Novice Explorer
veronica

My Computer Doesn't Detect my TomTom XXL?

So i just purchased my first GPS, I am planning on moving to california and i can't seem to understand why when i connect my TomTom to my computer it keeps saying the memory card is copywrite protected or something in that matter i can't update maps or anything with it not detecting my TomTom I was wondering if there was a way for me to change a setting on it for it to be detected i tried every usb cable and it doesn't change, my windows media player detected it but the tomtom home doesn't. PLEASE HELP!

Message 1 of 14 (3,288 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 42

Re: My Computer Doesn't Detect my TomTom XXL?

Did you already try to reset the device by pressing the power button until you hear the drums ?

Does your model have a sd cad slot with sd card in it and if so, did you check whether the card is write-protected ?

Novice Explorer
veronica

No it doesn't have a memory card slot, Like i'm saying im new at this i looked at it and saw no where a memory card could go. It's a TomTom XXL 530 S. That's what it says on the box. I restarted it plenty of times, i took the usb out and restarted and put the usb in and restarted and still wouldn't work.

Message 3 of 14 (3,284 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi

A simple restart may not be enough that why I asked for the "drum reset". The next step could be to reset the device to factory (settings - reset to factory or similar)

And first you can check with windows explorer whether the internal storage has a read-only attribute (which I would doubt but who knows)

Legendary Explorer
boobay1203

couple of things if your using a MAC 10.6 or higher it will not read the unit for some odd reason 10.6 on a MAC is not functioning correctly with the unit.

second off, if its a regular computer Windows try the two back ports on the tower and reset. holding the power button down till you hear the drums if that dont work check the bottom of the unit if there is a reset then while still connect to the computer press it in for 10 seconds then press the power button and you should be able to get a screen on the unit that shows a little tom tom.

as for the computer if a auto play or media pops up just close it and go into the home 2 in your programs or all programs and check for the updates again

Message 5 of 14 (3,231 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
veronica

No I am not using a mac 10.6 I am using Windows i believe i actually don't even know anymore! Too many freaking upgrades and boosts and SH*T but I tried the two back ports on the tower, but there is no reset button on my TOMTOM so would i just have to restart my computer? Please be a little more specific!

Message 6 of 14 (3,225 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

[ Edited ]

hi hold down the power button for upto 20 seconds you will then hear a drum roll let go of power button,this is a soft reset,its like re starting your pc .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st go live 1000 (dead)
second go live 1000 (dead)
current go live 550 alive and doing what the 1xxx/2xxx/ vias should be doing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 7 of 14 (3,218 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
veronica

There was no drum roll. When i push it it either shuts down or turns on even if i continue to hold it. I have TOMTOM XXL 530S. I bought it from radio shack is there a certain TOMTOM home i should download cause i just downloaded a random TOMTOM HOME. I downloaded TOMTOM HOME 2. DO i need to download a different one?!

Message 8 of 14 (3,207 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

hi tomtom home 2 is correct ,the no drum roll issue is strange.hopefully a user more techy than myself can help

1st go live 1000 (dead)
second go live 1000 (dead)
current go live 550 alive and doing what the 1xxx/2xxx/ vias should be doing
Message 9 of 14 (3,203 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi

Home 2 is the correct version for your device, just deinstall your current version and download it again from the tt page just to be sure you have the lastest available build.

The drum roll should work, I've never read that it shouldn't. Just power the device down, then try it again by pressing the button continously unti you hear the drums.

Next step could be to connect your device to the pc without starting Home. Did it get recognized by the pc ? If so, open the Windows Explorer, choose the internal drive of the device, then right klick with your mouse / properties / Tools / Error-checking Check Now and mark the option for automatic repair.

Disconnect it and try again to start it up. If all works make a backup using windows explorer. Mark all files and folders on your internal drive and copy the whole stuff to your pc.