Neophyte Traveler
NeverLost

Unpaved road option?

Recently, my TomTom took me on a great adventure through more than 10 miles of unpaved roads near Mendocino, California.  I have the option set to "Ask" for unpaved roads.  It did not ask, just took me and my rental car through 10 miles of mud, potholes and  wilderness.  My wife was sure we weren't going to make it out alive.  The only other cars we saw were from locals shooting assorted firearms at targets, wildlife and perhaps each other.  Does the unpaved option work, ever?

Message 1 of 5 (380 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: Unpaved road option?

Sounds a little like the movie" Deliverance"

Or maybe the gps was out looking for a smoke.

We have roads like that in east Tennessee, and you would prefer never to travel on them.

Yes it does, My guess is that the road is not mark as unpaved.

Do you have the name and location for the road?

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 2 of 5 (376 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
NeverLost

Part of it, at the start and end is named "Little Lake Road".   In the middle it mysteriously changes names to "Thompson Gulch Trail".  Or at least that's the best I can recreate it. 

Message 3 of 5 (371 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Yep, should have been marked as unpaved. These are old logging / fire access roads. Looks like the Little River Road at one time was continous from end to end, however still unpaved in the middle section. Probably due to a wash out or something, part of this section was closed or abandoned and someone took a bulldozer and connected the road to Thompson Gulch Trail. I reported this to TeleAtlas to mark this a unpaved. 

Next time you decide to go off into the woods for a senic drive do what I do. Drive a Jeep with a winch, two spare tires, tool box, extra water, gas can, and a firearm.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 4 of 5 (351 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
NeverLost

Trailblazer,

If I went offroad with the Jeep and all those extras, there'd be no story to tell.  I'd just be like the locals using the beautiful state forest land as their own private firing range and off road vehicle park.   Of course, the folks I saw by the side of the road are considerably more polite than the ones who are using the Mendo woods for cannabis production.

Message 5 of 5 (348 Views)
Please use plain text.