Master Explorer
TheApiarist
Accepted Solution

XL Live Stuck on Start-Up Screen

My XL Live won't get past the start-up screen; it holds that for about 45 seconds then reboots, but then gets stuck again. It had been working perfectly ten minutes previously.  I tried the usual fixes, uninstalling the application and maps, the cfg file, scanning/fixing disk errors etc but can't get it to run after reinstalling.

When I connect via TT Home it downloads application version 8.419 first, I then install the map.  Using this set of files the system works, but I then don't have speed cameras or fuel prices.  For example, if I try to install fuel prices (either from the internet or the PC) I get the error message " Home has prices for a station not on your map."  It appears to accept the cameras file from the PC but they don't appear on the device.

If I reconnect to the PC, Home update will then ask (by default) to upgrade the application to version 9.430 (which is what was installed before the device went wrong) ; if I go with this I end up with the original fault where it won't go past the start-up screen/reboot cycle.

I've currently got it working by restoring earlier versions of the application and maps but would like to get back to the latest files.  Has anyone got a fix for this problem, please? 

Message 1 of 36 (5,711 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Re: XL Live Stuck on Start-Up Screen

How did you uninstall the application? When you remove the map folder from your device (make sure to backup), do you still experience the problem?

Message 2 of 36 (5,707 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
TheApiarist

I used 'Manage Your XL' to remove the application and map.  I've also tried deleting the map folder using Windows Explorer (after uninstalling the map), but it made no difference.

A couple of times after trying  toreinstall I've got an error message from TT Home stating that the there's an incompatibility issue between Home and the application on the XL, but thisd oesn't happen after every attempt to reinstall.

Message 3 of 36 (5,701 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

Okay. Try to reinstall the application by first making a manual backup: http://www.tomtom.com/13354. Then, remove all files from the root of your TomTom (only files, not the folders). Next, connect to TT HOME again and let it update your TT until no updates are offered anymore.

Message 4 of 36 (5,699 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
TheApiarist

I'll give this a try tomorrow (don't have time tonight, 5.30am start in the morning).  I'll let you know how I get on.  Thanks for the help, BTW.

Message 5 of 36 (5,697 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
TheApiarist

OK, have done this and now all seems to work fine with the latest version of the application.  Thanks very much for the assistance.

I'm still running an early version of the map because my broadband is currently working at sub-modem speeds and didn't want to have to wait for the predicted 22 hours for the download!  Whan it's back to normal I'll update the map.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 36 (5,670 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
IanMcKillop

I seem to have the same problem with my TT  XL live.I have a start up screen then it tries to reboot tnen goes back to start up screen.and on and on .

Can you explain to an idiot wat you mean by remove all files from the root of your tomtom 

Message 7 of 36 (5,624 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

First, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. If not sure how, see here:

http://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-how-restore.html

Once you are SURE you've got the backup on the computer, you use Explorer to remove all the loose files in the root of the unit. This means, all the files NOT in a yellow folder when you look at the contents of the unit. Do NOT remove any folders.

Next, connect to Home. Install the application offered. Disconnect PROPERLY from Home using the Device Disconnect icon.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 8 of 36 (5,615 Views)
Please use plain text.
Megalos

[ Edited ]

TheApiarist wrote:

OK, have done this and now all seems to work fine with the latest version of the application.  Thanks very much for the assistance.

I'm still running an early version of the map because my broadband is currently working at sub-modem speeds and didn't want to have to wait for the predicted 22 hours for the download!  Whan it's back to normal I'll update the map.

Thanks again.

You're welcome :-). Thanks for reporting back :smileyhappy:.

Message 9 of 36 (5,527 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
IanMcKillop

Thank you for the advice ,I have managed to get my TT going again by doing a back up restore .I tried several times with the manual back up delete files etc but when I tried to install the latest application it just jammed up.

After doing the restore I was able to update to the new application and all is now working.

Message 10 of 36 (5,461 Views)
Please use plain text.