Neophyte Traveler
Lisasjnc

avoid motorways

I will drive anywhere as long as it isn't on a motorway (daft I know). How do I set up my tomtom to do this?

Message 1 of 5 (7,248 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,606
Solutions: 320

Re: avoid motorways

Hi there,

first of all which device do you have? Which TomTom device do I have? (hyperlink)

If there is an option for evading motorways it should be in your planning preferences. Just tap on your device's screen and enter the preferences menu. Flip through the pages until you find the planning preferences submenu. There you should be able to choose for which roads your route shall be calculated.

If there's no option for evading motorways what I suspect then you'll have no choice but to sometimes have to follow a motorway if your device is directing you to one or to not drive on the motorway and let your device calculate a new route. When selecting shortes route in your planning preferences the device usually searches routes with only few motorway sections.

You may also plan your route on your computer before starting if your device has the itinerary planning feature. There is a useful software available for that option called Tyre. It works using either Google Maps or Google Earth. So you'll be able to change your route before driving and therefore to avoid all motorways. Find more information on the software's homepage:

http://www.tyre.tk/

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 5 (7,246 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Lisasjnc

Hi Lars, first of all thank you for the speedy reply :-D I'm a bit thick when it comes to stuff like this. It is a Start - 1GB. I'm also going to have a look at the tyre link.
Lisa x
Message 3 of 5 (7,241 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Traveler
Lisasjnc

Hi, I've just been trying to download the tyre link (I've downloaded Google Earth) but it won't let me - I have an apple Macbook and it says it will only download to windows - have you another suitable link please?

Thank you Lisa x

Message 4 of 5 (7,236 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,606
Solutions: 320

Hi Lisa,

sorry, I don't know about software for a Mac. I think Tyre is developed only for Windows computers.

There is however still another possibility to change your route which I would do on my computer as well.

• Go to opereate my Start.
  • Work with it as you'd do with your device itself and plan your route. I suppose the best settings is to plan the shortest route.
  • When having your route planned go to search alternative route and select the option avoid part of the route if that is available. Then select the access to the motorway and I think it should plan a part without the motorway. Redo this with every part where you shall access a motorway.

I admit that is quite a messy method but I don't know of any better way. Maybe searching for another route planning software available for Mac will help. But therefore the software has to support to create the itn-files and send them to your device.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 5 of 5 (7,234 Views)
Please use plain text.