Apprentice Traveler
LR60-Pilot
Accepted Solution

Start up issues on XL 340 IQ Routes

After receiving my TomTom as a Christmas present and using it several times, I loaned it to my son who used it once or twice successfully, then told me it wouldn't start up or get past the Bridge screen.  Touch screen was not operative and it would not search for satellites, just frozen on the Bridge.  He told me he'd left it in the car for several cold nights, but the battery seems to charge and after several attempts at a soft reset(holding down the button for 10-20 sec), it does the same thing every time.  I get the tomtom screen with drums, then tomtom with yellow loading bar across the bottom and name of device screen, then it switches to the Bridge picture and is frozen, no touching anywhere does anything.  I then have to hold it 10-20 sec and it will give me a light green screen for a few seconds and shuts off again.  If I connect it to my computer and hold down the start button, I get tomtom with drums, black and white device information screen, then it shuts off.  Any comments or suggestions?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 29 (3,023 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
Revered Voyager
mvl

Re: Start up issues on XL 340 IQ Routes

Will it connect and show up as a disk drive when connected to your computer?  If not, connect to your computer, then hold the power button until you hear the drums and then let go.  See if it shows up as a drive after that.

Once it shows up as a drive, run Tomtom HOME and try to do "Update my XL" repeatedly until nothing new is offerred.  Then run "Operate my XL" and see if the Tomtom emulator works there.  If so, add a favorite on the emulator screen, and then click "Done" to close the emulator, and then click the blue disconnect safely button.   This might fix things.

mvl

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. I am a Tomtom customer, not an employee.
Message 2 of 29 (2,979 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
LR60-Pilot

Thanks!  I was able to call (and be patient enough) to get tomtom customer support on the phone and they did basically what you described.  I had to go thru a windows disc repair on start up to fix something in the software, but after that it loaded the updates and seems to be working again.  Happy trails!

Message 3 of 29 (2,953 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
belindaj

I hope it's ok to add on to an old topic since I have the exact same issue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice - following the instructions in troubleshooting here on the website - and when I connect it to the computer it does recognize it and it tells me no updates are available - but I cannot use the "Operate My OneXL" button in my Home app - it's grayed out and if I click on it it tells me "You cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device. I have a 340-S XL. It has NEVER been used because I could not ever get ast this problem right when I bought it - and then I got frustrated and set it aside to deal with at a later date - and now it's out of warranty. It's literally a brand new unit though, that I bought to replace one that was stolen from my car. Would REALLY like to get it working and would be grateful for some additional troubleshooting. Thank you in advance.

Message 4 of 29 (2,530 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

Belindaj

Ok, too bad you set it aside until it's warranty ran out.....

But we will try to get you going if possible. Here are some questions we need

1. What operating system do you have?.

2. Is the gps working or not what are the symptoms? The gps should have worked just fine

out of the box without ever connecting it to the computer.

3. If you plug your gps into the computer does the gps ask if you want to connect to the computer?

4. If you got the the screen from the previous question and answered yes does the computer

connect to the gps....To check this go to my computer and open it. Does the tomtom device show

up in the list under the list of devices with removable drives?

5. What version of tomtom Home are you using?

6. Can you perfore a reset on the gps by holding the power button down until you hear a drum beat?

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 5 of 29 (2,522 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
belindaj

Ok, too bad you set it aside until it's warranty ran out.....

But we will try to get you going if possible. Here are some questions we need

1. What operating system do you have?. Vista Home on laptop, Vista Ultimate 64bit on desktop 1, XP on desktop 2 (this afternoon I was working on the XP box when I tried doing the reset. However I had gone through the same steps months ago on both Vista machines as well with the same results)

2. Is the gps working or not what are the symptoms? The gps should have worked just fine

out of the box without ever connecting it to the computer. Stuck on startup screen, or at the "I agree" screen, and eventually it just restarts itself over and over again. Cannot go past the "I agree" even though the touchpad "button" does turn blue when tapped.

3. If you plug your gps into the computer does the gps ask if you want to connect to the computer? Yes. It connects to the computer and I am able to run the Home to install /uninstall the application clean. But even after running the updates and not having any more to update, the GPS will not go past the startup screen/I agree screen.

4. If you got the the screen from the previous question and answered yes does the computer

connect to the gps....To check this go to my computer and open it. Does the tomtom device show

up in the list under the list of devices with removable drives? Yes.

5. What version of tomtom Home are you using? 2. Just downloaded it clean today (it had never been previously installed on that XP machine).

6. Can you perfore a reset on the gps by holding the power button down until you hear a drum beat? Yes. I get to the drumbeat, and to the screen where you agree to terms and conditions, but cannot progress past that screen.

Message 6 of 29 (2,508 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
belindaj

I know - I wish I had just sucked it up and sat on the phone for hours waiting for support to help me at the time - but I don't have a landline (haven't for the past 11 years) so sitting on the cell phone that long was not a workable option at the time. Hence my comment about being so frustrated with it that i set it aside - until I could take the time to go to a relative's or friend's house with a landline - and then time passed and I never got back to it until now - when we're really wishing it was working for a vacation trip this week.

Thanks for any help that might get it back on track.

Message 7 of 29 (2,512 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Since you have uninstalled and reinstalled the application software in the gps there is no point at this time to try it again..

As for which computer you should use..... the XP with service pack 3 is the least troublesum system so you might consider using it, at least for now.

Step 1: Check the memory for errors

1. Plug in your gps and open " My Computer" find the tomtom drive and right click on it .... open properties and look

to see if the memory is showing some free space at least 50 mb or more.

Next go to "tools" -> "error checking" -> "check now"

If no errors are found thats good... If it finds errors then check the two boxes in "error checking" and

run it again.

Step 2: Delete the mapsettings.cfg file

1. In "My Computer" click the tomtom drive to open it and view the files and folders. Check to see if you have a folder for  your map files.....the folder will not be called maps but will have the name of the area that the map covers...ie for USA

and Canada it will be called USA_Canada.

2. Open this  folder and find the file mapsettings.cfg .... and delete it.

3. Then disconnect the gps and try it....

Step 3:    If it is still stuck on the legal ( **bleep** lawyers) notice try to operate the gps via Home progam

1. Plug your gps back in to the computer.

2. Navigate to the option " Operate my device". It take awhile ( 30-40 sec) to actually start up

3. If it does start up operate you gps .... select a voices, create a favorite destination, check to see if you have a map

selected "switch map". Generally just go thru the settings and then when you are finished select " Done" at the

bottom of the page and disconnect your gps

Let me know who happens or doesn't happen.

Message 8 of 29 (2,504 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
belindaj

THANK. YOU. times a million.

I ran the memory checking and the fix errors and even though it said there were none - who knows. But I did delee the specified cfg file and followed the rest of your instructions, and finally was able to run it in emulation, and also to go ahead and run updates until there were no more to run (including the GPS Hotfix that kept erroring out).

We're doing this while traveling - so I had to download the Home app on my Vista laptop and now appear to finally be using my TomTom successfully! We'll find out how well in the next 5 days as we will be on the road a lot. Again thank you thank you thank you!

Message 9 of 29 (2,484 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Glad you got if working again.... make sure you create a backup of the memory of the gps just in case....

If you want to try to fix the gps Hotfix try this.

1. Plug in the gps into the pc....  open the gps USB drive .... look for a folder called ephem" ... open this folder

and delete the files in the folder .... there should be two or three files call ee_meta.tlv, ee_meta.txt and lto.dat

just delete all of them.

2 Close the gps drive, you are finish there.

3. Open the Home program and go to " Manage my device" . Click on "items in computer" ... scroll down to the bottom

to the item called Quickgpsfix data then select it .... then click on "remove items from computer"

4. You are done with that window so click on "back" and go to " update my device" and select it.

5. The Quickgpsfix should now start updating again.

Message 10 of 29 (2,471 Views)
Please use plain text.