Novice Explorer
gekeha

disable stolen tomtom

Hi,

My tomtom was stolen.  How can disable the account/device?

Thanks

Message 1 of 72 (16,768 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 42

Re: disable stolen tomtom

You can change your password or ask the support to delete your account but unfortunately you can not disable your device.

Neophyte Traveler
videojc

My go 930 was left in a rental ca and was not in the Avis lost and found. Some lucky dishonest Avis employee is now using my tomtom. Since it is obviously by design and function totally traceable, can Tom Tom locate my GPS and recover it for me....or at least, tell me what the new "home" address is? If not....this would be a great service for tom tom to add....stolen .device location and recovery. I wold even pay a reward to get it back. Thanks for your time.

Message 3 of 72 (16,666 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Don't believe all the junk you see on TV shows. Your gps unit is a RECEIVER, not a SENDER of a signal. It can't be traced.

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 4 of 72 (16,660 Views)
Please use plain text.
Outstanding Explorer
Bananahead

dhn wrote:

Don't believe all the junk you see on TV shows. Your gps unit is a RECEIVER, not a SENDER of a signal. It can't be traced.

Simply not true if it has a simcard

Message 5 of 72 (16,566 Views)
Please use plain text.
Bogi
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 42

But the 930 which dhn is referring to doesn't have one.

New Traveler
JonMJ

So tom tom will not back up any product they sell if its stolen? I know its not just a receiver, that is a lie. They deny this because of the fear of privacy laws. So why not just admit it and disable the units that are stolen. If you did that at least I would buy another one but at this point if you dont back your product, I no longer back you. I will no longer support tom tom and will warn others not to trust tom tom. I will be using Yahoo maps. Bad business tom tom, I wish I would have known this before I perchased it.

Message 7 of 72 (16,462 Views)
Please use plain text.
Novice Explorer
talker

First off, you need to understand how a GPS works.  A standard GPS is a passive receiver ONLY.  It transmits no information.  It does not need a  "satellite ID".   It only needs a signal from three GPS satellites to identify where it is.    There is no way to tell where a standard GPS is.  There are GPS models that do transmit signals, usually thru cell phones, but not your normal model.  But it should be possible to track a GPS when it is hooked up to a PC, to be updated, so I suppose it would be possible for TomTom to track it or disable it when plugged in, but you won't see them doing that.  It involves too many privacy issues.

Message 8 of 72 (16,420 Views)
Please use plain text.
Retired Employee
Kenneth

This is a common question.  Indeed, GPS chips do not transmit their location. 

Message 9 of 72 (16,368 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
mdinspect

Does the xl 340 tm have one? Mine was stolen a few hours ago. And I had free lifetime traffic and maps edition!

Message 10 of 72 (16,112 Views)
Please use plain text.