Neophyte Traveler
hattrick1961

SETTING PASSWORD OR SECURITY CODE TO TURN UNIT ON...

Ok,...it only took me a few hours to figure out that you MUST DOWNLOAD HOME to get a lot of functions working. So, I've solved the german text issue. It wasn't too bad and I celebrated with a cold one. But here's my new dilemma. My old Garmin requires a password or security code to turn it on. I think that's one of those features that shouldn't be too difficult to initiate? Right? WRONG...its now midnight and I still can't figure it out. I can click on the box in HOME but the message says "not supported"? WTF?

Does anyone know how to set a password or security code? I would be greatful if this would be an operational feature. Its alos a theft deterrent.

Message 1 of 11 (4,049 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

Re: SETTING PASSWORD OR SECURITY CODE TO TURN UNIT ON...

Hi you've not mentioned which unit your using but on my xl live Europe you have to connect unit to tomtom home

then click on  operate my ****** (whatever your unit is),you may have a small download at this point.Then in the preferences menu select  "set owner" you can then set a password

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st go live 1000 (dead)
second go live 1000 (dead)
current go live 550 alive and doing what the 1xxx/2xxx/ vias should be doing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 2 of 11 (4,045 Views)
Please use plain text.
Founding Member
Oskar

hattrick1961 wrote:

My old Garmin requires a password or security code to turn it on. I think that's one of those features that shouldn't be too difficult to initiate? Right? WRONG...its now midnight and I still can't figure it out.

Honestly most of us helping here and in other forums around the world cannot recommend this feature. It just takes valuable lifetime to enter password/code each time powering up the device and it's absolutely of no use if someone decides that he wants your device more than yourself.

Besides it's really not a great job to get rid of that 'protection'! 

Oskar
Message 3 of 11 (4,039 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
tmike3

wa hey i did it managed to get mine to work each device securuty code ranges from 1000 to 9999 get pen and paper start from 500 either go up or down start by 5001 then 5002 then 5003 and so on till you get to 9999 you will crack the code but this will take time one of my kids set password in my tomtom which was 0007 if its a code you forgot the chances are that while you are trying to break the code part of or all of the code will come to you i usaly use the last 4 numbers on my bank card so i know if i forget it i know where it is without writing it down for someone to find or you can pay £20 to get your device unlocked goodluck hope that this has helped just remember to write down where you started and where you fin for when you take breaks inbetween

Message 4 of 11 (3,642 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Honestly most of us helping here and in other forums around the world cannot recommend this feature. It just takes valuable lifetime to enter password/code each time powering up the device and it's absolutely of no use if someone decides that he wants your device more than yourself.

Besides it's really not a great job to get rid of that 'protection'! 

I must agree. I thought it would be good to try the password; what could it hurt right? Wrong. I could no longer connect to my computer, nor could I reset my XXL. I had to remove all the personal information, not just the password, maybe even then reset the device, before I could restore the option to connect to my computer.

Good Idea, but not in practice.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 5 of 11 (3,533 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
progypsy

In this age of identity theft, I still think it would be a great idea. Instead of 4 numbers, you could have a mix of letters and numbers. Even with only 4 spaces, the odds of cracking would be far too remote to be worth the trouble of protecting your home address, your kid('s) school, your place of work, where you bank, etc. I vote in favor of a PIN code that can be a mix of numbers and case sensitive letters. If somebody is going to steal your GPS, they will probably give up in disgust trying to use it. At least you've protected the identity of you and your cared-about, at the expense of a device you can easily repurchase.

FWIW, I have the VIA1535TM.

Message 6 of 11 (3,041 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

An addition measure for security is  to make sure that your home location stored in the gps is not your actual location but somewhere near by.  Do the same for private destinations stored in favorites and don't use names or relationships when naming the locations.

Also stop using Facebook, this is now the first place people go to start gathering information on a person.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 7 of 11 (3,030 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
kanda

Great idea, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks

Message 8 of 11 (1,975 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Jason75

The notion that a PIN deters theft is comical. A thief has no way of knowing if a unit is PIN locked when he grabs it. As for protecting information, another laugh. What is to keep a thief from grabbing registration or other papers out of the glovebox or console if he really cares about where you live.  eBay has PIN unlocking services for ~ $25. I would think your home is the last place a thief would want to go. Tomtom treats PIN's differently than does its chief competitor.. It is significantly less of a issue with a TT.

PIN locks are primarily a vanity tool for owners. No real protection is afforded at all. There are plenty of PIN locked units for sale. It might lower the resale value a bit. If someone wants to defeat it, they can.

Message 9 of 11 (1,941 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
FrogJacuzzi

[ Edited ]

POLICE LOVE SATNAVS!

There certainly is a very strong chance that police, overstepping their powers, will be deterred by a four digit PIN from reading all the locations from your satnav if you are ever arrested.

If you think you're okay because you 'have nothing to hide' think again. When you are snooped on, you look suspicious. For instance, if you are spied on at home through a CCTV van, the spy will usually become convinced you're up to something and push for your front door to be kicked in, and your family terrorised (at gunpoint if you live in the US) even in the absence of any evidence whatsoever.

The same is true as the police examine all the places you've been. You look like a drug dealer, whatever those locations actually are. Never give police more information than they have a right to, and never speak to them without legal advice, especially if you are innocent.Ask any halfway decent lawyer -- or ex-police!

Quite apart from all that, the notion that we should abandon privacy in the name of showing the world that we have nothing to hide is ridiculous. Everybody has a right to privacy, and the hour-or-three it would take for anybody to break a 4 digit PIN is certainly a lot more difficult than the nothing-at-all that it takes without.

If you really ARE a drug dealer I'm sure I don't need to convince you to make use of this valuable feature! As well as: Delete locations when you've learnt them, and use obscure names in the meantime. The automatic naming by the location is pretty good, but could get confusing if you go to a lot of locations. Obviously, do not use names of people.

Message 10 of 11 (568 Views)
Please use plain text.