thanks waynegold! There must be another way for an equipment for this price!
    I agree and tomtom need to update the software to retain the contacts and only update the changes all of which would only take a few moments . Come on tomtom !!
    During last trip importing of contact took almost 1 hour. Each time after switching ignition off. Really frustrating.
    I had also different issues with ringing phone but no info on Rider display, hoarse voice, no reaction for the red end-call buton.
    Yesterday tried again on a long stint! Doesn't work, it is like the hands-free function doesn't exit. Frustrating. (ps - still waiting a reply from support).
  • ThomasGNThomasGN Posts: 360 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    cms24485 wrote:
    Yesterday tried again on a long stint! Doesn't work, it is like the hands-free function doesn't exit. Frustrating. (ps - still waiting a reply from support).

Are your sure that you are on the latest update? The hands-free function do exist from one of the latest versions.
    Thanks for your reply ThomasGN, "function doesn't exit" meaning "yes" the hands-free function is on Rider 410 software, however every time I try to use it starts syncing the contacts (blocking the screen) and it doesn't matter for how long I leave it syncing (longest tested so far 2 hours drive) it simply doesn't work. I have the equipment with the latest software and I have tried with different mobiles. Conclusion: although it's there, for me is the same as "doesn't exit". Cheers.
    Factory reset?
    During importing the contact book you see info on display and phone functions are not available. But should be able to exit to main navigation screen.
    It really can take more than 1 hour. If you make stops earlier it's useless.