jcr
Novice Explorer
jcr

Finding my specific model by serial number?

I have a TomTom XL, but am uncertain which XL. The question "Which TomTom do I have?" asks for the first two characters of my serial number. I would greatly appreciate some documentation on the format of the serial number, since whatever I put in returns "The number you entered is not a valid TomTom serial number. Check the serial number on your device and enter it again." Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 12 (33,576 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
TinaC

Re: Finding my specific model by serial number?

well if you look at the bottom of your unit you will see c_no: the next two letters identifies the model.

what are those two letters?

“I work for TomTom but the views expressed here are my own.”
Message 2 of 12 (33,569 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
louisatomtom

Had similar problem with new VIA 180.The number is on a sticker, under the plug-in aea, in the tinsiest tiny writing. I have now written the number is bigger writing, and stuck in onto the front, but I will say that the nstill cvery confusing site, seems to know what my numbers are, just by being plugged in. I do think the serial number ciuld be in much bigger print in a much more oibvious place on the machine. Lu

Message 3 of 12 (33,564 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
h2osxx

I have an XL TomTom, 2 mos. old, can't find modell number anywhere, how crazy is this?  Please advise.....

Message 4 of 12 (32,748 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
jbourne

TinaC wrote:

well if you look at the bottom of your unit you will see c_no: the next two letters identifies the model.

what are those two letters?

I had a TomTom GO 2535 TM WTE whose serial number started with SM.

It was replaced under RMA, but they sent me a device with serial number starting with SN.  This device does not take advantage of my RDS traffic receiver and has only the USA_Canada_Mexico map, not the European one as well like the 2535 TM WTE.

Any idea where I can find out what model number the SN is?

----------------------------------------------------------
TomTom GO 2535TM WTE (2011-Present)
TomTom GO 920 (2008-2011)
Message 5 of 12 (31,207 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

You can use this link and enter the first two letters of your serial number to find the model.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/kw/model%20numer

But you need to call them up because the model you have now has 4gb of memory and

the model you sent them has 8Gb.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 6 of 12 (31,203 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
jbourne

Traylaw wrote:

You can use this link and enter the first two letters of your serial number to find the model.

http://us.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9521/kw/model%20numer

But you need to call them up because the model you have now has 4gb of memory and

the model you sent them has 8Gb.

Thanks for the link!  

I've already contacted TomTom Support to let them know about their gaffe; I haven't checked the capacity of my device via MyTomTom yet but the packing slip said this was an 8GB model; serial number says 4GB though as you mentioned.  Thanks for the help :smileytongue:

----------------------------------------------------------
TomTom GO 2535TM WTE (2011-Present)
TomTom GO 920 (2008-2011)
Message 7 of 12 (31,196 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
herbertbatson

I just read that someone was trying to identify their tom tom model # by locating their serial # on the device and entering it in a model# identification screen.  They couldn't find the product serial# because it was not in the place the instructions said it was and besides that it was hidden underneath the plugin adapter piece.   Then he said the first two numbers were not accepted.

The reality of the problem is that the serial # is so small and the instructions so vague that you miss the instructions telling you to enter the first two CHARACTERS of the serial number but they were so small you missed the fact that they were characters.  this caused me better than an hour to remedy because my serial# was so small that I didn't see that the first two CHARACTERS were a BO instead of an 80 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Amen to this problem brother and may the technical writers find an answer to this problem  SOON!!!!!!!!! 

I just resd someone wa trying to identify their model # by locatui

Message 8 of 12 (18,611 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Tierra

my c_no  is GT, but doesnt pop up what model i am online...

help?

Message 9 of 12 (14,784 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

If the device serial number starts with GT, that model = Start 40 / Start 45 - 2GB

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 10 of 12 (14,778 Views)
Please use plain text.