New Traveler
soptick6

tomtom xl 340 s

I just purchased a tomtom xl 340 s from the tomtom store. the software on it is from 2009 and 2010. It has nearly 2 GB of memory on it but has only 66 MB of unused memory. Does this mean that I purchased a used or refurbished tomtom from the tomtom website store?

Message 1 of 3 (204 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: tomtom xl 340 s

[ Edited ]

No, while 66 mb of free space is a little small for just the North American map, you may have several voices on it consuming the memory. My XL340 with one computer voice and two recorded voices has about 350mb free. The North American map consumes over 1.5 GB.

Before doing any thing to the gps you need to make a backup of the memory. We recommend using windows explorer.

Here is a link for the procedure. Do not delete anything or Update the gps until you have a good backup.

http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.h...

After and only after you make a backup of the gps, you can use tomtom Home -> Manage my device and check what is on the gps and remove items that are not needed. Remove all voices that you are not using. You can save these voices to the computer using Home -> Manage my device" -> "copy to computer" before removing them from the gps.

There are a few other items you can remove to free up space. Using windows explorer open the gps's drive and find the following files. You may delete everything in the folder "licences". You may also delete the file "InstallTomTomHOME.exe"

This is an outdated installation program of Home for you computer. There is no need to keep this file around.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 2 of 3 (201 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Re: tomtom xl 340 s

Not too likely. It may be a new unit that is old, and thus the software and maps are very out of date. Follow all the direcctions to register your XL, install TTHome as per instructions. At this point do a computer backup:

http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.h...

Now you should  start the update process by connecting to TTHome. Connect to computer, turn on your XL and when asked if you want to connect tap Yes. TTHome should now begin looking for updates. When it says your updates are complete (the process may take hours; use a reliable cable connection to the internet, not wireless, preferably use a USB cable on the back of your computer, not from a hub, keyboard, monitor etc.) safely disconnect (Device/Disconnect Device).

You should now try the update again, incase more are available. The latest version of application software is v 9.061, and the map is v880.

Once you have all the updates, reconnect and find "Operate my XL" and navigate to some point in your city. When the navigation is complete tap done and safely disconnect. This step is not always necessary, but is a good idea after majoy updates. You should be good to go

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 3 of 3 (200 Views)
Please use plain text.