Novice Explorer
vertuas

No GPS Signal

Hi All,

Around 3 month ago,  20 minutes from home on a 4 hour trip, my TomTom Xl IQ lost GPS signal.

Since then, my TomTom has not been able to find any signal at all.

I have reset it and have just updated the device to the latest software.  Still no joy.

Is this a TomTom repair job?  Does anyone know how much it costs? Is it comparable to buying a new TomTom?

Thanks

David

Message 1 of 6 (8,814 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,598
Solutions: 320

Re: No GPS Signal

Hi David,

do you still have a QuickGPSfix file? Did you leave your device on to find a satellite lock for about 15 minutes in an open area where no buildings can block the view?

If not you may try those two options. If you don't have a QuickGPSfix file on your device it might take up to those 15 minutes to get a satellite lock.

The first time could just have been a one-time problem and I'd check the possibilities before running for a repair or a new device.

Regards
Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 6 (8,813 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
clarencechai-yh

I have been using TomTom XXL550 for more than two years now and noticed these.

1) If you switch on or off when inside a building with no GPS signal, TomTom will take much longer (10-25 mins.)  to find GPS again after you travel out into the open area.

2) PROBLEM!!!: About every three weeks, my GPSFix inside TOMTOM disappeared??? It cannot find GPS signal and the device rendered useless!!! I seek TomTom suppport and have a replacement unit which give the same problem!? That means, every three weeks, I had to add GPSFix into my TomTom via my home computer.

Does anyone knows the solution?

3) Alternatively, can TomTom update GPSFix via my bluetooth smartmobile data so that I do not have to remove the unit from my car?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 6 (8,809 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

Quickgpsfix, has to be replace every few days, The data in the file is the orbital data of the navsats and expire after a few days. However the gps does not need this information preloaded via quickgpsfix. The navsats broadcasts similar  infomation, which is the reason why the gps takes longer to  determine a position fix because it has to wait for the data to be sent.

Also when you switch off the gps in the presents of the gps signal. Infomation about the navsats and your current position are stored away and reuse if the gps is turned back on within a short period of time.  All gps's function like this.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 4 of 6 (8,804 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
vertuas

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I did the software update yesterday, the download included Quick Fix.

The unit has been sat in the living room window today, for a couple of hour and shows no satelites at all.

I hope that the software update would fix it, but  it hasn't :smileysad:

Thanks

Message 5 of 6 (8,780 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Is the gps still under warranty ( 12 months usually ), if it is you should contact customer service to exchange the gps. The cost of repairing a gps is more then buying a new one.

If it is not under warranty you should try one more thing. Uninstal and reinstall the software in the gps.

First: make a backup of the contents of the gps using windows explorer. Per this link.
http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.h...

Second: check the flash memory in the gps to make sure there are no errors.
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9908/kw/memory%20error

Third: If the memory has no errors or they were repaired by the check disk utility you just ran, uninstall the software on the gps and reinstall it.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2053/kw/reinstall

Note: when reinstalling the gps software you may have to perform up to three updates to get everything installed. The  gps may not work correctly until all the updates are installed. Be sure to restart Home and the gps between each update. If the gps won't connect to the computer normally just reset the gps with it connected to the computer. The gps should automatically try to connect to the pc.

Forth: If the gps is working now, there are a few misc files like startup / shutdown screens that you can copy back to the gps from the backup copynyou made. Here is a list of those files. Just use windows explorer to copy them from the main directory of the backup to the main directory in the gps. Do worry if you do not find all these files are not on your backup. Not all gps models have all these files.

1. antitheftw.bmp   (this may have the named antitheft.bmp)
 2. autorun.inf
 3. splashw.bmp      (this may have the named splash.bmp)
 4. suspendw.bmp     (this may have the named suspend.bmp)
 5. tomtom.ico

If everything is working ok now we recommend making a final backup of your gps. That way if something happens in the future all you have to do is delete everything on the gps and copy the backup to the gps and you are done.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 6 of 6 (8,766 Views)
Please use plain text.