Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: TomTom XXL with Lifetime maps activated

There it is in theory. In practice, doesn't work very well for many users in North America.

Call CS at 866-486-6866 and let them activate from their end.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 11 of 31 (1,618 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
slinkerd

I received my TomTom XXL 550M for Christas last year.  I did activate the Livetime Maps using the provided code.  However, after a recent computer failure, i'm having to reinstall all software including TomTom Home.  QUESTION:  Does my activation carry over to this reinstall or do I have to resubmit the code again?  I'm not sure.  I'm seeing in the update list my "one time" update which i would have done some time ago before the failure.  However,  I'm not as certain about the lifetime maps update.   Can someone shed some light on this?

Message 12 of 31 (1,579 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

If you log in with the same email address/password used when you registered the lifetime maps, the server should match the serial number of your device with the activation code provided.

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 13 of 31 (1,577 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
AmesDP

[ Edited ]

I had a lot of trouble activating and updating my new XL 540TM yesterday, and now I'm not sure if the Lifetime Maps activation worked correctly or not since there's apparently no way to verify it until the next map update comes out. Any suggestions (other than call the TomTom support number and ask them)?

What happened with mine was this:

- I plugged the new TomTom into my computer. Nothing launched, because like all sensible people I have Autorun disabled for security, but the GPS appeared as a removeable drive.

- The first thing I did was back up the entire memory contents by copying from the GPS to a backup drive.

- Then I launched the TomTom Home program from the removeable drive just like autorun would have launched it.

- TomTom Home installed, then asked to update itself to a newer version. I let it do that.

- I then created a new TomTom account (successful on the 2nd try after "No response from TomTom servers" on the first try). There were several unexplained error message popups from TomTom Home along the way that I clicked the button to report to TomTom. But the program seemed to be installed and working.

- Then, keeping in mind the directions I've seen to NOT update the map on the device until it's backed up through the Home program and has a few voices deleted to make more room in the memory, I checked the Manage function in the Home pgram to see what voices I could delete from the device.

- At this point TomTom Home told me there was no content on my GPS. Indeed when I checked the removeable drive, it showed completely empty. WTF!! I did nothing to the device!! I have no idea what TomTom Home did here, but the product testers should be shot!

- Nothing was in progress, so I tried disconnecting the device and doing a full 15-second-hold reset. It came up with a rolling LCD screen that I couldn't read. The removeable drive showed up when connected to USB, but still no content.

- Ok... got to move on... I let Home download all available updates and update the attached device, making sure that I only checked two voices to load.

- After a l..o..n..g update, content reappeared and it was functional again, albeit with some of the original folders missing compared to my backup.

- I next tried entering my activation code for Lifetime Maps from the printed card in the box. That produced an error message that my activation code is valid, but doesn't apply to this device, do an update. The Update function said "no updates available". Now we seem to be stuck.

- I found the 30-day map guaranteed update link buried on one of the Home menus and tried that. That succesfully downloaded an updated map to Home and then to my device (another long update). But still the same error message with my Activation.

- I went back to my own original backup, and copied back everything that might be missing from the updated device (not overwriting anything new). I also renamed the removeable drive back to TomTom because the update had changed the name to INTERNAL. Then I disconnected and reconnected again. This time Home prompted me immediately to enter my Activation code, which it had not done before. I did, and it appeared to be accepted. However there's no new indication that the attached device or my account is activated for Lifetime Maps.

- I checked Updates again, and it offered to download a new map update (the one I already updated to). If I say Continue, it then says there are no updates, presumably because my map is already up to date.

- I tried the Enter Activation Code function again, and it told me that my code is already used.

So I'm guessing that my unit is fully functional again, no thanks to TomTom Home, that the maps are currently up to date, and that it may or may not be activated for Lifetime Maps. The unit type on my account page is identified as just XL-S, although Support knows that my serial number is an XL 540TM.

Overall this is probably the worst out-of-the-box activation experience I've had with any device ever, so I'm not feeling very positive about TomTom so far. But my opinion will probably recover a little if it has been activated correctly with LifeTIme Maps and there are no further serious problems. Here's hoping!

Update: I couldn't find any way to check the LifeTime Maps status, so I contacted TomTom support by email. They confirmed within 24 hours that LifeTime Maps is activated on my account. The problem I had activating initially remains unexplained.

I also checked in more detail on the files and folders that went missing from the original backed-up contents, and it looks like the update process removes some unimportant stuff deliberately to save space. The problem I had initially with TomTom Home erasing the contents and leaving the unit non-functional remains unexplained, but it seems to have recovered fully after completing the update process.

I think a lot of this is down to two problems:

- The TomTom Home program obscures what it's doing behind an overly-simplified interface, and provides very poor progress information and error messages.

- The USB 1.1 interface on the XL 340 is extremely slow, making every operation take a really long time - an unfortunate combination with a program that shows poor progress information.

Message 14 of 31 (1,553 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
mat1618

Thanks. I had to waste a lot of time and frustration trying to download my free maps and found it very confusing at best untill I used your info.

Message 15 of 31 (1,341 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
PhilTheVoid

What drives me nuts, is that I'm still not confident that my lifetime subscription is associated with my device.

When I use TomTom Home and from the menu bar I choose "Tools" and then I select "Use Latest Map Guarentee", I get a screen that says my 90 day period has expired.  

So, while they have told me that I have the latest map, anytime I drive somewhere and I come upon an incorrect road layout, I can only feel that the tech support person was incorrect.

map.png

Message 16 of 31 (1,318 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
roadrunner4spd

mine won't load maps put if the box, lifetime maps code states it is not compatable with the device it came with. i am restoring power from huricane sandy and don't have time for this joke 550 xxl. Returning asap.
Message 17 of 31 (1,267 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Call CS at 1-866-486-6866 and they can activate lifetime maps at their end.

Message 18 of 31 (1,266 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
roadrunner4spd

dhn,

I appreciate your reply with a phone number to call, and help as a forum moderator.   I received this unit last night after a 14 hour shift of storm restoration in New Jersey due to Hurricane Sandy.  I do not have the time to call up the number to deal with a GPS that shipped defective, one may argue by design.   In the mean time I am back to using my old non Tom Tom GPS and my rooted android phone for gps location in the field.

My other issue is I normally work reliability (of my system in the field), and with a major error that I paid extra for like this Mapping error, I can not have faith with this Tom Tom 550 XXL TM.  I mainly wanted to post on here hoping that Tom Tom, the company itself, realizes people are returning this product without use since it is unusable out of the box.  This mistake is unacceptable, and I will definitely be passing on my experience to others.

Again Thank you dhn, I see you are a moderator and helping people out on these forums.  However, I am still returning this product as I do find it unacceptable I have to call up a number to activate lifetime maps, which the software states that it is not compatible with my device.  Besides I already brought my old Garmin to work this morning, because it just works.  So, I don’t have the Tom Tom with me, and by the time I get off work at about 9PM tonight, I will not be able to call.   The 48 Hour Return period is a far better option than having to call up customer support for a band new product that is unable to be used out of the Box.  So much for Tom Tom making a quality product that can be used.

Message 19 of 31 (1,266 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

I'm not a moderator here but at another forum. Be that as it may, I understand your position and the stress, etc. you have gone through because of Sandy. I hope things work out ok for you .............

Message 20 of 31 (1,262 Views)
Please use plain text.