Neophyte Explorer
Diesel78
Accepted Solution

TOMTOM ONE XL will not connect to my PC, however it charges - HELP!

Hi there.

I'm struggling for my TOMTOM ONE XL device to be recognised by TOMTOM Home 2.8.

I've previously been able to connect, however I believe this was before the update to 2.8. I've read previous posts and tried allsorts. I've uninstalled TOMTOM HOME then reinstalled, saving first before running, yet this hasn't worked. I've also reset the device using the pin hole underneath.

Any suggestions to resolve the issue please would be greatly appreciated?

Message 1 of 28 (8,585 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: TOMTOM ONE XL will not connect to my PC, however it charges - HELP!

Try connecting to the computer and THEN turning the unit on. also, make sure you're using a usb port on the back, not the front of the computer and are you using the cable that came with the unit?

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 28 (8,584 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Diesel78

As the device was charging I didn't think to change the cable. Unfotunately the orginal became damaged, however I've used another cable and it appears to be working. Feeling silly after all the evenings efforts however thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Message 3 of 28 (8,581 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
PennyKens

I am having the same issue.  I have misplaced my original usb cord so I purchased a replacement one but it is not working.  I hooked it up to the back of the computer.  How do I go about getting a replacement usb cord for TomTom?

Message 4 of 28 (8,566 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
DogPsyche

I've got the same problem but I'm using the original cable and attaching to one of the main USB ports.  Any more ideas?

Message 5 of 28 (8,228 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Diesel78

Try totally uninstalling anything program relating to TOMTOM. Restart your computer and install TOMTOM Home 2.8 (For the TOMTOM ONE XL). If you have a different model you may have to install My TOMTOM. When installing ensure you save the program prior to running it. Once installed plug your TOMTOM in the USB either at the rear of your PC or the furthest once to the back of your laptop. Open up the software and then turn your TOMTOM on and hope you get the connect to computer message. I hope this work s for you as I know how frustrating it can be. Don't forget to back up your device prior to any updates on your device. Good luck! 

Message 6 of 28 (8,222 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Diesel78

Hi
Try using a typical data cable. You usually get one supplied with Camera or other device you would connect to your PC.
Should you need to buy one, try Amazon before you pay full price for a TOM TOM cable. Good luck!
Message 7 of 28 (8,212 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
DogPsyche

Thanks for this.  I'd figured this out and already done it, but I can confirm your advice worked.  Cheers!:smileyhappy:

Message 8 of 28 (8,087 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
mjames

I had the same problem and was quite frustrated.  Then I realized that my connection into theTomTom unit would provide power to the unit but to connect to the computer the connection needed a rather hearty push to get a good enough connection for the unit to talk to the computer.  Try pushing very hard on the units connection to the TomTom device.

Message 9 of 28 (7,933 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
kbr61263

I have a similar problem. I attcahed my tom tom to the computer (using original lead), its taking charge, there are some issues with that computer, so I eventually gave up (it was saying device not recognised) and started again with my laptiop. First I installed tom tom software, but it is also not recognising the tom tom

Message 10 of 28 (7,790 Views)
Please use plain text.