Apprentice Explorer
jlossint
Accepted Solution

Where is the SD memory card located?

Gentlemen,

I own a TomTom XL and now the unit or the program reports that it can not update the unit since it is out of memory, or at least almost out of memory. The suggestion is that I shall change to a 2Gb SD card. Fine, but where is the needed card slot anywhere, can´t find it. My unit does not have any visual slots and the users guide does not say anything either.

Best regards,

Peter

Message 1 of 21 (10,831 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Volts

Re: Where is the SD memory card located?

A TomTom what XL

If there is a SD card slot your find a blank plastic card thing under the tomtom

Message 2 of 21 (10,824 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
jlossint

My serial number starts with RB so it is supposed to be an XL 30, sorry for any inconveniance. No, there is no slot any where.

Message 3 of 21 (10,820 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Volts

Its a strange one The user guide i downloaded for your device does mention a SD card but doesnt offer a diagram to show you where.

is your device in this list http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/kw/SD%20CARD

Message 4 of 21 (10,802 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,348
Solutions: 545

My old XL never had an SD slot.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 5 of 21 (10,798 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
jlossint

My device is in the list, as XL 30. The table says 1Gb/2Gb and also that the device does not have a memory slot. So how do I change memory size. Or am I cursed to use maps in smaller segments, zones. Which is the solution I have presently. This means that going on a grand tour with my car from Sweden to Italy requires me to change maps before entering Italy since the northern zone only covers Sweden, Germany and Austria.

Message 6 of 21 (10,798 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

You can't replace the internal memory. You will need to use the map zones and take a laptop with you :smileysad: Prepare both zones at home, make a manual backup of each, and then you just need to remove and move the maps you need.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 7 of 21 (10,792 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
jlossint

As this thread went on I got a feeling that your solution will be the out come of this. Not to satisfying actually but the XL 30 is possibly not designed for use over whole continents, more a one country/state solution and a fairly good one as such.

Best regards and thank you all,

Peter

Message 8 of 21 (10,779 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Beazer

I have one of these XL 30's and just purchased the newest US/Canada maps.  Now I am stuck as the file doesn't fit, I have no card slot to provide space and the maps appear to have no zone options. 

Looks like I need to ask for a refund.  I have contacted support to see if there's some option I missed.  Perhaps they have a link to download US/Canada zones that I can't find.

This is very sad.  I never would have made the purchase if I knew there was no work around.

Message 9 of 21 (10,023 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

It supposed to offer you the zone options. When you try to download it, it should tell you that it won't fit, and a few steps later it would give the zone option.

Message 10 of 21 (10,009 Views)
Please use plain text.