Novice Explorer
digitaar1
Accepted Solution

XXL can't find usable GPS signal and reboots after 90 seconds

Hi all,

I know, it's stupid. Just a few days before my holidays, I've bought a TOMTOM XXL. Late at night, TomTomHOME said that my system was up to date. The next day, we've mounted the device to the windscreen and activated it. After answering some questions and the destination, the display said that there was no GPS-signal. After exact 90 seconds the system reboots and I have to answer those questions again. And again, no gps signal and a reboot after 90 seconds. Oh my god. Wish I've tried it earlier. Resetting the system gives no solution. The only thing I can set, regarding the GPS, is degrees, minutes/degrees but there is NO satelite activity.

No graphical bars that moves or, like my previous device, a turning orange/black beachball in the upper right corner.

What could be worng and, more important, how can I fix this? Or is the device broke and should I return it to my supplier?

Best regards

Martin

Message 1 of 9 (2,429 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Re: XXL can't find usable GPS signal and reboots after 90 seconds

Have you connected to your computer and done all the updates?

If you try to get gps while moving, especially the first time you use it can take a long time. Try going outdoors and turn it on with an unobstructed view of the sky. It can take 10-15 minutes. Planning an A to B route starting at some poi in the vicinity usually works the best.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 2 of 9 (2,424 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
digitaar1

"

Have you connected to your computer and done all the updates?

If you try to get gps while moving, especially the first time you use it can take a long time. Try going outdoors and turn it on with an unobstructed view of the sky. It can take 10-15 minutes."

Yes, I.ve done all the updates. TT Home sais that my system is up to date, except for some things in France, but I'm not in France, I'm still in the Netherlands. Still, updated this information. You said it might take up to 10 or 15 minutes. Not on my system, after exact 90 seconds (1,5 min) it reboots. Over and over agian. Wish it stayed on for 15 minutes. This can't be good.

Regards

Martin

Message 3 of 9 (2,412 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Sorry, I guess I got distracted by the no gps signal. Your problem is reboot after 90 secs. Try removing and replacing the app for t he xxl as described here: http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9091

Message 4 of 9 (2,408 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
digitaar1

Hi,

I've re-installed the app and.... it works!!!

Yes. I'm very glad. Thanks for the support, the solution was very well described, even for a foreigner who's native language isn't english. Anyway, you've made me very happy.

Best regards

Martin

Message 5 of 9 (2,401 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

That's great, and I'd say your English is pretty good.

Message 6 of 9 (2,399 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
philthomas

I have exactly the same problem as described here but the online address with the solution is no longer available.  Can uyou reinstate or advise otherwise.

Message 7 of 9 (606 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Your first step would be to try to reset your XXL buy holding the on button till you hear the double drum roll. This may take 20 seconds or so.

If that doesn't work, connect your XXL to your computer and do a computer back-up of your XXL drive.

Your general guidelines are here, and you should look this over.

https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6133/kw/replace%20app%20on%20xxl/related/1

Next connect to TTHome then click on Manage My Device, then find your App; click it to Remove Item from Device, but do not copy to computer, then go to Update My Device. You should be offered a new app. If a map is also offered do not select that yet. You must first download the app.

Safely disconnect and reconnect and restart your device to see if a newer version App is offered. If you have the latest version, you should now be able to check the reboot problem.  If the reboot problem is fixed you can add other updates as offered.

Hope this helps.

Message 8 of 9 (604 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
philthomas

Excellent - thanks a lot.

Message 9 of 9 (603 Views)
Please use plain text.