New Traveler
madams07

factory reset...

My device isn't working and no one has been able to help me, so I'm looking to do a factory reset but the only way I know how to do it is with in the device/application. I was wondering if there was a way to do it in tomtom home on my computer, or even within the various files from the device on my computer. And just so you know I have a mac. I don't know what else to do, so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks. 

Message 1 of 16 (38,725 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Re: factory reset...

You can do a factory reset in TomTom HOME probably, if you use the 'Operate my XL' function. Have you tried a normal (hard) reset? You can find the instructions for that here: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965.

Message 2 of 16 (38,713 Views)
Please use plain text.
Ove
Neophyte Traveler
Ove

I have a similar problem, but I cannot reset it either by pressing the ON/OFF button, or by "Operat my XXL" (as that is greyed out!)

What I need is a means to do a hard, new-out-of-the-box reset.

FWIW, press and hold of the ON/OFF button for 25 seconds (to be sure) results in a display of system info (and date set to somewhere in  2000), and then a restart again.

If I connect the device to the PC the icon is TomTom HOM for "Operate my XXL", "Get free map corrections from Map Share(TM)"  and "Back up and restore" buttons are greyed out.

Help please!

Message 3 of 16 (33,383 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

[ Edited ]

Try again the procedure as described here: http://tomtom.com/6965. Hold the power button until you hear the drums. What is actually your problem with your TomTom? What does not function properly?

Message 4 of 16 (33,376 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
catrina

You are an angel! I read your post while seraching for a way to fix my problem,. I mistakenly hit the factory reset button and I couldn't even understand the language it was in! I did what you suggested, hit the button for 25 seconds and voila! My Tom Tom is back to normal.  Thank you so very much!

Message 5 of 16 (30,861 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

You're welcome Catrina :-). Good to hear your TomTom is working again :smileyhappy:.

Message 6 of 16 (30,847 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
icko123

Message 7 of 16 (30,399 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,292
Solutions: 537

?

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 8 of 16 (30,394 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
J4801

Dear Megalos,

You have been a hero in helping out the people as you have helped me i just got my gps running like new :smileyhappy: 

Thank you so so so much. 

Be blessed!

Message 9 of 16 (17,967 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

I'm glad to hear your TomTom is running again :-). You're most welcome :smileyhappy:.

Message 10 of 16 (17,942 Views)
Please use plain text.