Apprentice Traveler
theearl

dead battery

Why when the internal battery of my tomtom became dead  did the tomtom not keep working whilst pluged into a live 12volt socket ,if the battery on my laptop is dead or disconnected it still works whilst plugged into the mains as do other things, so why not the tomtom.

Message 1 of 6 (1,433 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Re: dead battery

It should still  work, but I would try charging your device for a couple of hours first without turning it on. These work best using a continuous charge, in fact is required if your have the TMC-RDS receiver. Running the battery dead is bad for the battery as is high heat or cold. It may be your battery has failed.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 2 of 6 (1,426 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
theearl

The battery on my tomtom had failed and i have now fitted a new battery, but why did it not work with the old battery as it was plugged into a live 12 volt socket

Message 3 of 6 (1,412 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

The charger does not bypass the battery to run the device. Bad battery = no gps device.

Message 4 of 6 (1,398 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
robbarron

I have a Tom Tom Go live 1000 Europe and I have to say it has been pretty poor since I bought it 20 months ago. Now the battery has died yet it does work when plugged into the 12v socket on my car. Take it off the holder (and charger) and it dies instantly. I do not think it should be doing this after much less than 2 years and feel TomTom should sort this out. How do I get service so that I can actually use my very expensive Sat Nav?

I have been so disappointed so far. Recently I paid again for the Live Traffic for 12 months. It took over one month before it started working so I lost a whole month that I'd paid for. It mostly doesn't work now either. I updated my maps and the maps were still out of date and kept sending me down one-way streets on my holiday in Valencia.

If this doesn't get fixed I'm going over to Garmin next time. TomTom has all the glossy advertising but it's an expensive waste of money :smileysurprised:(

Rob Barron

I use: Go Live 1000

How to do a Full Reset: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965

Message 5 of 6 (1,225 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

First, I would contact TomTom to see if they might still be able to help. http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/contact

If you must replace it yourself, here are some helpful links.

A video to replace any GPS battery (must search for specific model):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wUysXky-DE&feature=channel_video_title

You can order batteries from TomTom's web site (go to Shop); and you can also check here:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=TomTom+XL+batteries&oe=utf-8&um=1....

Hope you get it going again.

Message 6 of 6 (1,215 Views)
Please use plain text.