Neophyte Traveler
clinka

BROKEN SCREEN

[ Edited ]

HI, I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT OF ITS POSSIBLE TO GET THE SCREEN REPAIRED ON MY TOMTOM XL LIVE IQ ROUTES?  I HAVE BEEN HOLDING ON THE PHONE FOR 35 MINUTES WITH NO ANSWER!!  ANY IDEAS ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF REPAIR AND OF COURSE HOW MUCH.  I HAVE THE OPTION TO HAVE THE DEVICE REPLACED THROUGH MY HOUSE INSURANCE, BUT WOULD THEN NEED TO KNOW IF MY SUBSCRIPTION COULD BE TRANSFERRED TO THE NEW DEVICE. 

ANY ADVICE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

THANKYOU

Message 1 of 18 (7,873 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
Shand359

Re: BROKEN SCREE

I have just sent my XL back with the exact same issue...... Got a repair quote back for 85EURO........ When you click the link to pay it works this out around the £56 mark...... 5 - 10 days for repair I have been quoted........

Message 2 of 18 (7,858 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
clinka

Re: BROKEN SCREE

Thankyou - I appreciate your response.

How do you go about arranging a repair?  I was on the phone for over an hour yesterday, kept being told by robot that I am in the top 5 calls to be answered next.  In the end phone went dead!

I have also tried emailing through this website with no luck - error on page is all I keep getting.

Message 3 of 18 (7,822 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
dazza24

Re: BROKEN SCREEN

Hi  might be worth a Google search,there's a lot of company's based around the country where you can take your  pnd for repair.www.tomtomrepairs.co.uk is one .never used them myself but might be worth a try,IM sure there will be one not far from you as repairing tomtom units must be big business as there's a lot of breakdowns going on with units and like myself a lot of people wont use tomtom no help

good luck

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1st go live 1000 (dead)
second go live 1000 (dead)
current go live 550 alive and doing what the 1xxx/2xxx/ vias should be doing
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 18 (7,764 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
clinka

I checked out a repair shop and found teh cost of repairs is the same as purchaisng a new unit!  Looks like an insurance claim then.

Still - have to say very disappointed with Tom Tom.  Still can't get hold of them to answer question about moving subsciption to a new unit.  If this forum is visited by staff of Tom Tom - how about an answer to my question as you don't want to answer the telephones or respond to emails.  Very poor customer service!!

Message 5 of 18 (7,703 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

To transfer your subscription should be very simple. If you are using TomTom Home to keep your device up to date, with an account identified by an e-mail address and password, all you have to do is connect your new device in the same way as you would do with your old device. A message will pop up informing you that this is not the device associated with that account. If you follow the prompts, it will then associate the new device with your account information, including any subscription services you may have.

Please note, you can only do this so easily once in any six months period. After that, should you need to change your account for a third or subsequent device, TomTom customer service would have to make the change for you. At least, that's the way it works in the U.S.A.

On a side note: I'm not at all surprised that the repair would cost as much as a new unit. In fact, I recently tried to repair a faulty 500GB external hard drive, with a damaged power supply. The original supplier actually wanted to charge me more than the price of a new 1TB external hard drive. They wouldn't even agree to just send me the power supply - and I was perfectly willing to pay for it (including shipping)! Basically, anything electronic these days that costs $250 or less isn't worth the shipping costs in both directions, the parts, and the technician's time to repair. It's disappointing, and doesn't seem right somehow, but this is far from being unique to TomTom.

Best of luck with the change in any case, and good luck with the insurance claim. My insurance wouldn't even cover that, so you must have much better coverage than I do (and it would probably just mean an increase in my rates the following year anyway).

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 6 of 18 (7,680 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
BHNOMORE

My 4 month old VIA 1535 has a problem with the Suction attachment having the strength to hold the unit to the window. Saturday it fell while I was driving down the interstate and the screen broke. After 45 minutes of holding and speaking to a representative and a supervisor their policy does not allow them to warranty the product. They also have said they do not have a shop to offer any repairs.

Any thoughts? The customer service seems very poor, particularly since I have been a loyal customer having had 2 other units from TomTom in the past.

Message 7 of 18 (6,645 Views)
Please use plain text.
Traylaw

[ Edited ]

The reason they do not replace screens on units that are not under warranty is that the cost to you is more than buying a new unit. The screen is the most expensive part of a gps.

However if you are a little handy you can replace the screen yourself.   Here is a video which shows how to open the case and replace a battery. To replace the display you do not need to remove the circuit board.  Just disconnect the ribbon cable from the circuit board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdenCZVWneE

On the back of the display there is a label with the part number. It may be under a white plastic sheet used to insulate the back of the display from the circuit board.  This sheet will have to be transfered to the replacement screen.  Once you have the part number you can search the internet and ebay for a replacement.  I am not sure the cost for a via screen but it will probaby be greater then $60 us.

When you remove the ribbon cable from the circut board do not just pull on it until it comes out. There is a clamp on the connector which must be slid forward about 1/16 of and inch which will release the cable. The cable will then pull out of the the connector with zero force.

Report map errors at http://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Message 8 of 18 (6,639 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
BHNOMORE

The part twhich broke appears to be just the glass over the screen. Do you know if this is replaceable separately than the screen?

Message 9 of 18 (6,576 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Jarred

Yes, they can be replaced. There are multiple sellers available on ebay. The entrie digitizer/lcd assembly is about $40US. The digitizer (glass) alone is about $10-$12 US. It is recommended but not required you replace both. Some sellers also suppliy the few tools you will need as a kit. There are instructional videos on Youtube.

Message 10 of 18 (6,573 Views)
Please use plain text.