Apprentice Explorer
WeatherWiFi

Re: MY TOMTOM XL WON'T SWITCH ON

Connected GPS Unit to PC, low and behold, after switching on the unit I get a Please wait Screen (First Time, didn't get the Drum Roll and Flashing Red X Screen), but the unit is still not working properly!

I right click storage drive and hit explore and get this message: The Disk in Drive (E) is not Formatted, would you like to format it? Yes or No, I chose: No!

In drive E: Properties, Tools, Check Disk, Start Now, Nothing Happened!

In drive E: Properties, General, Used Space: 0 bytes, Free Space: 0 bytes, Capacity: 0 bytes, File System: Raw

In drive E: Tools, Defragment Now, Starts, Stops at Message: Disk Defragmenter cannot run on this colume type.

In drive E: Tools, Backup Now, Drive E: Message Appears: The drive E: did not respond, please make sure there is a valid disk in the drive to function properly.

In drive E: Properties, Hardware, drive E: TomTom One, Type Disk Drive, Device Status: this device is working properly.

In drive E: Properties, hardware, drive E: TomTom One, Properties, Volumes, Populate, Volume E: 1908 MB, Disk: 3, Type: Removable, Staus: Online, Partition: MBR, Capacity: 1908 MB, Unalicated Space: 0 MB, Reserved Space: 0 MB.

Here it shows something is on the GPS Unit, but it won't let me explore the units drive or do any tools.

Start: My Computer, Manage, Disk Management, drive E: removable, 1.86 GB, Healthy, Right Click, Explore, Message Appears: Please Format Drive: E.

Start: My Computer, Manage, Removable Storage, Media: Name: 1, Type: Removable, Library: TomTom One, State: Idle, Mounted Side: 1, Usage: New

Libraries: ATAPI iHAP422-9 and ATAPI iHDP118-4 and TomTom One

This is all I can do to my XL335 GPS Unit, It only accesses Computer as a Removable Drive and won't let me in to view any files unless I Format it. MyTomTomHOME still says Device Not Detected!

I have done these Explorations on both Windows XP Pro SP3 Desktop and my Windows 7 Pro Laptop.

ANY OTHER IDEAS?

Indiana Severe Weather Intercept Team
Message 21 of 39 (5,448 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

1)  Have you tried running the clear flash tool 3 times also?  http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7394/kw/clear%20flash%20tool%203%20times/relate...

2)  Was your unit backed up prior to this that you can maybe reformat it and then restore from backup?

This link below describes how to do it.  But I should warn you that it says 

Important: Follow this procedure only when you have been advised to by TomTom Customer Support, or if you have an active Map Update Service subscription.

So you might want to contact customer service first.  

To me I'm logically thinking that you can connect your device and Windows shows it as connected and ready to use but you can not see any file content.  You get the same result on two separate PC's.  It seems to me the problem is related to device file system.  You are not able to run a chkdsk, and nothing changes after trying to run the clear flash tool 3 times.  

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15940/kw/format

Message 22 of 39 (5,443 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
WeatherWiFi

I downloaded the TomTom Flash Tool, Followed Instructions, step by step as it says.

Flash Tool refuses to Install and will not Detect the GPS Unit drive: E. on Windows XP Pro SP3 with IE8

Flash Tool refuses to install and will not Detect the GPS Unit drive: D. on Windows 7 Pro with IE9

I tried Step by Step Instructions to Install

I tried Unzipping the Downloaded File and Double Clicking Install TomTom Flash Tool also, with no Luck, Still won't install!

I have a Reset Button on the Bottom of my Unit, I pressed the Reset Button and all I get is the Black Screen with Info and Credits about my Unit in White Lettering.

Here is what it says after Reset Button pressed:

TomTom One (TM) (c) TomTom 2003-2010 Build -N/A-

Hardware Type: TomTom XL

SubID (Feature) 0 1: 00 (0000000D0000000)

Bootloader version: S5.5274 clist#540743 RUCT

Checksum: 5D04

Memory: 64 MB Type: MDDR

CPU ID: 32450003

Clocks: 264.0 132.0 66.0

GPS type: GL2 BCM4750 FFFF

TFT Type: Samsung LMS430HF29 26

Internal FLASH capacity: 1953792 KB

MMC NAND version (PRV): 12 48.0 MHz 4 B Samsung

Startup Mode: Sleep

Device ID: GJ2430B10147

Touchscreen calib. data: 212 826 325 660 @3300mV

Sector protection: Yes

Battery boot voltage: 5000 mV 0x036E 0x0300

RTC: 14:50:28 09/09/2012

Any More Ideas would be Appreciated?

Message 23 of 39 (5,429 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
WeatherWiFi

These following Discussions are what I’ve achieved since my TomTom XL335 decided to stop working properly 2 weeks ago. These Discussions are in order from the Start to Current.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated?

I have a TomTom XL335, It was working fine yesterday, holding a good charge. Today my XL335 I turned it on and it shows a Flashing Red X onscreen, Will not show map! I brought it in the house, signed into TomTomHome on the Computer, I connected my XL335 with the Data Cable and turned it on to the Flashing X Screen and immediatelly my computer is asking to Format XL335 Drive. I chose to Cancel. My computer does not recognize the XL335 and will not Connect. I pressed the Reset Button next to the DataPort and nothing happened, just shut off unit. I restarted the XL335 and a new screen came up, it was information or credits to the XL335 Unit, but PC still wont recognize it. I shut it off and back on and the Flashing Red X returns and PC wants to format the unit.

1. Flashing Red X Screen

2. Info or Credits Screen

3. Please Format XL335 Drive

4. No PC Connection Recognized

5. Will Not Connect to TomTomHome

6. Stuck on Flashing Red X Screen

7. Reset Button does not work

8. Power Button held for 20 seconds shows info or credits about the unit

9. Uninstalled TomTomHome, Reinstalled TomTomHome, No Change!

I already searched the Forum and tried all current answers with no help!

My unit is just over 1 year old (XL335).

XL335 - I took my unit over to a different PC that has Windows XP Pro SP3, I downloaded and installed TomTomHOME to the Desktop. I turned on my XL335 to the Flashing Red X Screen, Plugged in the Data Cable to the Unit and PC, my Computer said New Harware Found, installed New Hardware as a Storage Device Only!

I signed into TomTomHOME, it said Device Not Connected!

I still have the Flashing Red X Screen, I can shut down the unit by pressing the Reset button on the bottom of the unit or the power button, but when I press reset and then hold the power button down for 20 seconds I get a different screen that shows information about the XL335, like credits on a screen.

I tried to download and install TomTom Flash Utility, but it only works unless your XL335 is Connected to a PC, which this is the problem, my GPS XL335 refuses to connect to any PC XP or WIN7.

My XL335 is just over 1 Year Old, I guess its the Total Life Span of the GPS Unit. XL335 has worked Flawlessly since the day I bought it and since the last update was installed. I never had any problems out of it till yesterday morning when it started Flashing a Red X instead of going straight to the the Map.

I already tried several links from other forums, but I have to PC Connection, only recognized as a Storage Device and PC wants to Format it!

Ok, I connected XL335 to my Computer, I accessed my TomTom Account online with IE8, Device not Detected.

I opened TomTomHOME also, Device Not Detected!

I access my computer, my computer says: Removable Disk: (E) 0 bytes, my computer keeps asking me to Format Removable Disk (E), won't let me access any files!

On my TomTom XL335 when I connected it to the PC by USB Data Cable, I first had the Flashing Red X Screen, then it changed to Please wait Screen, now I'm seeing a Blue Screen with a picture of my unit and a cable out the bottom.

I tried to Explore the Drive, won't allow access to unit, just keeps saying Please Format!

Under Device Manager, Disk Drives, I see TomTom One, Microsoft says Device Working, it tells me which USB port its connected too and properties says 0MB.

I tried to Access Unit through Disk Management, there's no access point available!

Kind of Strange, one day it works Great, the next day it Don't work at all!

My XL335 only Flashes a Red X when turned on, just started this today, just a Flashing Red X!

Yesterday worked Great, Today its a Piece of Junk!

Won't Reset after Pressing the Reset Button!

Won't Connect to PC or TomTomHome!

Can't get any immediate Help from anyone at TomTom!

My XL335 is just over 1 year old, I guess 1 year is its total life span.

My XL335 is used everyday, on all the time, only shutdown when I park the truck. This morning I was looking into a new Garmin GPS, because I can't find a fix for the TomTom! My Unit has been sitting here flashing Red X for hours off charge, battery still not dead.

XL335 - I decided to get off the Laptop with Win 7 Pro, I installed TomTomHOME to my Windows XP Pro Desktop. I turned on my XL335 and plugged the Data cable to the PC and XL335. My Desktop Found New Hardware as an External Storage Device and asked me to Format Drive D: Message Popup. My TomTomHOME says Device Not Connected. My XL335 Unit is still Flashing the Red X Screen.

1. Press On

2. Flashing Red X Screen

3. Download/Install TomTom HOME to Windows 7 Laptop and Windows XP Desktop

4. Found New Hardware as a Storage Device, Please Format Drive D: Message appears

5. TomTomHOME Device Not Connected

6. Still Flashing Red X Screen

Connected GPS Unit to PC, low and behold, after switching on the unit I get a Please wait Screen (First Time, didn't get the Drum Roll and Flashing Red X Screen), but the unit is still not working properly!

I right click storage drive and hit explore and get this message: The Disk in Drive (E) is not Formatted, would you like to format it? Yes or No, I chose: No!

In drive E: Properties, Tools, Check Disk, Start Now, Nothing Happened!

In drive E: Properties, General, Used Space: 0 bytes, Free Space: 0 bytes, Capacity: 0 bytes, File System: Raw

In drive E: Tools, Defragment Now, Starts, Stops at Message: Disk Defragmenter cannot run on this colume type.

In drive E: Tools, Backup Now, Drive E: Message Appears: The drive E: did not respond, please make sure there is a valid disk in the drive to function properly.

In drive E: Properties, Hardware, drive E: TomTom One, Type Disk Drive, Device Status: this device is working properly.

In drive E: Properties, hardware, drive E: TomTom One, Properties, Volumes, Populate, Volume E: 1908 MB, Disk: 3, Type: Removable, Staus: Online, Partition: MBR, Capacity: 1908 MB, Unalicated Space: 0 MB, Reserved Space: 0 MB.

Here it shows something is on the GPS Unit, but it won't let me explore the units drive or do any tools.

Start: My Computer, Manage, Disk Management, drive E: removable, 1.86 GB, Healthy, Right Click, Explore, Message Appears: Please Format Drive: E.

Start: My Computer, Manage, Removable Storage, Media: Name: 1, Type: Removable, Library: TomTom One, State: Idle, Mounted Side: 1, Usage: New

Libraries: ATAPI iHAP422-9 and ATAPI iHDP118-4 and TomTom One

This is all I can do to my XL335 GPS Unit, It only accesses Computer as a Removable Drive and won't let me in to view any files unless I Format it. MyTomTomHOME still says Device Not Detected!

I have done these Explorations on both Windows XP Pro SP3 Desktop and my Windows 7 Pro Laptop.

I downloaded the TomTom Flash Tool, Followed Instructions, step by step as it says.

Flash Tool refuses to Install and will not Detect the GPS Unit drive: E. on Windows XP Pro SP3 with IE8

Flash Tool refuses to install and will not Detect the GPS Unit drive: D. on Windows 7 Pro with IE9

I tried Step by Step Instructions to Install

I tried Unzipping the Downloaded File and Double Clicking Install TomTom Flash Tool also, with no Luck, Still won't install!

I have a Reset Button on the Bottom of my Unit, I pressed the Reset Button and all I get is the Black Screen with Info and Credits about my Unit in White Lettering.

Here is what it says after Reset Button pressed:

TomTom One (TM) (c) TomTom 2003-2010 Build -N/A-

Hardware Type: TomTom XL

SubID (Feature) 0 1: 00 (0000000D0000000)

Bootloader version: S5.5274 clist#540743 RUCT

Checksum: 5D04

Memory: 64 MB Type: MDDR

CPU ID: 32450003

Clocks: 264.0 132.0 66.0

GPS type: GL2 BCM4750 FFFF

TFT Type: Samsung LMS430HF29 26

Internal FLASH capacity: 1953792 KB

MMC NAND version (PRV): 12 48.0 MHz 4 B Samsung

Startup Mode: Sleep

Device ID: GJ2430B10147

Touchscreen calib. data: 212 826 325 660 @3300mV

Sector protection: Yes

Battery boot voltage: 5000 mV 0x036E 0x0300

RTC: 14:50:28 09/09/2012

Any More Ideas would be Appreciated?

Message 24 of 39 (5,423 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
WeatherWiFi

I'm so fed-up with this TomTom XL335, I'm just about ready to take a Sledge hammer to it and go buy a GARMIN!

Works Great one day, the next day it doesn't!

I guess 1 Year is it's Total Life Span! Which SUCKS!

My last TomTom before I upgraded to this one lasted me 7 Years, and it had a Memory Card that you can pull anytime and exchange out.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciated it! WE TRIED!

NOTE: My unit XL335, was being used 16 hrs a Day, everyday for 1 Year. It stayed on it's mount, in my vehicle and was never removed 99% of the time, only once for an updated Map, which was no problem connecting, backup and upgrades. It shut down 2 weeks ago and has never worked since! TomTom Models today must be Junk, their nothing like the Models made 8 years ago. External Memory cards were the Best and better than these onboard internal Memory cards that can't be removed or replaced.

I'm just Frustrated with TomTom, I have to tell someone!

Message 25 of 39 (5,421 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Jason75

Aside from having a bad USB cord, or a faulty USB port, sounds like the unit's HDD has gone south. You have done all that I can see you should try to do. You obviously cannot back up your unit if you can't access the hard drive to copy the files. Buy a working unit with a cracked screen, swap it out, and you'll be good to go. The only tools you will need is either a T4 or T5 torx screwdriver to remove the two screws under the label across the unit's underside, and guitar pick to ease the faceplate away from the body.. Gently pry the faceplate off and the screen should tip forward from top to bottom. You will see the video cable attached to the motherboard with a white clip on a dark connector. Side the white locking clip forward about 1/32 of an inch. The cable will release. Reverse the process to assemble and you will be back in bidness. Takes under a minute if you know your way around. Probably five -10 minutes max if you don't.

Message 26 of 39 (5,398 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
sunderland17

Brilliant, thanks for that

Message 27 of 39 (5,280 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
jason34sd

wow I have a tomtom xl live and after reading your posts I have to say its exactly what happened to me and same results. im a taxi driver so it was used daily and i only updated it 1 time. 2 days later RED X and computer wont recognise it anymore. wtf tomtom? yup its hammer time!

Message 28 of 39 (5,060 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
hywelt

As with everyone else, I plugged my 540 in and it went to install the new version which promptly froze on the lauch screen. I uninstalled the old version then downloaded the current version from the website - same result. This happens every few years, TomTom, we're not all tech freaks - what's the answer? You really have to sort yourself cos I for one are sick of it.

Message 29 of 39 (5,051 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
gloriajean

can anyone tell me where the power button is to turn my tomtomxl on??

Message 30 of 39 (5,038 Views)
Please use plain text.