New Traveler
Moonmaedyn

Re: MY TOMTOM XL WON'T SWITCH ON

Mine is doing the same thing...I turn it on and you can hear the "TOMTOM" music, but the screen won't light up. I know the screen does NOT have issues, as when this happened, I connected it to the computer and the screen came on and I was asked if I wanted to connect to the computer. I tried the "reset" thing and still do not get a picture on the screen. I have had this unit less than a year. Should I return it to TOMTOM or what? Most annoying to have it just go kaput like this...

Message 11 of 39 (7,720 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Predtor_XL350TM

if after soft or hard reset device doesnt work, seems that next step is to contact tomtom representative..

VIA 1535TM Navigator: BM22xxxxxx02 (23.8)
(On PC) MyTomTom Version = 3.2.0.1220
(On Device) Memory Used 3493.37MB Available 231.89MB
(On Device) Map Version: USA_ Canada_and_México Versión: v915.5123
(On Device) Apl. 12.065.1252068.84 SO:1229603
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Android (HTC EVO 3D PG8600):
TOMTOM Mexico 1.1.1.

Nota: Yo hablo y escribo en Español tambien
Message 12 of 39 (7,717 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Sus22

I have a TomTom One and it is playing up, wont switch on, then does switch oh when it feels like it.  Tried reset, still wont do anything, only first screen appears.

Trying to get it attached to computer, "does not recognise device" - new USB cable never been used.

Message 13 of 39 (7,576 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

What PC application are you using to connect your tomtom to your PC?  It should be the Tomtom Home v2.9.1  You can down load it here.

You can download TomTom Home here http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=16&tab=87&Lid=1

Message 14 of 39 (7,569 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
WeatherWiFi

My XL335 only Flashes a Red X when turned on, just started this today, just a Flashing Red X!

Yesterday worked Great, Today its a Piece of Junk!

Won't Reset after Pressing the Reset Button!

Won't Connect to PC or TomTomHome!

Can't get any immediate Help from anyone at TomTom!

My XL335 is just over 1 year old, I guess 1 year is its total life span.

My XL335 is used everyday, on all the time, only shutdown when I park the truck. This morning I was looking into a new Garmin GPS, because I can't find a fix for the TomTom! My Unit has been sitting here flashing Red X for hours off charge, battery still not dead.

Any Help would be appreciated!

Indiana Severe Weather Intercept Team
Message 15 of 39 (7,564 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

[ Edited ]

Does your PC recognize the connection to your PC at all?  Does it show up as a drive in windows explorer so that you can then run a chkdsk on it?

See if this link will help you get your device connected to your PC http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7394/kw/red%20x

and this link might help you get rid if the red x  http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2053/kw/red%20x

Message 16 of 39 (7,563 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
WeatherWiFi

XL335 - I decided to get off the Laptop with Win 7 Pro, I installed TomTomHOME to my Windows XP Pro Desktop. I turned on my XL335 and plugged the Data cable to the PC and XL335. My Desktop Found New Hardware as an External Storage Device and asked me to Format Drive D: Message Popup. My TomTomHOME says Device Not Connected. My XL335 Unit is still Flashing the Red X Screen.

1. Press On

2. Flashing Red X Screen

3. Download/Install TomTom HOME to Windows 7 Laptop and Windows XP Desktop

4. Found New Hardware as a Storage Device, Please Format Drive D: Message appears

5. TomTomHOME Device Not Connected

6. Still Flashing Red X Screen

Indiana Severe Weather Intercept Team
Message 17 of 39 (7,557 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
tomdodds1

My TOMTOM XXL wont start, the green charging light has been on i have pressed the button for 20 seconds, plugged into my computer and still nothing please help!

Message 18 of 39 (7,483 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
mart2008

I had the same problem with my Go710 and came across a helpfull hint that sorted mine out. Although you place the unit onto the dock to charge it and the light comes on, it does'nt necessarily mean that the unit is charging. If you apply some pressure to the unit to hold it down onto the dock/charger, then try and switch it on, it should work. Try it, it might sort your's out as it did mine. 

Message 19 of 39 (7,465 Views)
Please use plain text.
Legendary Explorer
Jason75

In my computer, can you right click on the icon that represents the external storage device and hit explore. That should get you inside the storage drive so you can get a look at what is there. If you can see maps and such, make a complete copy of the drive in explorer. If you can effect a copy, all is not lost. I would run a chkdsk command on the GPS to test for and correct any file corruption. If I tried to reboot - I would recommend holding the start button down for up to 30 second. You may get a diagnostic screen or a plain yellow green colored screen.

In about 50-70 percent of these flashing red x cases, it is the result of a corrupted Navcore (which is the OS for the GPS).The x is telling you the GPS cant find the OS. If you can check for errors and or copy file, you can likely save it

But I have seen more and more of the hard drives in these units going south. That also gives you the flashing red X because the end result is the same, you just took a slightly different route to get there. I gave this advice to another poster. The most expensive component in your used unit is your screen (it worth about $30.)  Buy a used one matching your specs (and which will boot up) with a broken screen off ebay.  Transfer your screen to that unit and you are back in business for not much money. $5-$10 at the most. Takes about 10 minutes and its intuitive.

I would follow the advice of the mods here who favor testing all of the avenues before you throw in the towel.

Message 20 of 39 (7,432 Views)
Please use plain text.