Master Traveler
sikchims
Accepted Solution

My Tom Tom is not accepting full post code and further details

Hi Friends,

I am a happy user of Tomm Tom xxl since last 8-10 months.

Recently I had connected the Tom Tom to the net via my PC for update.

However after down loading the updates, my Tom Tom is not accepting the full post code for search as previously.

Now it is just taking the post code say for example: HU5 4HF...

But is is not going ahead HU5, further it shows few street names for search option and plan the journey.

Previously I used to get the Navigation help after entering HU54HF, but now it does not accept full postcode.

What should I do now to go back to the initial version recieved with the equipment? 

Message 1 of 12 (1,251 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,392
Solutions: 554

Re: My Tom Tom is not accepting full post code and further details

You need to download the postcode database:

http://www.tomtom.com/updates/zipcodes/Map_890/zip.zip
http://download.tomtom.com/open/zipcode/895/great_britain.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/open/zipcode/900/great_britain.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/open/zipcode/905/great_britain.cab

Try to get the same version as your map's:

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12214/

Then extract the postcode file to a folder called: zip, and place that folder in the root of your device's storage.

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 2 of 12 (1,236 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
sikchims

Hi Brother,

Thanks for your initial suggestion.

But to be honest I am not much computer savvy, but still I visited your links and downloaded the ZIP files for Post codes.

There after tried to connect the device to my Lap, but however I couldn't load the back up available with me my Laptop, instead it was directly connected to the Home page.

And what a surprise, now I have landed in a new problem, the device gets started, than I see the terms and condition page, I click agree....Its stays as it is for a while, than every thing vanishes and the same screen appears (terms agreement)...

Now it is not moving further also..

Is there any way that I can get the complete device formatted and reload the original 2012 data which I got on my purchase, as I was quiet comfortable with the same, feels like I wouldn't have opted to update the device in any condition.

And one more thing I have too many files and back up over my PC, so can I get them all deleted and connect to the home page to download the one required for UK, Ireland & Scotland car user.

I am new to this country & so don't want to take up any risk in case of Sat nav...

Thanks for the trouble you are taking for us brother...

Message 3 of 12 (1,204 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

[ Edited ]

This is the way to re-install everything:

1. Save everything from the device, using Explorer (or Finder on Mac), include all the files (hidden as well). It is also known as a manual backup: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13354/

2. Then format the internal storage (or memory card, depending which one you use) of your device. Use the COMPLETE format, not the quick. http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12412/

3. Go to TT HOME, Manage my "DEVICE", delete everything from the hard drive and try the update again (in the new TomTom HOME app it is on the second page). At this point you might have to disconnect the device a few times and switch it ON/OFF to enable it to setup some important stuff.

4. Copy your voices and post codes back to the device (also the maps if that didn't download either).

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE

Message 4 of 12 (1,198 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
sikchims

Hi Brother,

Now this is a new problem and I am unable to go ahead with the Tom Tom now.

Sorry to trouble you & all for the same.

Kindly advise.

Tom Tom Error.JPG

Message 5 of 12 (1,176 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

Did you copy the map back from the manual backup? If not or no map available, then it might be tricky...

Message 6 of 12 (1,173 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
sikchims

Hi Brother,

Seems Maps are unavailable with the backup...

Now it seems this a new problem.

Any ways to come out...

Thanks and regards

Message 7 of 12 (1,170 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt

If you don't have it in your backup and not downloading it, then you need to buy a new map. Not sure if it is worth all that hassle.

Message 8 of 12 (1,167 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
ak1265

if you done a back up on the tomtom site then you should find the postcodes for uk on items on your pc to transfer them back on to your tomtom ..............had the same problem after update

Message 9 of 12 (1,124 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
Locatedgirl

I have done a map update on my Tom Tom Start 25 and when I came to use it, my device does not recognise my post codes at all.   I have contacted Tom Tom and they have suggested I download the postcodes and explained how to create the folder called ZIP.   It then gives instructions on copying and pasting the file "zip" to the root  file of my device.

My problem is my device is not listed as they explained under "Start", "Computer" and even under the list of my Devices there is only my Tom Tom listed and when I click on that, I cannot "paste" any files to it and cannot locate any root directory as they explained.    Where can i find the root file to paste my "zip" file to ?

Message 10 of 12 (758 Views)
Please use plain text.