Neophyte Explorer
TG626
Accepted Solution

Touch Screen Alignment/Calibration

My Story

During a map update several months ago my computer froze and corrupted the data on my tom tom.  I followed advice on the internet and managed to wipe the internal memory of the device, and then re-update it using Tom Tom Home.  All seemed well.

There was still a problem however.  Now the touch screen buttons are miss aligned.  Touch a button, and the device thinks you touched one next to it. 

The problem "scaled" across the screen, better in the middle, worse at the edges. 

After some net searching I found out that a text file, with the right name, and in the root directory of the device would change the calibration of the screen.  I created and saved just such a file, using x,y coordinates that the poster had used, and then manually tweaked it until it was close to being right.

My Question

What I want to know is this.  Is there a tool to properly create this touchscreen calibration file?  Certainly, you can't be doing the "guess and save" at the factory.  It seems ridiculous to send this unit in just for this little issue - the unit is usable, but it's a bit annoying.

Message 1 of 116 (73,660 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Re: Touch Screen Alignment/Calibration

[ Edited ]

No not really, the problem is a hardawire problem with the digitizer (touch sensor) on the display.  Calibrating can help get you going but its just a band aid for the problem. Replacement of the screen is the only true fix.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 2 of 116 (73,654 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
TG626

And what exactly is the nature of this malfunction?  Feel free to get as technical as you like, I'm an electronics Tech and Engineer - albeit not of touch screen devices.

Of course it does beg two questions, one of which is unanswerable - #1 Why did the occur at the EXACT same time that I wiped all the data from the device.  & #2 Why does the software look for this file if any loss of co-ordination between the touch sensor and the display means that the screen needs to be replaced?  (which btw seems to be an all too common refrain)

Message 3 of 116 (73,643 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
TG626

I'll add that I was using the post v8.051 directions and found that:

• MaxX MinX = Left/Right
  • MaxY MinY = Up/Down

I had no trouble with the Y axis so I didn't fool with it.

MaxX affects the LEFT edge of the screen

• Increase MaxX - touch point moves to the RIGHT of where you touched
  • Decrease MaxX - touch point moves to the LEFT of where you touched

MinX affects the RIGHT edge of the screen

• Increase MinX - touch point moves to the RIGHT of where you touched
  • Decrease MinX - touch point moves to the LEFT of where you touched

These numbers seem to affect the effective TOUCH resolution of the physical screen.  Increased numbers result in "cramming more rows and columns" into the physical space of the screen.

Message 4 of 116 (73,639 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
beachkat

[ Edited ]

If the screen is unresponsive or you touch one icon and it lights up another one.

Before you all go fiddling with complicated calibration settings, try this simple solution with an old toothbrush:

Use a card or fingernail to slightly lift the screen bezel around the touch screen, only needs to be just enough to get a few toothbrush bristles under it.

Work the brush bristles gradually right around the screen and note what drops out on a clean sheet of paper. A few grains of sand / grit is enough to screw up your screen sensitivity.

Better yet, blast air under the bezel as you lift it. Use a can of air (as used for cleaning photographic lenses) with a fine nozzle attached. Now gasp in awe as your touch screen works properly again.

you may kiss my hand if this works out for you :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 116 (73,540 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
russblade

epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 116 (73,414 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
PeterL

Please help my touchscreen is not working

when I power up my TomTom One IQ Routes

to unit starts up and stops at the blue screen -drive responsibly.....

with the continue button and the welcome to TmTom ONE IQ Router Edition! logo on top right corner

no response to the touchscreen anywere

after about 30 seconds the unit restarts and cycles through the same screens again

please help how to reset, reboot or reinstall everything new

Message 7 of 116 (73,265 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

First create a backup of your gps with windows explorer using the procedures in this link.This is important in protecting your map data which if you lose you may have to purchase a new map.

http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.h...

To reset you gps hold the power button down for about 20 sec until you hear a drum beat then release the button.

To get the gps talking to your computer when you don't get the "connect to computer?" screen just plug the gps into the computer and reset the gps. It will connect to your computer when it resets.

To reinstall the application software use the procedure in this link.

http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.h...

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 8 of 116 (73,254 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
toby897

Hi,

this is a link to a document which shows how to calibrate the tomtom screen for a certain model.

English:
http://www.martin-kolinsky.com/freeinstructionsfordownload/TomTom%20GPS-Touch%20screen%20calibration...

German:
http://www.martin-kolinsky.com/freeinstructionsfordownload/TomTom%20GPS-Touch%20screen%20Kalibrierun...

regards

hall

Message 9 of 116 (73,203 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
hama4262

This worked great!!!!!!  After going through a bunch of junk with the tech support weinie he tells me to take it to Best Buy for them to fix....

Message 10 of 116 (71,351 Views)
Please use plain text.