Neophyte Traveler
saxon

Will Not Stick

Hi

My Tom, Tom will stick to the windscreen for maybe for 200 yards or maybe 50 miles. But at some point it will fall off.

I took it back and they gave me a replacement suction cup, at this time I purchased a disc to stick on the dashboard. I tried the new suction cup on both but the same thing happened the Tom Tom at some point ended up on the floor of the car, not very good when driving down a motorway. Does anybody have a suggestion?   

Apart from this problem I must admit the Tom Tom is a serious piece of kit, should have bought one years ago.

Cheers

Saxon

Message 1 of 9 (6,027 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: Will Not Stick

Make sure:

1. Both the suction cup and the windscreen are clean

2. When you turn the dial on the unti , apply pressure to the front AND ensure you've turned the dial to the lock position (a hard to read symbol should be on the side of the mounting plate.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 9 (6,021 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
miami1312

I have the same problem with this POS. The locking device loosen up and then the unit falls. I had to shove a cut tie wrap under the locking wheel to keep it from vibrating loose. My old garmin device stuck much better... Tom Tom needs to change design and then take car of all the customer with this problem.

Message 3 of 9 (6,006 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
saxon

Tried all that buddy, same thing happens, not good at all when the TomTom is under your feet going down a motorway.

Cheers

Saxon

Message 4 of 9 (6,002 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

The "easy port" mount that came with the gps is not the best in the world. There are plenty of after market mounts that are much better. You should stop using the one you have. Falling off and ending up under your feet is not good but a cracking the screen is much worse. Cracked screens are not covered under warranty after 30 days. While TomTom will replace the mount with a new one ( of the same type ), you will better off with an aftermarket model.

TomTom does make a nice low profile dash mount using velcro ( this is not the plastic disk that came with your unit )and you can place the gps much closer to you for easier viewing. The velcro comes off easily without marking the dash.

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/accessories/mounts-holders-docks/adhesive-dashboard-mount-kit/

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 5 of 9 (5,998 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
saxon

Thanks for the comments. Maybe I did not make it clear in my first post. When the suction cup is fixed to the windscreen or to the disc on the dashboard, it is fixed solid, the problem is after a period of time which could be a few hundred yards or many miles the suction cup comes off resulting in the device ending up on the floor usually under my feet (not good) I have cleaned the windscreen before attaching the cup and also cleaned the surface of the disc I bought, but unfortunately I still have the issue.  

I would like to know why the SUCTION CUP after time looses its suction and a remedy to cure the problem. As I also mentioned the suction cup I am using is a replacement.

Cheers

Saxon

Message 6 of 9 (5,969 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
spider362

The suction cups on the TomTom mount have always been a weak point and the only cure I'm aware of is to buy an aftermarket mount.

One of the best is made by ARKON and is the model TTEP115 TomTom EasyPort Windshield / Dash Mount.

Here is an Amazon link to it if it's any help: http://www.amazon.com/ARKON-TTEP115-TomTom-EasyPort-Windshield/dp/B001H4B0AC%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIA...

Or, you may be able to find something similar where you live.

-------------------------------------------
Device: XXL540TM
Device App Version: 9.430.890926
Map Version: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P v885.4097
TomTom Home version: 2.8.3.2499
Message 7 of 9 (5,960 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
omtom

Re: Will Not Stick.. Fixed this one. Trim the suction cup to fit properly

I have the flower style windshield suction mount for an XL that would only stay on the glass for about 10-20 minutes.  This style mount uses a rigid flower petal on top of the flexible suction cup.  The flexible suction cup has a small rim on the top that was contacting the flower petal part and prevented compression of the cup on the glass.  I trimmed the top rim with scissors so now the cup doesn't contact the petals when pressed to the windshield and it hasn't fallen off after 4 days.  I'd guess the cup material had some shrinkage as the material cured.  If you look closely your mount  might have the same condition.

Message 8 of 9 (5,543 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
omtom

Re: Will Not Stick.. Fixed this one. Trim the suction cup to fit properly

Message 9 of 9 (5,513 Views)
Please use plain text.