Apprentice Traveler
kingkong

tomtom XL GPS problem.

Hi I  have a tomtom xl, it as been struggling to find a gps signal over the last 2 weeks it is all upto date, i even had to factory reset it today to set gps signal, it is only 2 months old, i never had a problem like this with my tomtom one I had for over 5 years

thanks

Message 1 of 21 (16,215 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: tomtom XL GPS problem.

[ Edited ]

You gps should be under warranty, but before shipping it back try uninstalling and reinstalling the application in the gps.

First: make a backup of the contents of the gps using windows explorer. Per this link.
http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.h...

Second: check the flash memory in the gps to make sure there are no errors.
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9908/kw/memory%20error

Third: If the memory has no errors or they were repaired by the check disk utility you just ran, uninstall the software on the gps and reinstall it.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2053/kw/reinstall

Note: when reinstalling the gps software you may have to perform up to three updates to get everything installed. The  gps may not work correctly until all the updates are installed. Be sure to restart Home and the gps between each update. If the gps won't connect to the computer normally just reset the gps with it connected to the computer. The gps should automatically try to connect to the pc.

Forth: If the gps is working now, there are a few misc files like startup / shutdown screens that you can copy back to the gps from the backup copynyou made. Here is a list of those files. Just use windows explorer to copy them from the main directory of the backup to the main directory in the gps. Do worry if you do not find all these files are not on your backup. Not all gps models have all these files.

1. antitheftw.bmp   (this may have the named antitheft.bmp)
 2. autorun.inf
 3. splashw.bmp      (this may have the named splash.bmp)
 4. suspendw.bmp     (this may have the named suspend.bmp)
 5. tomtom.ico

If everything is working ok now we recommend making a final backup of your gps. That way if something happens in the future all you have to do is delete everything on the gps and copy the backup to the gps and you are done.

If that does not help you should contact Customer Service about exchanging the gps. The number in the UK is:

0845 161 0009 Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. UTC

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 2 of 21 (16,200 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,379
Solutions: 554

[ Edited ]

@kingkong: Is the problem like you can't get GPS signal at all, or it takes too long. Some reported similar problems with the latest firmware. Do a backup as Traylaw mentioned above, and if those steps didn't help, try to revert to 8.x version to see if that does any good.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 3 of 21 (16,193 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Caju

I discovered the same problem with my tomtom go live only today. I have not updated anything at all since I bought it. Apparently there is a new update necessary to allow some units to get their gps signal so I doubt it will help if you reinstall the same firmware as before. I need to attempt the latest update myself.
Message 4 of 21 (15,519 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,379
Solutions: 554

@caju: Your device in this case shouldn't be the one from this forum section, but the ones connected via MyTomTom. If that's the case, follow this:

http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/TomTom-GO-800-1000-2000-Via/SOLUTION-for-the-GPS-SIGNAL-issue/m-p/2...

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 5 of 21 (15,513 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
junk

Tom Tom have major problems their new go live does not work properly and they don't have any bright sparks who can resolve this problem.

Don't bother buying any new Tom Tom their so unreliable.

Message 6 of 21 (13,727 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
jennyj

I have had exactly the same problem with my Tom Tom- can't find a GPS signal -, which I have had for about 8 months so is still under warrenty. I took it back to Curry's in Bedford, England, where it was purchased from, last month, to have it sorted out. It was OK for a few weeks, then last weekend when I really needed it, it was searching for a GPS signal for over an hour and a half, and found one when I was a few hundred yards from home! It's gone back to Curry's to be fixed again. It's a 20 mile round trip into Curry's from where I live, adding to the frustration of having shelled out about £120 for something that simply can't be trusted as to whether it's going to work or not. I asked just how many times I'll be expected to return it to Currys for repair, and what happens when the warranty runs out, but only got the vaguest of answers. I think it's absolutely disgraceful that I've purchased this sat nav all good faith, to be messed around like this with time and petrol costs I can't afford. In my view, Tom Tom should have replaced these faulty sat navs as soon as they were aware there was a problem with the chip used - so it was supplied by a third party? Not the buyer's problem. Tom Tom has done endless damage to its reputation by not being more proactive in sorting out their innocent purchasers' problems. No wonder Garmin occupy the first, second and third positions of best selling sat navs on Amazon - I for one will never entertain the idea of buying another Tom Tom, and I'm very active in telling all my friends and colleagues to do likewise.
Message 7 of 21 (11,253 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
kingkong

Hi Jenny

tomtom told me to do this and i haven't had any proplems since, give this a try

To resolve any issues where you are unable to obtain a GPS signal, please do the following:-

STEP 1 - Creating a Manual backup of your map

- Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
- Perform a reset on your device (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 )
- Connect your device to the computer and turn it on
- Open the Home software, go to page 2 and press on the "Manage My Device" (Go, ONE, XL) button.
- Tick your map and press on the "Copy to Computer" button

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device.

If you are unable to complete step 1, please reply back with any error messages that you receive at this point.

STEP 2 Delete the following files from the device

Reset your TomTom device as shown on http://www.tomtom.com/6965

Now on your Computer, in the system tray, (in the bottom right hand corner by the time, there is a little red TomTom HOME logo, if its not there, click on the little arrow pointing towards left to show all the hidden icons).  Right click on the TomTom logo and select exit.

-Open My Computer (Start -> My Computer)
-Now please connect your TomTom to the computer and turn it on.
-Your TomTom drive will appear in My Computer as drive E,F,G,H,I etc 
-In Here, please delete any folders called ‘Ephem’ and any folders called ‘GL’ if they exist.
-Delete all of the loose files, but not the remaining folders.
-Now disconnect your TomTom from the computer by using the Safely Remove Hardware in the bottom right hand corner by the time on your computer.
-Your TomTom device wil have a red cross on it which is normal for now.

STEP 3 Open TomTom HOME (Start->All Programs->TomTom->TomTom HOME 2)

-Log in to your account with your email address and password for your TomTom account.
-On Page 2 of TomTom HOME, click on ‘Manage my Device' and then on the 'Items on Computer’ tab
-Tick the option for ‘Applications’
-Tick the option for ‘GPS Quick Fix’
-Click on ‘Remove Selected Items’

STEP 4 Update the Application

-Reset your TomTom, Connect it to your PC and THEN turn it on.
-HOME will now search for update automatically. If not please click on “Update my Device”
-Select the application to download and install (ONLY the application)
-Once the application had installed, click on “done” and HOME will say that it is restarting your device.
-At this point, please disconnect your TomTom device and let it load up as normal.
-Now reconnect to the PC, your TomTom device will ask to connect then please tap “yes”
-When the message appears in HOME advising a new application has been installed, please click on ‘Done’
-HOME will now search for updates again. 
-Please repeat parts 5, 6 and 7 of STEP 4 until the application is no longer offered as a download.

STEP 5 Update the GPS quick Fix

- When the application is not offered anymore, please update the GPS Quick Fix for your TomTom device.
- Disconnect your TomTom device from the computer again and turn it off.

Turn the device on and leave it for up to 45 minutes to find the GPS signal again.

If you find that you are still not receiving a GPS signal after this time, then we need to book the device for repair.
Message 8 of 21 (11,213 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
jennyj

Hi

Thank you very much for giving this help, but oh what a performance!  I am not very computer literate, and also, please bear in mind that we can only receive 0.5 Mb in the rural village in which I live, which is not enough to allow large files to be downloaded.

I'm old fashioned enough to believe that when you buy something new, it should perform its functions without the purchaser having to jump through hoops to get what they thought they were buying - a functioning sat nav.

I have returned the offending Tom Tom to Curry's for repair, and have also managed to get a UK phone helpline number.  After a considerable wait on the line listening to 'I'll be there' by Michael Jackson (rather ironic under the circumstances), a helpful gentleman assured me that if the fault wasn't rectified within 28 days, I would be entitled to a replacement. The way things have gone with this sat nav, we'll soon be there.

I was amused however when he recited the 'leap year chip glitch'.  Just how stupid do these people think we are - what on earth has a leap year got to do with GPS signalling?  Another millenium bug which never happened.  The truth of the matter is much more likely to be a faulty, probably cheap, chip supplied by a third party.  Why not just admit it instead of making up these fairy tales?  Did Garmin or any other make of sat nav suffer from the 'leap year chip glitch'?  No they didn't, because it doesn't exist.

Anyway, thanks for your help, but I'm afraid I have better ways of spending my time than sitting at a computer trying to rectify a fault  with a piece of kit which should never have happened in the first place if it had been made of satisfactory quality.

Regards

Message 9 of 21 (11,199 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
zorst

Just wanted to go on record saying that TOM TOM is a huge disapointment.  I purchased my Tom Tom one 130 with lifetime maps 3 years ago and now I go to udate my make and it says I'm out of date.  The new map will cost me 59 dollars.  This is such BS.  I don't use my Tom Tom but I noticed that it does cover Mexico (my phone doesn't) I would rather use my phone since my phone has bluetooth as does my car.  And I can just listen on the cars radio as it gives me turn by turn directions.  I will never have anything to do with Tom Tom again.  I know mine was supposed to come with lifetime map updates because my previous one did not and I would have never bought another unless it did.  I got my first smart phone shortly after getting the Tom Tom and thought it was a waste that I had purchased the Tom Tom and now was using my phone instead.  But I am so Pissed off at Tom Tom for not honoring the lifetime free updates that I had to mention it here and now other places as many as I can find.  

Message 10 of 21 (4,585 Views)
Please use plain text.