Master Traveler
AilaReza

TomTom XXL No SD Slot?

I have noticed that with all the updates and whatnot that my TomTom XXL is coming very close to running out of room. I have checked my TomTom and cannot seem to find a slot for an SD card. Do you mean to tell me that the XXL's do not have SD memory card slots?

Message 1 of 8 (1,997 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

Re: TomTom XXL No SD Slot?

No, not in the U.S. anyway. You shouldn't need it, however. Use TomTom Home to manage what is on the device, and what is backed up on your computer. You can start by removing all foreign voices, for example, especially the "computer" voices you don't use, since those take up the most space. I've yet to experience any issues with space.

Make sure you have a complete backup of the whole device somewhere, though. You'll be glad you did if anything ever went wrong.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 2 of 8 (1,993 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
AilaReza

I only have one voice and it's a computer voice. Didn't really see the need to keep the others.

Hopefully it should hold up with all the Map Share updates and whatnot. I have the 540T with Lifetime Maps. I just don't want to run out of space!

Message 3 of 8 (1,991 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Sheiweesh

Just wondering now a few years later if you still have that XXL and how are you doing on space. I'm furious that I cannot update my map anymore. I only have 1 map, 1 voice, and the app, and I can no longer update the map because the XXL is practically out of space.

Message 4 of 8 (167 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

Hello Sheiweesh, and welcome to TomTom discussions!

The XL and XXL are legacy models now. They are from the NAV2 generation. The newer NAV3 have been replaced with the newest NAV4 models earlier this year (in North America).

Although the XL and XXL did not have SD card slots in North America (only the premium GO models did), you should not have issues updating. Use TomTom Home to update, and it should work just fine, but remember:

1. Always backup before updating! You should be offered the option to back up automatically if Home is up to date. It's also prudent to keep a full "manual" backup somewhere just in case of an unexpected backup failure. This would mean copying all files (including all hidden files) from the XL/XXL to a safe place somewhere on your computer, or on an external hard drive.
  2. Always remove your XL/XXL from your computer by clicking on the "eject" icon in TomTom Home. Do this BEFORE disconnecting the USB cord.

Otherwise, TomTom use compression to ensure that newer maps still fit on older devices with more limited memory. If it becomes necessary, they also use "zoning". For example, instead of storing all of North America on the device all the time, a user can choose to use only the U.S.A zone, and store the Canada and Mexico zones in TomTom Home until needed.

If you are still unable to update, then some troubleshooting will be required, but even without an SD slot, you should be able to update.

Fortunately, however, all of the NAV4 (current) range come with much more memory than before, lifetime map updates included, and an SD card slot.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 5 of 8 (161 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Sheiweesh

Thank you for your response. I do not get the Continue option to choose a Zone. I've been having some issues with TomTom not allowing the updated map to be installed because it is larger than the space I have. I always do a backup and even restored yesterday. The current status is that I have map 860.3121 of the US, Canada and Mexico, which is a lot older than the newest one out and a lot older than the one I had just a couple of days ago prior to the newest release 940. I always use TomTom Home to update and now it is not showing me that there is a new map to update even though the new release is much newer than mine. I did have to manually remove the map files to a folder on my desktop to allow TT to install a map so my XXL can be operational, it's just not seeing that there is a newer map out there to install anymore. This has to be simpler than it is.

Message 6 of 8 (146 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Call CS:

USUnited States

866 486 6866

Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. EDT
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EDT

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 7 of 8 (141 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Sheiweesh

I think this helped. Thank you. I called and the lady on the phone was very pleasant and very helpful. She had me format my device after some troubleshooting. We re-installed the application. Had to do a reset after that. Then reinstalled an updated application. And now it is installing the latest map, WOOOHOOOO. Thanks again for your help.
Message 8 of 8 (136 Views)
Please use plain text.