Novice Explorer
groovey2shoes

Windows unable to format

Had problems with tomtom home recognising device (XXL). Followed instructions on online help which said I needed to reformat the device. It took the best part of a day to format at the end of which it gave an error - windows unable to format. Windows sees the device but when you click on it it says 'Please insert a disk into Removeable Disk (E:smileyhappy:. I am now trying to format it again but it looks like it is going to take as long as last time - progress bar barely moves. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 25 (15,854 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,606
Solutions: 320

Re: Windows unable to format

Hi,

you may try a low level format. As another user on this forum already posted this information I won't explain it here but just provide the link to his post.

Low level format (hyperlink)

Many thanks @Traylaw.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 25 (15,850 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
groovey2shoes

Thanks for your reply. I'm running the low level format just now but it is generating formatting error messages at a rate of one per second. I don't want to interupt it but it's not looking good! Progress is very slow - looks like it will take the best part of a day to complete and somehow I don't think its going to be a favourable outcome judging by all the error messages.

Message 3 of 25 (15,843 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Just let it run until it finishes, then when its is done try to use windows format utility to place the File allocation Table on the memory. Ignore any remarks for the low level format utility about partitioning..... does not apply to the flash memory.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 4 of 25 (15,835 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
groovey2shoes

Completed low level format, ran windows format but after many hours it indicated that windows was not able to complete format. I think it's still under warranty since I bought it last spring but I'm afraid I do not have the receipt - oh dear!

Message 5 of 25 (15,809 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
groovey2shoes

I notice that it's only a year warranty. Are there any last ditch, last throw of the dice solutions to try before I throw it in the bin?

Message 6 of 25 (15,758 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,606
Solutions: 320

Hi,

I fear there's no other solution. If even the low level format doesn't help it really sounds like memory failure. So the flash memory built into your device is broken and you won't be able to repair it. I fear you'll have to purchase a new device.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 7 of 25 (15,751 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

If you deside to purchase a similar unit don't throw out the broke one..... the screen is still good and can be used as a spare...

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 8 of 25 (15,749 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

groovey2shoes wrote:

I notice that it's only a year warranty. Are there any last ditch, last throw of the dice solutions to try before I throw it in the bin?

Did you ever try the Clear Flash tool on the device? If not, dl it here: http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6211/kw/clear%20flash/sno/1

and run it 3 times.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 9 of 25 (15,744 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
FastFood

I have had the same problem with one of the six xxl's I purchased. It only started after I updated it and it started to give HOME I/O errors. I went to the TOMTOM support page and  it said to format the devise memory after backing it up. Formatting went good, at lease I thought. Now my GPS will not connect to HOME or even my OS. Windows won't let me format it again because sector secuity that protects the devise or like you said memory is trashed. Sure it looks like the flash memory is fried, only after support told me to format it. Can't blame you for telling people to buy a new one, but the next six I buy for my company are not going to be tomtom. I feel tomtom support is the one that cause this problem, since the GPS was working before the formatting.

Message 10 of 25 (15,012 Views)
Please use plain text.