Supreme Navigator
robcarberry
Accepted Solution

Home2.9.1 hangs Not Responding

[ Edited ]

Just did the mandatory update of Home 2.9.1 and can not get it to load.  The screen show and hour glass and taskmanager shows it as not responding.  I have been messing with this all day.  I have uninstalled it 5 times.  Even used revo to uninstall.  Deleted all the TomTom folders from documents and settings.  Still nothing.  I'm running Windows XP Pro.  Doesn't make a difference if my TomTom is connected or not.  Same result.  Sometimes it is just a blank screen that never responds.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 12 (1,757 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

Re: Home2.9.1 hangs Not Responding

Just to continue.  I downloaded the previous 2.9.0 version of Home.  It installs and loads properly and finds my device.  It is trying to force me into the 2.9.1 upgrade.  I'm just leaving the dialog open and trying to function without doing the upgrade.  It appears that the device updates feature isn't working.  My guess is it will only work with 2.9.1 now?  I'm really at a loss.  I'm getting ready for an out of state trip and really wanted to make sure my XXL TM is updated.  Please help?  Anyone?

Message 2 of 12 (1,750 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Do you have net framework installed on your computer? Get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 3 of 12 (1,735 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

I'll download and install it now.  I'll report back after,

Message 4 of 12 (1,730 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

Unfortunately this made no difference.  After I installed .NET 4 I also did the windows update as it had 3 other updates related to .NET 4 framework.  Those made no difference either.  I get the splash screen then the Home2 window displays and it just does the "Not Responding".  Actually it shows two Home2 windows Not Responding.  It looks like from Taskmanager it is running HomeRuntime, and HomeRunner and both are Not Responding.  Any other suggestions?

Message 5 of 12 (1,727 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

My problem is now solved.  You will have to forgive this lengthy post I'm about to type.  I just want to share what I went through to get here.  I'm still not sure why what I did resolved it but It is resolved.

Nothing earlier from this thread seemed to work.  I tried again to uninstall completely and re-install since I added the .NET 4 install but even that didn't work.  It launched Home and just stopped responding again.  I even let it sit for an hour.  Still nothing.

It started me thinking that it almost seemed like it was trying to retrieve info from the internet.  I kept watching network traffic even though I wasn't doing anything.  So it made me think maybe this could be causing my trouble.  I have experienced something similar with a new install of another program not related to TomTom before.  

So I used taskmanager to kill tomtomhomerunner, tomtomhomeruntime, and tomtomhomeservice again.  I then turned off my wireless network connection so I was no longer connected to the internet.  I then launched Home2.  I was amazed.  It immediately opened and looked normal.  I was able to click on menu items like preferences and everything responded.  I then received an error message that Home could not connect to the TomTom network.  I just hit OK and ignored.  I then connected my TomTom device and everything connected okay.  I got the same network connection error and again just hit okay and ignored.  I then clicked on "login" and because I wasn't able to connect to the tomtom servers I couldn't go any further.  I then just enabled my wireless network and wait to be connected to the internet.  I then resumed login and everything continued to work.  It performed the normal device update items and continued to work as expected.

I disconnected and have rebooted several times and can launch Home2 with out any troubles.  So it seems that what ever was going on just needed to get through  all the initial steps for the first time and now no longer try's to do what ever it was hanging up on.

I've read some other threads that people believe this new update 2.9.1 is bad.  Perhaps if they read this they might have the same success I have.

Message 6 of 12 (1,724 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Offcourse

Robcarberry, thanks for sharing this. Unfortunately it did not work for me. TT Home 2 does not appear at all, or when it does, is frightfully slow. It also reports, just like the icon in the system tray, that no device is connected, although the device itself looks connected. This problem has cost me precious time on my day off from work. Now I am fed up and can only hope that 2.9.2 will come out soon, and that we will hear about it.

Message 7 of 12 (1,599 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

Were you able to verify that you truly were no longer connected to any network?  Opening a web browser and not getting any web page to load would confirm it.  I struggled with this for hours.  The above steps were the only thing that solved it for me and has been working flawlessly ever since.

Good luck.

Message 8 of 12 (1,592 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
Offcourse

Yes, I just tried the whole procedure again. The splash screen of TT Home appeared and stayed there for quite a while, then disappeared and nothing happened after that. The application apparently crashed, as the task manager only showed the tray application and the runtime as running at that time. And yes, I did cancel all processes, to begin with. But the good news is, that when I reconnected to the internet and started TT Home again, things suddenly started to work. Maybe that's what you meant. 

Message 9 of 12 (1,584 Views)
Please use plain text.
Supreme Navigator
robcarberry

Interesting.  Well that's not exactly how it worked for me but it does seem like the right path.  Something must be happening with TT Home while not connected to a network that resolves it or changes something that then allows it to work the next time.  I'm really glad you got it working again.  I'm still chalking it up to one of the strangest things I've ever seen happen.  

Message 10 of 12 (1,571 Views)
Please use plain text.