Novice Explorer
gomez

Tomtom XL GPS cannot take GPS coordinates???????????

I lost my Garmin GPS while on the road and thought I'd give a tomtom a try. However when I try to input GPS coordinates I can't find a way to do it. What use is a GPS that won't take GPS coordinates?  What use is a GPS Device if you can't put coordinates in? I would never have bought this if I had known. If this is the way it is I really reccomend a Garmin.G

Message 1 of 35 (13,567 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Re: Tomtom XL GPS cannot take GPS coordinates???????????

Check for your model here. Some models do not support using coordinates.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9755/kw/using%20coordinates

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 2 of 35 (13,551 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
StephenGPS

I also cannot find the option on my TomTom XL?!?!?!?! What on earth were these people thinking supplying a GPS device that does not take GPS co-ordinates?!?!?! I bought mine months ago and needed to use the co-ords recently, so there is no chance of swopping it out. I will never buy a TomTom again if this is the case, surely GPS co-ords are a basic feature?!?!?! Kind of like supplying cars without wheels....

Message 3 of 35 (13,440 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
gomez

I understand your pain. I will not buy another tom tom product either. If you can't put GPS coordinates in a a GPS unit, then what use is it?  I reccomend Garmin.  I just hope this Tom Tom is lost, stolen or just broken by me so I can get somethingt that works. Good luck

Message 4 of 35 (13,430 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

Not all models are the same, by my XL model absolutely CAN accept GPS coordinates. It takes five seconds from start to finish (if you're slow).

When in driving view (with the map displayed for driving):

- Tap on map to get to Main Menu.

- Tap "Navigate to ..." icon.

- Find icon marked "Latitude Longitude" (it may be on the second screen, depending on model).

- Tap that, and enter coordinates. You're done.

Since I have two different models of the XL 340 (one LIVE and one TM), it's safe to assume that this model has the feature. If you have an XL or XXL model that does not seem to support the feature, please list it here (without ranting if possible, it gets tedious after a while) so that those that want that feature will know to avoid that model.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 5 of 35 (13,422 Views)
Please use plain text.
NC
Kudos: 184
Solutions: 71

[ Edited ]

Anyone who does like his/her TomTom device(s), please feel free to ship it (them) to me.  I will take the pain for you FREE OF CHARGE.

I am a TomTom user just like you.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution on the most helpful reply
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos button

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.

An independent community for Traditional Chinese users
正體中文討論站: TomTomUsers.com

Message 6 of 35 (13,420 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
aggie84

I have an XL350 TM and it does not accept lat / long input.  I love the traffic info and TTS but would have bought something else if I'd have known that I could not put coordinates into my device.  The best I can do is to hook it up to my computer, download the route from an online map service and then select the finish point and save it as one of my Favorites.  Yes, it is as complicated as it sounds.

Message 7 of 35 (13,273 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
gomez

Yes I know it sucks. You would think TomTom would at least say on the box some **bleep** like "You don't need GPS coordinates for it to work,  in fact they won't work!!! " At least you would get some warning instead of making you feel like an idiot for buying it. TomTom is for suckers.

Message 8 of 35 (13,268 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
gomez

That is absolutely useless, much like a Tomtom GPS.

Message 9 of 35 (13,267 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Chevy_Girl88

is there any can of program u can buy and upload to my tomtom to be able to type in gps coordinates?

Message 10 of 35 (12,299 Views)
Please use plain text.