Master Explorer
jccgold
Accepted Solution

Tomtom XL v2 how to acess diagnostic screen to recalibrate my touchscreen keys?

Im getting wrong letters in my tomtom xl. When i touch A it gives me a B, when i touch B it gives me a C and so on.

I read i can re-calibrate my Tomtom but i need to acess the diagnostic screen. To that i read i must take of the SD card just my gps doesnt have a sD card, it has 1GB internal memory. How do i acess it, and how do i input new coordenates to recalibrate the GPS?

Message 1 of 96 (17,830 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Re: Tomtom XL v2 how to acess diagnostic screen to recalibrate my touchscreen keys?

Try resetting to factory or default settings. That will decustomize it but should correct your problem. Have you tried resetting  the unit by turning it on by holding the on button for 15 seconds till the double drum sound? You could also check the manual that is on TomTomHome to see if you can change it some other way. 

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 2 of 96 (17,808 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
jccgold

Re: Tomtom XL v2 how to acess diagnostic screen to recalibrate my touchscreen keys?

1hour after making this topic i figured out the solution. No the resets didnt work it even got worse.

I read in the web to make a file named calib.txt in the main root, and then inserting some coordenates. My problem was i couldnt even get my tomtom coordenates. But then i read for software versions below or including 8.051. coordenates for that file were 88 916 108 865 and for versions after 8.051 coordenates were 916 88 865 108

It worked.

What i cant figure is why in other GPS brands configuring the touchpad is way more simple then with tomtom.

Message 3 of 96 (17,776 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Re: Tomtom XL v2 how to access diagnostic screen to recalibrate my touchscreen keys?

That is interesting; how old is your TomTom? I will have to investigate mine to see if it has similar settings. Kudos to you, sounds like a very sophisticated fix!

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 4 of 96 (17,764 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
imsieg

Re: Tomtom XL v2 how to access diagnostic screen to recalibrate my touchscreen keys?

This sound perhaps it's like the problem I have, Before this I has a 335XL for a short time. So I know how the touchpad should respond. My new 340XL touchpad responds like yours assuming yours is not *only* responding incorrectly with the alphabet.

When I click, "Done" for example it doesn't turn blue or take.  I have to tap it 4 ort 5 times. Also when I click "Done" it thinks I'm clicking on the option just above it, and thus changes a setting instead. When I click on any area of the screen a sightly different area responds. 

Is this the same problem? 

Message 5 of 96 (17,593 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
imsieg

The reason I ask is because if it is the same problem I do not understand the suggested fix. Can someone spell it out for me in more detail or written as to a newbie that doesn't write computer code? :-) 

Thanks!

Message 6 of 96 (17,593 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
jccgold

[ Edited ]

1a- If you are able to do it, power on your Tomtom then go see the details of your Tomtom to see if your Tomtom software version is lower then v8.051 of higher.

1b- If this isnt possible and you dont know what version of software you have, below  v8.051 should be before 2009, higher of  v8.051 should be after 2009.  

2- After knowing that plug in your GPS Tomtom to your computer with the data cable.
3- Then You can enter in your Tomtom as if it is a hard drive. Do it and you will see the folders and files in your Tomtom.
4a- If your Tomtom GPS version is lower then v8.051, then in the main root add a file called "calib.txt" with coordenates 88 916 108 865 (MinX MaxX MinY MaxY). Save it, unplug your tomtom, power off, and power on it. Should be fixed. 

If isnt corrected you can calibrate it manualy. For example if when you touch your keypad a letter in the left of the keypad and it assumes youre touching more to your right X axis (MinX) then you have to calibrate the X axis to your left. Lower the "88" coordenate to 60 or any other number. Repeat the process until its calibrated. 

If pressed a letter in the right and its off too, youll have to calibrate the MaxX coordenate so in this example the 916. Same process.

If its not axis X (horizontal) with descalibration but axis Y (vertical) is same process  but in this example youll have to change the coordenates 108 865  (MinY MaxY)

4b- If your version is higher then  v8.051 then its same process but, file wont be called calib.txt but cal.txt.

Coordenates will be (MaxX MinX MaxY MinY) try 916 88 865 108. If theyre off, to calibrate do as described in 4a same process.

I have Tomtom XL v2 of 2008, i had to manualy try coordenates with the process i described, i end up with 888 68 108 865

Message 7 of 96 (17,585 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
imsieg

Jccgold, thank you so much for your detailed instructions. I must say that I'm learning a lot about many things. Not sure if this is good or bad as I really just want my GPS to be "plug and play". Ah, well. If this is the last thing I have to do in order to make my TomTom work properly I'll be very happy. 

Again, many thanks. I'll let you know if I was able to make it work for me. 

Message 8 of 96 (17,547 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
imsieg

It worked! My GPS had a problem with vertical coordinates and my software version is 9. "something". So I used (MaxX MinX MaxY MinY) 916 88 865 108 as you suggested. Since I have a Mac I had to find out how to save as a .txt file since files are normally saved as .rtf. But once I could save as .txt it was easy, as I did not have to do it manually like you did. I'm kind of surprised it worked because I have never tried to change or add a file in the root of a "hard-drive". Thanks so much. It's a lot less frustrating to only tap once, and also not have the option directly above where I tapped change another option too!
Message 9 of 96 (17,494 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
jd69lowe

almost the same problem...cannot get my tom tom to acknowledge done, cancel, back  no matter how many times i touch it.

the letter above those buttons come on.

Message 10 of 96 (16,552 Views)
Please use plain text.