Apprentice Explorer
acatswhisker
POIs as destinations
[ Edited ]

If you agree that this functionality is important and should be restored, please leave a short relevant message of support here and perhaps together we can get TomTom to take notice.

I have recently bought a Go Live 1000 and am greatly disappointed to find that TomTom have removed the ability to navigate to or plan a journey to a distant POI (e.g. more than about 50 miles or 80kms away.  This is an absolutely key piece of functionality, which was certainly available on my previous version of TomTom (v6).  I probably selected more destinations by selecting POIs than by addresses, e.g. in my case to travel to:

• Caravan club sites and other holiday destinations
  • WW1 memorials and cemeteries
  • Key programmed locations such as channel tunnel or ferry access points, F1 circuit access points etc
  • My family and friends are all POIs as I do not have all their addresses committed to memory
  • Key shops and businesses
  • Landmark Trust properties
  • Other key planned destinations which I routinely create before holidays etc
  • I use the created POIs a method of planning journeys and holidays and for working out best routes etc, e.g. I am taking a minibus of friends on a tour of Belgium and France shortly.  The route is all planned via POIs, but if they are more than 50 miles apart I cannot navigate to my destination.

The work around offered is to select POI in city and find it that way, but frankly I don't know the nearest town or city to most of the above.

If you agree that this functionality is important and should be restored, please leave a short relevant message of support here and perhaps together we can get TomTom to take notice or is it just me and have I just wasted £250?

Revered Navigator
Wyvern46
Re: POIs as destinations

You're right, this has been discussed on a number of forums. It is causing difficulty. HD traffic information also seems to be restricted to a 50 mile radius. Mostly this is reasonable as you would expect things to have changed before you get there, but there are journeys where you have to make the choice between suitable routes at a point much further away than 50 miles.

Go550Live
Go530T
One XLT WE

Based: West London
NC
Kudos: 188
Solutions: 71

I too certainly hope TomTom will correct this function soon.

I am a TomTom user just like you.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution on the most helpful reply
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos button

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
New Traveler
boyle101

I agree as I also used this function

New Traveler
golfmaddad

I also find it very difficult as quite often I do not know where the nearest city within 50 miles is so it is a complete pain.

Also the 50 mile restriction for hd traffic is not far enough.  For example I live in Cornwall I regularly travel to Exeter, the route planned is always the A30 but there may be an incident close to Exeter which would have made the A38 a better choice.

Vanman
Topics: 6
Kudos: 61
Solutions: 9

I too think this is a pain. How can you know what town every POI is near? A global POI search would solve the problem.

New Traveler
l4xam

I agree - i would expect to be able to open up a poi category and look down the full list of poi s there (ie all caravan club sites)  - I like you would not necessarily know the nearest town to search. - this also seems more time consuming.  please tomtom update the software to improve our choices.

Master Explorer
TonyS

I fully agree.  The 50 mile/80 km limit on displaying POIs makes my new TomTom GO LIVE 1005 much less useful than my earlier TomTom GO 920.  Now if I want to change destinations while en-route I need to type in the name of a town or city close to the destination.  This is impracticable at best and potentially dangerous at worst. 

Like many others I wish to plan my journeys before I set off.  Mostly I use POIs that I have put into personal POI categories.  But, it has now become more difficult to access these.  Planning a route via a number of points seems to be impossible.  TomTom needs to remove the 50 mile limit on POIs, and re-think the navigation software to allow routing via a number of specified points.

Novice Explorer
JordanL

Thanks.  I'm having problems finding POI's far away and your post answered why.  Any luck on getting TomTom to change that?

Jordan

New Traveler
georgef61

I live in a very rural state and with my TomTom One 130 I could search for a nearest POI which most often be located more than 50 miles away.  With my new 1535TM I am unable to find the nearest POI because they are all located outside of the 50 mile search radius.

Please make this work like my old TomTom.

George