Master Traveler
JamieIII
Help with US Map update

I've downloaded the US map and managed to squeeze it on to my device by deleting the majority of the preinstalled voices. When I boot up the TomTom (XL IQ Routes Edition 2) it only gives me the option of UK or Ireland when I click to choose which country. Will the US maps only show when I'm actually in the US or have I missed something? I wouldn't want to get all the way over there and realise it's not been installed correctly.

Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn
Re: Help with US Map update

You should be able to access the US map by Manage maps-->switch maps on your device.

You don't have to be in the US to access the map.

Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds unless your model has a dedicated reset hole

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Niall
Topics: 40
Kudos: 399
Solutions: 92

Did DHN's advice resolve the problem or are you still in limbo?

UK & IrelandUSA & CanadaAustralia & New ZealandFranceItaliaDeutschlandNederlandSouth AfricaSloveniaPolska
Device - START 20

App 12.071.1370596.84 (0) (2092, 12/09/2013) 

Map 'Europe' v937.5937 (9/2014)  

MyDriveConnect 3.3.0.1812 (09/10/2014) 

Windows 7 Home 32bit 

Firefox 29.0.1

Java SE 7 Update 67

Flash 15,0,0,189

Living in France

Losely based on Stefan's signature

Help others identify useful content :-
- If someone posted something that was helpful?
Click the Kudos button
- If someone answered your question? Click Accept as Solution

Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex
The remarkably talented dhn is correct, as usual: you must switch the maps on your device prior to departure, they can NOT be switched without being connected to a computer, and logged in with TomTom Home installed. Use TomTom Home to switch the maps.
______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Exalted Navigator
tgold

Kex wrote:
you must switch the maps on your device prior to departure, they can NOT be switched without being connected to a computer, and logged in with TomTom Home installed. Use TomTom Home to switch the maps.
You should not need a computer to do that. Check in Preferences, where you will then need to scroll through its several screens, and find the button labelled Switch Maps or Change Maps. Other than to update maps, community shared updates and QuickFix or to buy new maps or accessory voices your device should be fully configurable using its own menus and screens.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex
Yes, tgold, but since his device does not have enough memory to hold both U.S. maps and U.K & Ireland and the same time, he will need TomTom Home to do the switch. Only devices with enough memory to hold more than one entire region (even if that means using an SD Card to hold one of the regions), can do the switch without a computer.
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Exalted Navigator
tgold
@Kex Your suggestion that JamieIII does not have enough main memory to hold both maps on his device is news to me and is contradicted by the Home screen display in his original post to this thread which shows both maps plus POIs, voices etc and still some 29.5MB free out of the 2GB of his device.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

You may be correct, tgold. I mostly use U.S.A. & Canada & Mexico maps, which take almost all of the memory on an XL model, but the OP may have purchased just the U.S.A. map version, which is smaller.

I don't see any Home screen display in his original post, but in theory, if he didn't use the whole U.S.A. & Canada & Mexico map, he may be able to fit a U.S.A. map alongside U.K & R.O.I. if his XL has 2 GB of memory. In that case, he should indeed be able to switch the maps on the device alone, without a computer, as you already suggested to him. In that case, he can use the Switch map option in his Preferences menus.

If he doesn't see a USA map listed in the maps available on the device, then he'll have to use TomTom Home to see why it's not there.

Exalted Navigator
tgold
@Kex - your inability to see the Home screen in http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Map-installation/Help-with-US-Map-update/m-p/533816#M13868 is inexplicable.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

It's news to me too! Makes you wonder what else I might not be seing!