Novice Explorer
Vixican

My TomTom XL Keeps rebooting!

Last week I was using my TomTom XL and it froze while I was driving. I turned it off and now whenever I try and turn it back on it goes to the TomTom screen then to the screeen which shows the TomTom and blue screen behind it (as if you were to plug it into your computer) and then has a drive in the bottom left hand corner and it looks like something is downloading and it does this over and over again. I have already done all of the current updates. I have already reset it and have fully charged it and let it drain a bunch of times. I won it a yr ago at an ice fishing contest so not sure if I can still take advantage of the warranty or not.

HELP!@

Message 1 of 56 (12,583 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
magriffi99

Re: My TomTom XL Keeps rebooting!

Mine does the same. Whenever I go to POI it shuts off and reboots I cannot put in an address due to the same problem

Message 2 of 56 (12,578 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
spider362

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

Try this:

• With the device off, plug it into the computer
  • Turn the device on and when it asked if you want to connect to the computer tap "Yes"
  • If TomTom Home doesn't launch, launch it
  • Go to "Operate my device" on page 2
  • Plan a short trip in your city
  • Tap "Done"
  • Properly disconnect the device from TT Home by clicking on the blue disconnect icon in the lower right corner of the page
  • Disconnect the device from the computer when told it's safe to do so
  • Restart the device

Any better?

-------------------------------------------
Device: XXL540TM
Device App Version: 9.430.890926
Map Version: USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P v885.4097
TomTom Home version: 2.8.3.2499
Message 3 of 56 (12,576 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Vixican

I did everything you said step by step but now its frozen on the TomTom screen and will not shut off. I will let the battery drain and try it again.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 56 (12,571 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Uninstall and reinstall the application.

First make a backup of the contents of the gps using windows explorer. Per this link.
http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.h...

Second, check the flash memory in the gps to make sure there are no errors.
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9908/kw/memory%20error

If the memory has no errors or they were repaired by the check disk utility you just ran, uninstall the software on the gps and reinstall it per the following link

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2053/kw/reinstall

Note: when reinstalling the gps software you may have to perform up to three updates to get everything installed. The  gps may not work correctly until all the updates are installed. With the gps plugged into the computer just reset it to get the gps to connect to the computer and perform another update.

If the gps is working now, there are a few misc files like startup / shutdown screens that you can copy back to the gps from the backup copynyou made. Here is a list of those files. Just use windows explorer to copy them from the main directory of the backup to the main directory in the gps.

1. antitheftw.bmp   (this may have the named antitheft.bmp)
 2. autorun.inf
 3. splashw.bmp      (this may have the named splash.bmp)
 4. suspendw.bmp     (this may have the named suspend.bmp)

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 5 of 56 (12,567 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Orlando1066

Hi. I'm having the same trouble  and can't seem to get my XL Live IQ Routes working again. I decided to update my Tomtom  as I  hadn't done so for a while and connected it to the PC. There was application upgrade to my system as well as speed camera updates. The system upgrade download error'd out and at that point my tomtom ceased to work. I tried rebooting/resetting  and all i get is either a blue screen with the Tomtom on it or the Tomtom system information on the screen.

I've left it for a couple of hours each time and then tried resetting/rebooting  but I can't get beyond the above screens.

When I go to Control my device then everything is at it should be but I can nothing on my tomtom itself.

i went  to the back up but that file appears to be corrupt and won't respond. Is there no way to download the application file that needs to be on my Tomtom?

Any suggestions would be welcome or will I have to but a new satnav?

Message 6 of 56 (12,238 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the software in the gps.

First: make a backup of the contents of the gps using windows explorer. Per this link.
http://www.tomtomforums.com/general-tomtom-discussion/17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer.h...

Second: check the flash memory in the gps to make sure there are no errors.
http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9908/kw/memory%20error

Third: If the memory has no errors or they were repaired by the check disk utility you just ran, uninstall the software on the gps and reinstall it.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2053/kw/reinstall

Note: when reinstalling the gps software you may have to perform up to three updates to get everything installed. The  gps may not work correctly until all the updates are installed. Be sure to restart Home and the gps between each update. If the gps won't connect to the computer normally just reset the gps with it connected to the computer. The gps should automatically try to connect to the pc.

Forth: If the gps is working now, there are a few misc files like startup / shutdown screens that you can copy back to the gps from the backup copynyou made. Here is a list of those files. Just use windows explorer to copy them from the main directory of the backup to the main directory in the gps. Do worry if you do not find all these files are not on your backup. Not all gps models have all these files.

1. antitheftw.bmp   (this may have the named antitheft.bmp)
 2. autorun.inf
 3. splashw.bmp      (this may have the named splash.bmp)
 4. suspendw.bmp     (this may have the named suspend.bmp)
 5. tomtom.ico

If everything is working ok now we recommend making a final backup of your gps. That way if something happens in the future all you have to do is delete everything on the gps and copy the backup to the gps and you are done.

If this has failed to resolve your problem, you might consider reformatting the gps's memory. Here is a link for the procedure.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 7 of 56 (12,231 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
jdvb

Sadly my tomtom reboots either after something like 30 seconds or when I have entered the time on "first boot"

It is unable to complete this first boot so it keeps comming back.

I have tried the steps discribed here:

ressetting, connecting to computer --> plan trip --> no result.

checkdisk, no errors

reinstalling --> no result

formatting (no steps described so just formatted from windows after exiting tomtom) after reinstall --> no result.

I am guessing it is some other hardware error that is causing the trouble.

What other steps can I try to fix my tomtom? It is more then a year old so probably no warranty anymore.

If nothing can be done, what's left? Can I get another GPS enabled device and make use of my tomtom + maps on that as I have already paid for those?

Message 8 of 56 (11,698 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Needham

Thanks for your help that worked for me.

Message 9 of 56 (11,174 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
KasperH

I have the same issue as described above, it started, while on route from Spain to France, during my holiday (how nice.... failure, while you need the thingy the most) tried the advised fix, several times, with no success.

After the 1st application load, I can operate my TomTom XL Live IQ Routes properly (tried for a few minutes, then "upgraded" to the latest firmware, and got the issue back.

Even removed everything (did not format), without success. Any other solutions would be appreciated

Message 10 of 56 (9,894 Views)
Please use plain text.