Novice Explorer
steveM

sound keeps muting

OK checked the forums and my problem seems unique. When starting my XL350TM I have no sound, it is muted. Turn sound on ok for a short while and goes off. Did soft reset, operate my gps and finally reloaded the application and still the sound goes directly to mute even after having it set for sound prior to turning the device off. Any answeres please, a gps without sound isn't worth having.

Message 1 of 9 (993 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: sound keeps muting

That is a unique problem, you might try running tomtom's clear flash utility. You run it on your pc with the gps attached. 

It is recommended to run the utility three time.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6211/kw/clear%20flash

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 2 of 9 (992 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Jason75

I have a used one coming in to the repair bench with this exact problem, sound drops out when going to certain menus. Could be a speaker going south.

Message 3 of 9 (895 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

If you can restore the sound by going back to the voiume control then something keeps turning the sound down / off.

You might give running the utility "clear flash tool"

Here is the link to the download and instructions for using it.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6211/kw/clear%20flash

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 4 of 9 (892 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Jason75

This xxl 550 TM  unit had  an older navcore. 9.16 or something. It would mute when changing menus. I updated it to the current one, did a reset,  and problems went away.

Message 5 of 9 (875 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Asterion

Re: sound keeps muting and constant volume / sound problems (compounded by poor interface design)

Just had a frantic phone call from my 71 year old mother who is stuck in a city in the UK thanks to my TomTom which I lent having stopped giving directions. I'm guessing it's muted itself.
Really, this is the last straw for me with these **bleep**ty 1990s TomTom devices. They're interface is the most unintuitive, hald-arsed, cheap and poorly designed of any electronic device. The company seems to have taken precisely no notice of the great strides in interface design and accessibility taken by companies such as Apple, and stuck with their 'software engineer-centric' user model from the 20th Century. There is no excuse for this heroic laziness. For example, the manual talks about accessing a volume "slider" — there IS no "slider" (except, perhaps, in the TomTom engineer's imagination). There are no interface cues AT ALL. It is simply shocking and unforgivably LAZY design.
Apple is about to move to version 7 of its iOS user interface, and TomTom appears to be stuck at version zero. Again, there is simply no excuse for this — apart from laziness and cynical greed on this lacklustre company's part, of course.
This is just the latest in a long, LONG line of problems that I have experienced with this joke of a device. This after NUMEROUS, resets, updates and bug fixes. Products as bad of this should be RECALLED rather than 'bug fixed'. I've told my mother to dump the TomTom in a rubbish bin at the next garage they come to and to buy a road map, which she is doing. Trashing the TomTom is her best option of getting to her destination. I will never be going NEAR this piss-poor company or its shoddy products again.
If ever an enterprise deserved to fail, it is TomTom. I look forward to toasting their demise.
Message 6 of 9 (488 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
steveM

Re: sound keeps muting and constant volume / sound problems (compounded by poor interface design)

A little harsh aren't we. Up above your post are two pieces of information posted to help you. Did you try them. Also you didn't mention what model you have which may help others in helping you. The slider exists on my model, the running application is updated frequently to correct noted problems. Have you even tried updating your Tom Tom.

Message 7 of 9 (484 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Asterion

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your helpful questions, but please don't trouble yourself. The TomTom in question is long gone now.

I realise that most users of this forum will be happy with the use model that has been established whereby TomTom can sell unfinished / non-functional products and then release "updates" and "fixes". This is a business model that I am no longer willing to support, as it engenders a slap-dash, quality doesn't matter, sell-it now-and-sort-it-later approach to product design motivated by greed and laziness.

For those happy with this, I bow to your patience. Myself, I have ditched my relationship with TomTom in a motorway services rubbish bin somewhere on the M5 in the UK. And from the volume and depth of problems discussed on these forums, I can only say good riddance.

Message 8 of 9 (475 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,400
Solutions: 554

It is just pure flaming for no reason. There is a slider on the old devices, there always was. In fact on all the TT devices there is a slider, even on their smartphone apps. On NAV2 and NAV3 devices, you tap the lower left corner of the screen, and the slider comes up.

EVERY product, even a TV come with updates and fixes, due to there is no way on Earth to check all sort of issues...let alone user error...

If you have a look at any other forum of any other brand (some don't even have their own, official forum...), you will see the exact same issues.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 9 of 9 (468 Views)
Please use plain text.