Novice Explorer
djames
Accepted Solution

540s.....Altitude???

I guess no question is a dumb one???.............I have had my tomtom for a week and am still discovering new things to do, and ways to use it..........I live in Colorado and am always wondering about elevation ........

With all that this gps does.............it doesn't measure altitude???...................ooooorrrrrr.......does it...........

i did a search here and found nothing............and out on the web, i found all sorts of differing opinions........

does anyone know for sure................??

Message 1 of 44 (3,393 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
frankdenver

Re: 540s.....Altitude???

It's been some time since I've done this:

Go to:

http://gps.dg4sfw.de/

Choose "Understood".

Download the height file and follow the directions EXPLICTLY.

Seems I had a problem putting the files in their proper folders on the TT, but you should be able to get help from the forums.

Once it's set up, it works like a charm. We were in Nederland (above Boulder) last weekend; the altitude was within 30 feet or closer.

Check your current altitude with Google Earth, then remember to edit the .cfg file to correct the proper Day and Night numbers.

It works with the One and 530 XXL; should work with yours.

Good luck.

FrankG

Frank G
530XXL Lifetime Maps and Traffic
2003 PT Cruiser
1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Message 2 of 44 (3,388 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
frankdenver

A followup on the above:

A forum search shows the following:

Here's what he says: (he being Jogurt, the programmer)

Just extract the package, extract the "cab"-file in it and throw the file and the directory in it onto your TT, root (topmost) directory.

What that *means* is:
* Unzip the .zip file, somewhere on your PC. It contains a .cab file and a .toc file. (I don't know what the .toc file is -- I eventually ignored it.)
* Now, unzip the .cab file! I remember (now) that I missed that step too, and wondered why nothing happened when I copied it to my unit.
* When you unzip the .cab file, you'll find a file called "ttn", and a "Height" directory with a couple of files in it: height.cfg and height.so.
* Those are the things you copy to your unit. Put "ttn" in the root, and copy the "Height" directory and files to a "Height" directory on the unit.

Then (and only then) can you edit the cfg file to type in your day and night numbers. Here is also where you add (or subtract) from the indicated altitude to correct.

Frank G
530XXL Lifetime Maps and Traffic
2003 PT Cruiser
1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Message 3 of 44 (3,381 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
djames

Thanks a lot frank........that sounds like a deal to try......I may wait to see if a moderator chimes in on this one..........after reading thru these forums, it sounds to me like these [tomtoms] are a little on the fragile side when it comes to communicating with their own downloads, let alone someone else's..........:smileyhappy:...........Mine is doing a great job right now and I have learned not to "fix" unless broken.............I think I may be able to buy an altimeter for under 50 bucks......

Message 4 of 44 (3,355 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Joghurt

After getting a how-do-I-install-it-mail every once a week or so (and to be prepared for when they "open" the 100x-devices for 3rd-party-plugins) I changed the installation process and made it a lot easier. No more downloading and unpacking and moving stuff. :smileyhappy:

Just connect your TomTom to your computer, wait 'till that orange/white screen comes up, then visit my webiste http://gps.dg4sfw.de/?height (you will need to allow your browser to execute my installation applet on the first time) and click the big "install/uninstall"-button.
It will then search for your TomTom and should display its serial number (and type, if not a 100x) and you can select "install". If it can't find your TomTom on the frist try, try "search".

If you then click "install" it will install my Height-plugin onto your TomTom.

After it is done, wait five seconds then disconnect your TomTom safely (on Windows use the little green remove-hardware-safely-arrow in your tray on the bottom right, next to your clock).

By the way: If you want to remove the plugin do everything the same way but instead of "install" there will be an "uninstall"-button.

If your then disconnect your USB-cable your TomTom should boot and you should see your height in the upper left corner of your navigation screen if your TomTom can determine it's position (e.g. you're outside and it sees satellites or so).

Have fun! :smileyhappy:

Oh, and if you don't like the position of the plugin on your navigation screen or its size or want to switch to "feet" instead of "meters" or you need to add a correction value (some GPS-chip-families are a bunch of meters off, in Europe that's about -48 meters) you can do that by editing the file "height.cfg" in the "Height"-directory on your TomTom using a normal text-editor.
Message 5 of 44 (3,276 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Hey Joghurt!

Do you mind visiting tomtomforums.com and posting there the same as here. Many folks will appreciate it.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 6 of 44 (3,270 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Joghurt

Done.
Message 7 of 44 (3,268 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
Joghurt

Oh, and please be aware that this is NOT a tool made by TomTom but by me as a sole fan of their stuff, so PLEASE DO NOT bother them with support questions!
Message 8 of 44 (3,262 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Kenneth

This looks like a great plugin - thanks for sharing.  :smileyhappy:

Message 9 of 44 (3,247 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Explorer
frankdenver

Thanks, Joghurt!