New Traveler
tombrooks38

lost parts for the cigarette lighter plug (tmc receiver)

Can anyone tell me if parts are avaliable for the cigarette lighter plug (tmc receiver). I have lost the fuse the fuse cover and nut. the cord works fine i just need thoes parts and really dont want to have to purchase a new cord.

Thanks 

Tom

Message 1 of 20 (4,732 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
spider362

Re: lost parts for the cigarette lighter plug (tmc receiver)

Open up the rest of the plug (where the wires go in) and see if there are only 2 wires connected to the plug. One wire should connect to the center button that sticks out the end (this is the "+" wire) and one wire should connect to the metal sliders along the side of the plug (this is the "-" wire).

If that's all that's connected to the plug you can get a replacement plug at Radio Shack and wire it back up yourself or have someone do it for you. Shouldn't cost but a couple of $.

-------------------------------------------
Device: XXL540TM
Device App Version: 9.430.890926
Map Version: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P v885.4097
TomTom Home version: 2.8.3.2499
Message 2 of 20 (4,723 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

[ Edited ]

Since this cord has an RDS-TMC receiver built in, it's well worth saving! What exactly is missing of the following loose parts when the nut is removed (if I understand your original post, all of them are missing):

1) Nut,

2) Fuse,

3) Chrome pin.

There is also a spring stuck in the bottom of the cavity intended to house the fuse, but that seems to be well attached. As spider362 suggests, if you rewire it to another (with an appropriate output rating, probably 5V, 1.2A), then you will have saved your receiver.

Otherwise, the standard OEM TomTom car charger for XL or XXL models (you didn't mention which model you have) also have the exact same mechanism, and would work with your RDS-TMC unit as a source for parts. You might even get lucky at Radio Shack (or an auto parts store) and find one of their models with a nut, fuse and pin that will screw directly into your existing adapter.

That's also something that might be worth getting off eBay, as long as it is a genuine TomTom charger, so that you can just take the missing parts and add them to your receiver. Here's one that looks right to me (no guarantees!), for under $10 (buy it now).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tomtom-car-charger-input-12-24v-output-5v-1-2a-mini-usb-/320739948074?pt=LH_Defa...

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 3 of 20 (4,712 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
daddawg51

I just joined this forum to research this issue.  I purchased two XXL's in late November, 2010 and both receiver tips have come apart..  I found these parts for one of these tips when it fell apart, but one of my son's, who has the other XXL, can not find the silver tip, and black plastic octagonal cover. From the responses I see, TOM TOM does not provide these individual parts for sale ?  One would guess that these are not secured at the manufacturing location.  TOM TOM should add instructions to tighten this area before first usage as part of the start up procedure.  

Message 4 of 20 (4,371 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
JBdJM

Apparently it is a continuing issue.  I cannot remember if I bought my TomTom 1-2 yrs ago, and I am on a trip and went to plug in my unit and realized when it wouldn't get a charge that the tip is missing.  bummer!

Message 5 of 20 (4,157 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
johnco

I have been trying to ascertain whether a standard car charger would be a direct replacement for the charger/receiver as the lead supplied has an output of 5v instead of the standard 12v.Also would the unit work with a standard charger or will it only work with the VERY expensive charger/receiver lead? Why Tom Tom do not supply parts to replace the obvious design problem as the fuse,nut and silver bit must cost them only a few pence[cents].If I have to buy a direct replacement it would be cheaper to buy another less complex unit  than the XL335 T.

Tom Tom support have been very slow in responding and I have found more from this forum than from them.

The standard car charger[ £15/$24] in the UK does not seem to be made in a similar way[no fuse] but cannot tell as boxes are in rigid plastic so unable to look and very few retailers stock spares anyway.

Message 6 of 20 (3,992 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

[ Edited ]

The difficulty with any other standard replacement is that it will not have the correct receiver for traffic included. If you need a replacement with the traffic receiver, I would check pricing and availability on amazon.co.uk (or compare also with eBay, if you are happy with that).

Remember also (from my response above) that a standard TomTom charger, as long as it's OEM, should provide the spare parts needed for the traffic receiver model at a fraction of the cost of a new traffic receiver charger.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 7 of 20 (3,985 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
johnco

Thanks for the reply-I have ordered an OEM charger @ £1.99 and will see if the parts from it are compatable but at that price it is worth trying.Will keep you updated on whether it works.

Message 8 of 20 (3,978 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
jaysue

Hello, this is a useful thread and thanks for posting.  My TMC receiver cord (ciagarette lighter adaptor) has stopped working entirely - I have tried to reseat the fuse and nut and cover and regardless of which direction I seat the fuse in, the cord is not working (light does not come on, no charge to the TomTom device).  I looked at the fuse and I can see one wire (not sure if there should be two wires).  The replacement cord is priced on the TT website at $69.95 in the US and is not even orderable  on the site (and seems expensive).  Does anyone have any thoughts to help me out (I know I could buy a replacement on E-Bay for example) - is there any potential in trying to source a new fuse for example?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Message 9 of 20 (3,792 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
spider362

Take you old fuse to an automotive store like Advance Auto Parts or Pep Boys, or your local service station, if you still have one, and they can tell what fuse you need.

Don't know any Ebay suppliers.

-------------------------------------------
Device: XXL540TM
Device App Version: 9.430.890926
Map Version: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P v885.4097
TomTom Home version: 2.8.3.2499
Message 10 of 20 (3,783 Views)
Please use plain text.