Novice Explorer
kalj

Re: LifeTime FREE Map Update Promo Code

I bought three Tom Tom XLs for Christmas last year and never connected online to get the free lifetime map updates that the box claimed you would get, when I finally needed to update the maps I found out that you have to pay for updates, when I called Tom Tom to see what I needed to do to get the free lifetime map updates that were advertised by them, Silvia At Tom Tom said I needed the box which I'm sure I dont have anymore, (BAD ADVERTISEMENT ON THE BOX)  it should have been clearer, don't promise free lifetime map updates if you need a special box code to get the update, it should be on the device itself, My Garmin device has a much beeter map and it worked right out the box, it finds streets that none of the Tom Toms can find, I will never by a Tom Tom again, very unhappy

Message 11 of 37 (17,420 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

Well you don't need to keep the box, just the activation code that was on a card marked in large red letters "IMPORTANT - DO NOT DISCARD YOU WILL NEED THIS VOUCHER CODE IN ORDER TO ENABLE YOUR LIFETIME MAPS SUBSCRIPTION"  It was laying on top of the gps's when you opened  each of the three boxes.... You have to phyically pick it up to get to the gps. However Tomtom is willing to activate the subscription if you can prove that you actually got a model with lifetime maps (ie you have the box ). Vendors have been known to advertise lifetime maps but ship units that don't come with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOigi6ExKm8

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 12 of 37 (17,417 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
kalj

Unfortunitely, I missed the label you are talking about and didnt read the manual deep enough to catch the fact that you had to activate the advertised free map update by typing in some promotional code, I just thought it would automatically come with the unit that was in the advertised box, I bought the units from Traget.  The map that is in the unit cannot find many street addresses which is frustrating, I got it last Christmas and I have an older Garmin that finds the addresses everytime, so Tom Tom must have put a pretty old map in the units I bought.  if I am lucky I will be able to find the all important boxes/label in my garage if they didnt get thrown out.

Message 13 of 37 (17,395 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

You can report map errors via TomTom's mapshare web site at:

http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

They should show up eventually via a mapshare update.

Message 14 of 37 (17,392 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
flowergarden

I talked to someone in support.  They told me that I have to have a separate email account for each device I have.  Our newer one took on our old device's info.  Then they said I had to email support to make a complaint since I am unhappy about paying for lifetime maps, not being able to get them, and for not being told that if I didn't use another email account everything would get messed up.  They emailed to send a copy of my receipt and serial number but then they didn't like the format I used to send the copy.  They wanted it in a different format.  I did that but never heard back from them.  I just emailed them again for a second attempt.

Message 15 of 37 (17,373 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
rivieracoleman

to home it may concern i would love to be apart of thi promo for free maps update with tomtom home

Message 16 of 37 (17,246 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

Are you having a problem entering the promo code into home? If you are, is there an error message....

Message 17 of 37 (17,243 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

Rivieracoleman; you must have a model that offers that, such as mine, which is a XXL540 TM. The "M" in the model number means you get lifetime map upgrades. That is the only way to get free lifetime map upgrades (not totally free since you probably pay a little more for those models).

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 18 of 37 (17,239 Views)
Please use plain text.
Revered Voyager
sallor225

kalj, which model do you have?

Help others identify useful content:
- Did someone answer your question? Click Accept as Solution
- Did someone post something helpful? Click the kudos star .....

TomTom XXL 540TM Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN traffic
Message 19 of 37 (17,238 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
kalj

I have to XL540M but do not have the promotion code, box the unit came in, or the receipt any more since it was purchased a year ago.  When I spoke with Tom Tom they said the only way I can get the free map update offer is if I had one of the above.  They said they sold some of these modeled units without the free map update offer so you """Cannot"""" Go by the model number.  Basically I am just going to have to replace this unit with a Garmin since their maps find more streets then my Tom Tom does.  I am not going to purchase a map from Tom Tom since I was supposed to get them free but unfortunately I did not look closer at the paperwork that came with the unit to notice the requirement to enter a promotion code .

Message 20 of 37 (17,232 Views)
Please use plain text.