Apprentice Traveler
johnhoar46
Accepted Solution

One XL memory cards

Hi,

This subject has been raised a number of times before so apologies for asking another variation. My device is a 2008 One XL Western Europe with 1 GB internal memory, so can now only load one Zone.

I recently bought a 2GB SD card but didn't realise it would not utilise internal plus external card (3GB), so I am back to one Zone on the SD card - a wasted purchase. I now find out there are no 4GB SD cards, only SDHC, which One XL will not recognise.

So my options are:

(a) buying 3 x 2GB SD cards and loading a zone on each (thanks to a forum member for that)

(b) buy a preloaded W Europe card from Tom Tom, or

(c) buying a new device.

What do forum members suggest?

Message 1 of 19 (4,866 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,389
Solutions: 554

Re: One XL memory cards

I would go for option C. Less hassle. Definitely no B, and you can do A, not much of a hassle (apart from the downloading times), and would cost around £6 in total (if you get the cards from eBay or so).

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 19 (4,860 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
johnhoar46

Hi Zsolt,

Many thanks for the advice. Not imminently going to Europe, so I will wait to decide what to do. The longer I wait the more attractive is option (c). 

John

Message 3 of 19 (4,806 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
wILYN1

I have TT one xl bought in Spain in 2007 (249€). I now want to update the W/Euope maps which exceed the 2GB card so purchased 4GB SD card from Amazon where I was told it is suitable for my device. The map that was supplied was never correct; in Spain roads missing, directed us totally in the wrong direction; our road that's been here for 50 years is not on most maps but a none existent road is.

The 4GB card can be loaded with a copy from the working 2GB card but the TT will not accept it but TT Home will.  It tells me on TT home 2.9 with the card in the device to format the card. Well it is formatted. I have not found anything from Tom Tom to advise that the one XL will not accept a 4GB card.

Personally I have never been happy with my TT. It never seems to know where it is. Turn around on a motorway, turn right over the viaduct, sends you down a 4km dirt track or even advises to turn into a farmers field. When ever it got near to Lyon (France) it always went crazy. I put this down to low free memory 28Mb hence the attempt to increase the useable memory. It does not add the 2GB card to the device 1GB.

Message 4 of 19 (4,381 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,389
Solutions: 554

I think the limit is 2GB for that device, but hopefully others will chip in to confirm...or deny.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 5 of 19 (4,378 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
redridinghood

Using the TomTom ONE XL, the simplest way to increase capacity is to load the latest Navcore which is 9.170_SE.  This allows you to use a SDHC 4GB card also a 8GB SDHC card works satisfactorily. You'll also get a "CLEAR ROUTE" button.

(You can forget about trying to source 4GB SD cards! - these are AUD6.82 post paid from China to AU)

Message 6 of 19 (1,672 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
trevmm

[ Edited ]

What is Navcore which is 9.170_SE, where do i get it from and where do i load it to please?

I have a TT One XL with the same 2gb problem

regards

Trevmm

Please reply here and to xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx thanks

[Mod edit: Please do not include personal/private information when making a public post. Thanks!]

Message 7 of 19 (208 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Remember that with the One XL (and many others: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9893/kw/memory%20cards) you must also have the TT app software and a voice installed on the card before it will work.

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 8 of 19 (167 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
redridinghood

Further to my previous post regarding memory cards for a TT One XL.  The original problem that I had was the TT I had was a TT XL which does not have the memory card facility, only the internal memory which would only hold EITHER Australia OR Western Europe NOT both!! So I gave it to my grand daughter and bought a S/H TT One XL off eBay.  The model seems to be 2007.

The long and short of it is that I have the two maps, Australia 935.5744, the latest version (for which I have a subscription) and the old Western Europe 815.2024 from 2009 - 10 (this was quite an accurate version).

These two maps happily co-exist together on the 4GB SDHC (awfully standard card) and both work perfectly.

Navcore 9.170SE can be downloaded from the internet as most of the English speaking sites seem quite reasonable - I have not picked up any gremlins from where I got Navcore.

Navcore is a bunch of directories (14) and files (probably 16 or maybe 27).

You probably need to load up the 4GB card using the computer for both maps and then run FastActivate on them both.  Make sure that you get the latest version of FastActtivate as a new one comes out every couple of months.

Good luck,

Message 9 of 19 (154 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
trevmm

Sallor225,

i don't really understand your answer, i have installed a small version of the current map on my TT one xl, using the tom tom software on my computer, i was wandering what this navcom thing was?

regards

Trevmm

Message 10 of 19 (149 Views)
Please use plain text.