New Traveler
Norm202

To charge or not to charge (battery)

I use my GPS only on occasion. Is it better to leave on charge through my computer (which is on almost all day) all  the time or disconnect it after a full charge?

Message 1 of 14 (16,244 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,598
Solutions: 320

Re: To charge or not to charge (battery)

Hi there,

Therefore you'll have to know something about batteries and charging functionalities:

• Every battery discharges if it is left in a device as the electrical circuit is closed even if the device is turned off.
  • Most chargers stop charging after the battery is fully charged. The charger restarts the process of charging if the battery looses part of its charge again. Some chargers start even if the battery is charged to 99%, others have a functionality to only start charging if the charge hold in the battery sinks below a preset percentage (i.e. 95% or 90%). This is done to reduce the number of charging processes as each battery only has a certain number of processes until it dies. Most batteries today allow at least 1000 charging processes the better ones even up to 2000-3000 processes. If charging your device via USB it will stop charging if the battery is fully charged. But I do not know at which percentage of a completely charged battery it restarts charging.

I always charge my device before starting on a trip via my computer. If it is a longer trip I always connect my device to my car charger before turning it on.

If I don't plan a trip I disconnect the device from my computer and connect it usually once a week to receive map share updates as well as the new GPSfix file. At those times I leave the device connected to my computer for about 2 hours to get it recharged.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 14 (16,243 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

I agree. The worst is to leave it discharged for any length of time.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 3 of 14 (16,229 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
PRipley

Re: To charge or not to charge (battery) and how to tell if it is fully charged

to charge (battery) on my computer and how to tell if it is fully charged and how long does the charge last

Message 4 of 14 (16,058 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,598
Solutions: 320

Hi,

if you're charging your device via your computer's USB port it'll take up to 4 hours to charge completely depending on the remaining charge before connecting the device to your computer and whether you leave the device turned off or turn it on.

I found no specific option so far to see how much charge is left in detail. I just connect the device once a week for about 4 hours and use the car charger every time I use the device as well.

As the device's use Li-ion batteries there's no memory effect to fear. Only completely discharging the battery will damage it.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 5 of 14 (16,053 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

PRipley, if your device is disconnected from a power source you can see your battery status by taping the lower right window and you will see a battery partially filled with color. Green for a safe charge, orange if it is getting close to half charged. Most units will operate about 2 hrs on the battery only. Apparently some units do not complete shut down when you turn them off, and will slowly drain the battery when not in use. Like Lars, I usually use mine plugged into the car when driving; otherwise plug it in for updates. Never a problem.

Message 6 of 14 (16,039 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
caroline19

Re: battery

Can some one help me?

when i charge my Tom Tom when off there is not battery come up so how do you know if it has charged?

Or does it have to be on and then when do you know its fulluy charged?

My old GPS used to show hte battery and give a full green battery when done

Message 7 of 14 (15,029 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Re: battery

It is better (quicker) to charge with it turned off. When you turn it on and disconnected from charger, touch the lower right corner and you will see your battery status.

Message 8 of 14 (14,922 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
mjones

Why isn't my Tomtom re-charging ? Just purchased less than one week ago and have tried charging it on my computer for several hours. Doesn't seem like it wants to charge..any suggestions?

Message 9 of 14 (13,871 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

How do you know it is not charging? Does it not start up? Will it charge in your car? You should keep it plugged in to your car while driving at all times. If you have IQ Routes, that will not work unless plugged in.

When plugged in to your computer, is the green light on the bottom of your TT lit? If not, you are not getting power. If you are getting power, the charge goes quicker if the TT is turned off.

Message 10 of 14 (13,862 Views)
Please use plain text.