Master Traveler
Hognuts

voltage

TomTom XL350M, what is the voltage of the internal battery? Instead of plugging in the "charging" unit into the lighter outlet on my motorcycle I would like to cut the wire and connect it directly to a 12 volt accessory connector under the fairing of the bike. Does the "charging" unit actually charge the battery and the TomTom runs off the battery power or does the 12 volt supply used directly by the TomTom unit? I don't know if I am making myself clear. If I do not use the "charger" and wire the TomTom directly to 12 volts will it fry the TomTom unit?

Hognuts
Message 1 of 4 (2,919 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

Re: voltage

[ Edited ]

You should be able to check the specifications on the vehicle adapter supplied with the unit. This varies from one unit to another, although probably not for different units of the same series (XL, for example).

My two XL adapters (one LIVE unit, one TM unit) show the following, if it helps:

- Input 12/24V, output 5V 1.2A, fuse 250V/1A.

- Input 12/24V 1A, output 5V 1.2A, fuse 250V/1.6A.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 2 of 4 (2,898 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
Hognuts

Thanks Kex, output 5V tells me everything, can't hard wire it directly to 12V. I never looked at the charger only at the unit and could not find what you found for me. I was too stupid to look at the charger. I'll have to wire it with a charger in place. Again, thanks.

Hognuts
Message 3 of 4 (2,883 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Exalted Navigator
Kex

You're welcome Hognuts! I've seen "in line" lighter type sockets before (on a wire, not fixed in the dash), and you seem to know what you're doing, so I'm sure you'll find a solution where you can still hide your wiring neatly.

______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ ______ _____ ______ ______
TomTom XL 340S LIVE & XL 340TM (RDS-TMC) & GO LIVE 2535M - in daily L.A. Traffic
Message 4 of 4 (2,879 Views)
Please use plain text.