Apprentice Traveler
ickle_mini_me

TOM TOM XL - Bought in USA can i add UK maps?

Hi -

Wondering if anyone can help - I bought a TOM TOM XL while in America last year and im wondering if there is enough space on the memory  to purchase UK/Europe maps and install them on there as well?

Or would i need to some how take all the USA maps / data off first to do it?? Is that even possible and if so how?  Im just worried about loosing all the American data.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5 (5,973 Views)
Please use plain text.
NC
Kudos: 188
Solutions: 71

Re: TOM TOM XL - Bought in USA can i add UK maps?

Because of the limited space in XL internal storage, the US and UK maps probably cannot coexist.  You can connect your XL  and log in to your TomTom HOME, pretending that you want to buy a new map, and see how big the maps are (US & UK).  Then you will know for sure if they can coexist.

In case the answer is no, what you can do is to use Explorer to access your XL.  Copy the map folder(s) to your computer hard drive and make sure you know where they are.  Once you have a good backup of all your maps, you can delete the map folder(s) that you don't need at the moment...and put the one that you will be using in to XL.

Also, everything that you ever downloaded via TomTom HOME has a copy in TomTom folder.  As long as you keep good records/backups, you will be fine with multiple maps.

I am a TomTom user just like you.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution on the most helpful reply
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos button

Need help with your TomTom device?
Add details about the TomTom device to your post: Device name, Application- and Map version.
Message 2 of 5 (5,972 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

[ Edited ]

You can certainly add the maps to your North American bought XL, but you will have to store the U.S. maps elsewhere before adding the European maps you need. I just did this on my XL 340, before traveling to Europe, and it was very easy to do.

As always, in my opinion, it's much better to purchase maps using TomTom Home. In that way, You will be sure to purchase maps that are appropriate for your device. Also, TomTom Home will automatically back up your old North America maps, before installing the new Europe maps. It was a very simple process when I did it, but it takes time (large download, and large backups to copy). Make sure you turn of any sleep or hibernate options on your computer first.

Before doing anything, as a precaution, it's best to make a complete copy of everything on the device, including hidden folders (check your settings on your computer) using whatever file browser on whatever operating system you normally use (you can even use Linux for this, but you cannot use TomTom Home with Linux). In this way, should you ever have an issue, you can always just copy everything back to the device, even without using TomTom Home.

Which model of XL did you purchase (as the internal memory may vary)? In general, they have 2 GB of flash memory. North American maps (U.S.A., Canada, Mexico) require about 1.6 GB. Europe maps vary in size and can be very large (more than 2 GB), except for single country maps (generally less than 1 GB). The larger European maps that do not fit on the device allow you to use "zones", that can be activated or deactivated according to what you need using TomTom Home.

If you return to the U.S.A., you will be able to store your European maps, and add your existing North America maps back to the device.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 3 of 5 (5,964 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
ickle_mini_me

Hi

I made a back up of my US maps (which i had to remove from the device to allow enough space for the additional maps) and also purchased the western europe maps which i can see on my Tom Tom Home.  I went to update my device to install the maps   - which appeared to go well - UNTIL.....

Step 3 Install to Hard disc - I get the following error message ...Error writing file: I:\licences\EULA-Danish-NO_US CAN.txt
as such it wont finish the intallation 'because of earlier failures'

And im now pretty stuck - can any one help - the full error message is copied below.  Even if i disconnect my device - it wont turn on :smileysurprised:(

I Have a TOM TOM XL S IQ Routes Edition (2GB)

I would really appreciate some help.....

Thanks

ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: I:\licences\EULA-Danish-NO_US CAN.txt
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
000003EE
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
                    error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
                                        this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
                return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
            this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
            this._errorFatal(error);

Message 4 of 5 (5,942 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Instead of using Home, try using Explorer (or Finder if a Mac) to reinstall the map.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 5 of 5 (5,937 Views)
Please use plain text.