Neophyte Explorer
Diesel78

Re: TOMTOM ONE XL will not connect to my PC, however it charges - HELP!

Try totally installing anything program relating to TOMTOM. Restart your computer and install TOMTOM Home 2.8 (For the TOMTOM ONE XL). If you have a different model you may have to install My TOMTOM. When installing ensure you save the program prior to running it. Once installed plug your TOMTOM in the USB either at the rear of your PC or the furthest once to the back of your laptop. Open up the software and then turn your TOMTOM on and hope you get the connect to computer message. If you device still isn't recognised try using a different cable from a digital camera or similar item as this worked for me. I hope this works for you as I know how frustrating it can be. Don't forget to back up your device prior to any updates on your device to prevent any further issues. Good luck!

Message 11 of 28 (6,063 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
kbr61263

it finally recognised it, so restarting computer aftre uninstall and before install was the difference. however, now the software appears tp not work. I have the yellow tomtom go 520 screen on the unit, but nothing on the computre (although I can see it in my computer)

Message 12 of 28 (6,056 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Diesel78

Are you using TOMTOM Home 2.8? If so you need to uninstall it once again and restart your PC. Then go to the Tom Tom website and install My Tom Tom, hopefully this software will be more appropriate for your device. I hope this helps and works for you.

Message 13 of 28 (6,054 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
kbr61263

no, its MY TOMTOM that its downl;oaded

Message 14 of 28 (6,052 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Your model requires tomtom's Home software. You can download it from this site.

http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=16&tab=87

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 15 of 28 (6,041 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
figfam999

I've had problems with both of my TomTom One XL devices.  Im about to give up on TomTom and just buy another brand.  Came accross this Q&A page and I hope someone can help.  All the problems started when I updated my software to the new version.  Tried 3 different computers and several data cables but the problem is the same on both devices.  Computer recognizes the GPS and it will ask to connect to computer but the TomTom software on the computer wont see the device. HELP....

Message 16 of 28 (6,005 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
figfam999

FIXED!!!  That was it....the TomTom XL series I believe are not compatible with the new software.  I downloaded TomTomHome 2 (2.8) and it worked.  Now both devices are working.  Thank you!

Message 17 of 28 (6,004 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
imran

Message 18 of 28 (5,851 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
chevron

Similar problem for me - I attempted to update my standard XL IQ device (which was working perfectly) and now I cannot get it to work for me.

I did'nt realise how complicated the whole issue is.

I also have an XL IQ LIVE which is registered with tomtom and on which I have successfully updated various applications.

My standard XL IQ device has never been registered and I made the mistake of connecting it to my computer, in order to supposedly update it, only for it to be rendered useless. I did try to register it with a different email address and thought I had updated the 'maps' but now I am unable to bring up the start screen. When I press the on/off switch nothing happens, when I hold the switch down after about ten seconds the tomtom logo appears then a picture of the device appears with the moving yellow line at the bottom and then it goes off, if I keep the switch pressed longer the whole screen turns bright light green then goes black and then the full unit specification appears in white lettering including current time and date, this eventually goes off and the logo reappears alternating continually with the screen start-up. At this point the on/off switch has no effect and it is impossible to switch off.

Eventually it turns itself off.

I contacted tomtom help and recieved a response, the directions from which I have followed to no avail !!!!!!!!!

Can anyone suggest anything ( I am ready to bin the damned thing !!)

Thanks.

Message 19 of 28 (5,831 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
murenti

[ Edited ]

I have the same issue, it charges on the computer fine and my computer recognized the Tom Tom but the Tom Tom software refuses to recognise it.

I want something that is easy to use not complicated with help needed everytime I go to connect.

Extremely disappointed!!!

Message 20 of 28 (5,214 Views)
Please use plain text.