Novice Explorer
Icutyourlawn

xl... flashing red x ...

stupid me tried to update. After having a month of use, now red x.  Have had a dead tomtom xl350m for a month now. tech support is crappy... chearful but of no use.

... bought from Canadian Tire... only bought due to lifetime maps and spoken street names.

now nothing works.

was even told to format... still nothing.

lost maps, reloaded with alternate map that was provided by tomtom, still won't work.

where can I shoot this thing?

Message 1 of 12 (1,582 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Icutyourlawn

Re: xl... flashing red x ...

looked up what others said to fix... but removal of aplication and reinstall only allowed me to get that one update. No other updates available. and when installed it won't reboot. stays on flashing red x.

:catmad:

Message 2 of 12 (1,580 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Icutyourlawn

also when hooked up using home2, it showes up as ONE, though it is an XL350m.

Windows clearly knows this is an XL, but tomtom does not?

Message 3 of 12 (1,579 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Take a deep breath and and glass of wine,  we will see if we can get you back running again. First some information.

You said you have lifetime map updates. Did you enter the activation code that came on a card with the gps?

When you formatted the gps did it format without any errors. Also would you provice the first two characters of the serial number?

I also assume that you do not have a backup of the gps is this corrected?

Where is said it was a TomTom One is normal for most XL models

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 4 of 12 (1,574 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Icutyourlawn

deep breath, loads and aims.. ok not yet.

I could not invoke the lifetime maps due to an error as soon as I hooked up. it said my software was the wrong version even though it was brand new and never hooked up before to any computer. I had map of us,can and mexico.

Spoken street names and red light cameras.

after hooking up nothing.

map was removed as was software while going through 4 or 5 people from tech support. finally after many deletes and installs a new map was put in by tomtom. but it was a map of only us and canada. and spoken street names option is also greyed as is other options. redlight cameras are also not available and lifetime maps is "not available for my device".

Two techs "helped" install the lifetime maps, but it did little and does not show that it is even possible.

first two letters are gk

never any errors with formatting.

ps thanks.

Message 5 of 12 (1,568 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

Well since you have tried about everything we'll go to the end game. We are going to bypass Home for right now and manually download the current version of the application and install it. I am assuming that the map folder is still on the gps.

I. Get current version of navcore

Download the current version of navcore ( gps application ) from this link.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.151.ghjkl.tts.CAB-navcore-XL-S.cab

Unpack the file into an empty folder on your pc. If you need a utility to unpack the file you can get a free one from here.

http://www.7-zip.org/

II. Remove the application from your gps

Using windows explorer (My Computer icon)  locate the map folder in the gps. It should be name USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P. 

Delete all files and folders except the map folder.

III. Install the current navcore in the gps

Using windows explorer copy all the files and folder that you unpacked earlier to the gps.

When all the files have been copied over to the gps, the gps directory should look something like this.

Untitled.jpg

Right click on the gps's drive and select eject.

You may unplug the gps and restart it. If everything is working you should not see the flashing red X now.

and if the map data is ok you should have a working gps.

There may be a few files missing like the startup / shutdown screens and voices but we can take care of that

later.

Message 6 of 12 (1,565 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Icutyourlawn

wow,

thank you.

it would be nice to have direct great answers like yours from the techs. I now have a working tomtom! yes it is still the wrong map, I don't have mexico, and it is 2009 instead of updated... tried to update, it says the number worked for lifetime maps but no updates. also imported voices, but still have to find computer voices for spoken street names. Start up and shutdown pics were installed but they don't show.

Red light cams are still grey. But it mostly works!!! I will be using it tonight likely... so the timing was perfect.

is there a link for the proper map that came with this thing?

Message 7 of 12 (1,552 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

If you have lifetime map updates with your unit and you still have the activation code, you can connect customer service. The lifetime map option is actually set at the TomTom server in your account. If you are not getting the updates customer service can manually set the option in your account. I do not know if you should have mexico or not. some units are shipped with it and some without.The current map version number is 880.xxx which will go to 885.xxx sometime this week (map updates due for release this week).

For your traffic cams, you should be able to set that option by selecting "TomTom Services" in the gps and performing an update.

But if you still are not getting them talk to customer service because it to is set in your account information, I believe.

In any case if you still can't get things all worked out, remember your gps is under warranty. Just hang on to the proof of purchase and the sheet with the activation code.

Message 8 of 12 (1,548 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Icutyourlawn

I have been able to update, but only can/us map. box shows mexico too.

Spoken streetnames not possible, grey... but on box, as are iq routes...

I did put in the lifetime map updates... it did.

redlight cam still grey.

the listing of files to unpack was much shorter than what you displayed is that a factor?

Message 9 of 12 (1,509 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

The reason there are a differences in the number of files and folders is that I have a different model gps

As for the cameras try this, go to Home -> Manage my device -> Install items from Computer, look for an item on the list called safety cameras. If you open this item (click on the plus symbol) you can click on the "add" button to install it on the gps. If there are more than one safety camera entry, select the one with the highest version number ( the version number will be displayed when you click on "more info".

Let me know how this goes.

Message 10 of 12 (1,499 Views)
Please use plain text.