Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl
Re: Frustrations with the 2535 Live
Yes if I need addresses I use the google feature. Its a waste of Tomtoms money as they have to pay for data kb to Jaspar, where the onboard poi lookup had been free to them.
mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn
[ Edited ]

Actually, for the last scenario:

View Map-->Options-->Show on Map-->check pois-->select the ones you want, then-->Advanced-->Coordinates and Done.

Result: When you tap a poi on the map, the lat/long will appear. And you can convey that info.........

By the way, if you install custom pois on your unit, if the data came with addresses, the addresses WILL show when you tap the icon on the map.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Master Explorer
SoCal
[ Edited ]

to me, this is a fatal flaw to an otherwise fantastic gps.  tomtom really hit a home run with the iq route/hd traffic concept but they seriously dropped the ball with a major blunder on a very basic issue...the need to know the address.  if they fix this issue, then i will be back, otherwise i'm returning to the magellan camp.  and i really hope that tomtom fixes this because the hd traffic/iq route combination is truly revolutionary. 

hopefully tomtom listens to this feedback and realize that this is a very important issue, particularly if you have the moderators of tomtomforums.com like dhn and mvl saying things like

"Totally agree about the first issue." (dhn)

and

"This address removal was the absolute dumbest feature takeaway that Tomtom has has ever made.   More stupid than any of the MyTomtom feature takeaways.  If any other brand had HD traffic, I would quit using Tomtom in a heartbeat for this feature alone." (mvl)

TomTom, if you you are listening and decide not to fix this feature, would you please license your hd traffic/iq route technology out to magellan or garmin?  thanks

Master Explorer
SoCal
[ Edited ]

mvl (and dhn),

you had mentioned on another forum:

"And the 2535m live has no buddies feature, nor does it have multi-waypoint itineraries."

why did tomtom dumb down their top-of-the-line 2535 live and "take-away" so many of the most basic features that are available from all of the other gps manufacturers.  i mean, these are basic needs that should be on every modern day gps.

• lack of addresses on the poi/favorites/recent destinations
  • lack of multi-waypoint itineraries (i assume this will scare away potential customers such as sales people who rely on this feature)
  • lack of an sd card slot (though i think they realized their error with the introduction of the new Go 825 Live, which has an SD card slot.  But its only available in Europe and not the U.S....and it certainly doesn't help current 2535/1005 users)
  • furthermore, it is so difficult to add an address to the favorites or poi list.  on the garmin and magellan it is so easy to add to favorites: just hit the "add to favorites" button after you are done inputting your destination.  in the tomtom you have to go thru so many sub-menus just to add a favorite or poi.  you cannot add a favorite after you input a destination (you would think they would have figured this out by now)
  • without a doubt, the tomtom user interface is the most clunky interface of all the gps manufacturers.  garmin has the most intuitive and easy-to-use interface, followed by magellan.  tomtom is not even in the same ballpark.
and what is more puzzling is the fact that these basic features were available on the older tomtom units.  why would they dumb down their latest and greatest????  as i have begun to use the tomtom 2535 live, more and more glaring weaknesses begin to pop up.  the hd traffic/iq routes seems to be the redeeming feature that may keep users around and force them to overlook the other glaring flaws.  it appears to be a case of "one step forward, two giant steps backwards..."  kudos to tomtom for their "traffic manifesto", but perhaps their next project should be the "basic features manifesto"...
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Fair question......

I think Marketing overruled Development. Promise the moon and let Development figure out how to deliver. Only when push came to shove, did TT realize that the concept of a web based interface was an unworking, inconsistent disaster.

Do you think the $$$$ guys at TT are happy that no revenue is being received from users worldwide that WANT to buy additional maps but can't? (Latest I heard is this will be remedied in 2 weeks, of course TT is not known for meeting deadlines).

I'm just a user of TomTom products like everyone else here. I don't answer to TT nor can I figure out their motivation. I'm sure TomTom doesn't knowlingly want to commit corporate suicide but there are times I wonder if that's all they are good at.

However................

All that said, slowly we are seeing promised features being added to the !x, 2X, Via, Start 2X models. So, development is figuring all this stuff out.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Master Explorer
SoCal
[ Edited ]

yes, you are a user just like everybody else on this forum.  but i hope tomtom realizes that you are a user who carries a lot of clout in the gps forum world.  and i hope they listen to what you have to say.  from what i read, they are looking for beta testers...but they should understand they need look no further than here on their own forums and on the forums you and mvl moderate.

Renowned Trailblazer
regor

SoCal, you made some very good points, most if not all of which could be provided through firmware updates I would assume.  I too wondered about the lack of ability to add multi-waypoints, but then, nothing is stoping me from adding the next way point once I've reached the first one.  A bit annoying, but in the end... do it before, do it after... pretty much the same time and effort.

POI addresses would be nice to have indeed and I hope TomTom would at the very least find a way to correlate the Lat and Long + actual physical Street Address without having to actually store the address if memory space is an issue.  If in the Map Display I can tap on the destination point and get the approximate street address, then why can the tomtom provide that very same information at the touch of a button ? May not the the actual street address, but a good enough approximation at least. All the information is there, it's just a matter of providing a quick way to display it.

*** GO2505TM ***
Master Explorer
SoCal
[ Edited ]

sure there are work arounds to get the desired information, but in this day and age of advanced software design, the information/address/etc should be easily accessible, particularly when the competition has much more refined user interface.  i shouldn't have to search thru the POI database for a location, and then have to re-navigate thru the tedious menu system to the google search (and then wait a few seconds during its search) in order to get the address.  we shouldn't have to be begging tomtom to include the address information...it should be understood that if you select a destination, you also want to know the address.  this is a gps afterall, isn't it?  isn't that the basic function of a gps: to give you the address and then get you there?  and if i were a salesperson who has multiple destinations, i'd be pretty annoyed if i wasn't able to plan my multi-destination itinerary in advanced.  all modern gps's have evolved to having multi-destination capability.  come on tomtom, gps's are so evolved now that tomtom shouldn't regress back into the stone ages by stripping their most advanced models of features and data that were previously available on older models (and i'm talking older models that are several years old).  and as i mentioned before, if lack of space is the reason that the address data is not included, then why did they hamper their top-of-the-line model with only 4gb of memory and without an sd card slot for future expanson???  i agree regor, that these are issues that can be fixed with future firmware updates, and i certainly hope they do...

Outstanding Wayfarer
mdscott

Yes there are work arounds for at least some of the issues mentioned. But I do think there are significAnt issues with release of what is advertised and promoted as the current "flagship" model when it is deficient in so many areas. As released it lacks significant capabilities available in older units

While TomTom is to be commended for stating that the underlying software (My TomTom) and the affected devices will be updated this assertion begins to have a hollow ring as the time frame continues to lengthen without resolution and with conflicting information. It is frustrating enough to have to return a device for replacement [installed map disappeared and replacement by download not supported] and then have the conflicting instruction -- You must back-up before returning; but back-up is not permitted for the 2535...

I continue to expect TT to resolve these issues and provide us and new owners with completed systems; but then I still look forward to colored eggs on Easter.

mds

TT 2535 TM WTE
TT Go 920 T
Supreme Navigator
Jimlad
[ Edited ]

regor wrote:

SoCal, you made some very good points, most if not all of which could be provided through firmware updates I would assume.  I too wondered about the lack of ability to add multi-waypoints, but then, nothing is stopping me from adding the next way point once I've reached the first one.  A bit annoying, but in the end... Do it before, do it after... pretty much the same time and effort.

I have to agree with regor here, I've used waypoints on my old 920t and I found it better to just enter the postcode of my next address when I'm ready to go, the address's I go to are often off road and I never reach the final point given by the device so it didn't move onto the next point on it's own, so I never used the function although I am a 'multiple destination  every day of the week guy'.

Imho the function of a navigation device is that you give it the destination and it takes you there with the least amount of fuss, everything else is frills and extras.

I'm not sure how you used to arrange to meet people in those pre-tech days, personally I have never used a gps to do that, nore is that a feature I would call necessary, but hey ho each to their own I guess.

**5000 user**

ex 1005 & 920T user