New Traveler
allin1joe
Accepted Solution

Device not connected

[ Edited ]

I am connecting my TomTom XL device to my computer.  When I do so, I get the window that says "picture options" and asks if I want to import pictures etc (the same window that pops up when you insert a DVD that has picture files).  It's treating the TomTom like an external drive.  My TomTom shows "Device not connected" and the device never asked me if I wanted to connect ot the computer.

I am using Windows 7 32-bit.

Thanks

Joe

Message 1 of 52 (6,498 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: Device not connected

If you have that model, you should be using Home 2, not MyTomTom as the interface.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 52 (6,489 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
bob57

I too have a device that does not connect to my laptops (2) I have deleted my tomtom home page for my original device from one laptop but still shows "device not connected" why ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Message 3 of 52 (6,060 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
surveyor860

Hi bob57

What TomTom device do you have and are you trying to use My TomTom or TomTom Home as the interface between laptop and TT device? The older TT devices such as Go750 and XL use TTHome and the newer Go 1000 Live use MyTomTom. Download the correct software and reinstall it and you should connect.

Regards

Surveyor860

The importance of a back up can never be under estimated. If you back up - you can recover!
Message 4 of 52 (6,055 Views)
Please use plain text.
ht
New Traveler
ht

I have TT home 2.8 and says device is not connected and nothing comes up onscreen to ask if I want to connect to computer. I have tried 3 different ports on laptop and even reeset device.  Device is TT 350XL TM

Message 5 of 52 (6,012 Views)
Please use plain text.
GBJ
Novice Explorer
GBJ

I too have a similar problem -  downloaded TThome 2  with my Go910 connected and now the device appears dead. Device fully charged, tried reset but device not recognised on any USB port. Need my TT desperately please help  !

Message 6 of 52 (6,003 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
surveyor860

Hi GBJ & ht

Have you both tried following all the advice in the support pages at his link: http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7375 

When ever posting it is always useful if you state what model of navigation device you have, your PC/Laptop operating system and the TT Home / My TomTom version.

Uninstall TT Home using the Uninstall TTHome software that should be in the TomTom folder under Programmes. Ensure that you remove all traces of TT home. If you have a registry cleaner then clean the registry (do NOT be tempted to download "FREE" registry cleaners - this is the fastest way known to man of getting spyware and viruses!)

Redownload TT home. Save the software rather than installing directly, then install TTHome. This will ensure that the software has not got corrupted during install.

A few basics:

Use a USB port in the back of your PC rather than on a peripheral such as screen or keyboard.

connect your device with the USB cable then turn it on.

The request to connect to the computer is on the screen of your TomTom not the computer.

One thing to check is if you can see your device connected as a separate drive under "Computer" in the navigation pane of windows explorer. If you cannot then follow the advice in the link above for device not recognised by computer.

I hope this helps. It did for me on my old Go.

Regards

Surveyor860

The importance of a back up can never be under estimated. If you back up - you can recover!
Message 7 of 52 (5,973 Views)
Please use plain text.
Stefan
Kudos: 1,043
Solutions: 222

In addition verify that your device is activated in the computer management screen.

Go to the configuration screen - (system and security - device management).

Message 8 of 52 (5,970 Views)
Please use plain text.
GBJ
Novice Explorer
GBJ

Thank you for your sound advice. Problem fixed by removing Home and then first saving download followed by an install. Computer identified corrupted files which have been fixed. Lesson : with Home download SAVE before INSTALL 

GBJ

Message 9 of 52 (5,958 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Wayfarer
surveyor860

GBJ - Excellent and  I am glad you are now up and running. Just remember to make a back up before you do any updates.

If you feel able to award me some Kudos (by clicking on the star) that always goes down well!

Enjoy your TomTom.

Regards

Surveyor860

Message 10 of 52 (5,947 Views)
Please use plain text.