Prominent Wayfarer
Sally_C

What do colored roads mean?

I am in the US (Michigan), using a Mazda NB1.  I have said "yes" to Information sharing in Settings but do not have a Live subscription service.

That said, I've noticed that as I drive some roads are different colors than others and I can't find any legend for what that means.  Do I see traffic conditions with the above settings or is this something else?  

I know it's not related to any navigation route because I see it even when I don't have a route in.  A road might be white or pink - I'm not sure what all colors.

Curious if anyone can tell me if this is showing me traffic conditions, or what the different colors might mean?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 12 (547 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Re: What do colored roads mean?

Depends upon the map colour scheme chosen but a pink road often signifies a blocked or private road. Traffic congestion on a road is frequently shown with a seies of yellow dots moving on a white road. Stuff like that..

-------------------------------------------
I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 2 of 12 (544 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Sally_C

Thanks, dhn.  I haven't changed the color scheme so I have whatever is the default.   I don't think the pink could be blocked or private because I was on a main road that didn't appear blocked at any point.  I wish there were a legend - how do you learn this info?

I've been looking on TomTom's site too and it seems geared more toward non-US functionality.  For example, are LIVE services even offered in the US? When I go to their LIVE Services menu point and click on More Information everything I see is non-US  from the pricing (in Euros) to the Coverage Details (all non-US maps).   If I clcik on How To Get It and then TomTom Built-in Car Navigation I get a 404 error on this page.   

When I go to their page about my Mazda NB1 it again lists Europe maps in 45 countries. It says Three Months Free Live Services although their LIVE services page says 1 Year Free Live Services.   I'd love to try this out - but is it even available in the US? If so, how I can get my free either 3 months or 1 year trial?

I'm new to TomTom so maybe these are dumb questions. I'm just trying to figure some of these things out.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Message 3 of 12 (538 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

No, there are many confusing or simply incorrect pages on many of TomTom's sites.

Keep the 866-486-6866 (customer support) number handy. You might get lucky and get an agent who really knows his/her stuff and can answer some questions you might have............

I am a moderator at Tomtomforums.com, an independent community of Tomtom customers. .....I am not a TomTom employee.
Message 4 of 12 (534 Views)
Please use plain text.
Niall
Topics: 41
Kudos: 419
Solutions: 98

@ Sally_C

You could try here http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/products/car-navigation/built-in/

UK & IrelandUSA & CanadaAustralia & New ZealandFranceItaliaDeutschlandNederlandSouth AfricaSloveniaPolska
Device - START 20

App 12.071.1370596.84 (0) (2092, 12/09/2013) 

Map 'Europe' v940.6005 (10/2014)  

MyDriveConnect 3.3.0.1812 (09/10/2014) 

Windows 7 Home 32bit 

Firefox 29.0.1

Java SE 7 Update 71

Flash 15,0,0,239

Living in France

Losely based on Stefan's signature

Help others identify useful content :-
- If someone posted something that was helpful?
Click the Kudos button
- If someone answered your question? Click Accept as Solution

Message 5 of 12 (528 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Sally_C

Hi Niall. I've been there. That's where I pick Mazda NB1 and get the Euro-centric supported languages and maps info.

However,  I have made progress in finding a legend for the traffic info.  If you go to the online Live Traffic URL there is a Legend option.

Map_Legend.JPG

I'm not sure what the color code for 196 is in the image below.  Somewhere between Slow and Queuing?

map.JPG

Still not sure if i can get LIVE services, how much and how long a free trial would last, but at least I have a legend. :smileyhappy:

Message 6 of 12 (525 Views)
Please use plain text.
Niall
Topics: 41
Kudos: 419
Solutions: 98

Sally have a look at http://routes.tomtom.com/#/route/Vienna%252C%2520Erie%252C%2520MI%252C%2520US%254041.78708%252C-83.4...

The I-69 is in pink , and the us-24 is in brown

UK & IrelandUSA & CanadaAustralia & New ZealandFranceItaliaDeutschlandNederlandSouth AfricaSloveniaPolska
Device - START 20

App 12.071.1370596.84 (0) (2092, 12/09/2013) 

Map 'Europe' v940.6005 (10/2014)  

MyDriveConnect 3.3.0.1812 (09/10/2014) 

Windows 7 Home 32bit 

Firefox 29.0.1

Java SE 7 Update 71

Flash 15,0,0,239

Living in France

Losely based on Stefan's signature

Help others identify useful content :-
- If someone posted something that was helpful?
Click the Kudos button
- If someone answered your question? Click Accept as Solution

Message 7 of 12 (508 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Sally_C

[ Edited ]

I would agree that I-69 is pink and US-24 looks more tan than brown to me , but what's important is how do those colors compare with the legend?  I would say US-24 is showing Unknown traffic delays, and I-69 is a color not on the legend.

ColorCompare.jpg

Message 8 of 12 (504 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Sally_C

But your link does show that there are live traffic reports where I live - at least online. I'm not sure if they show up on my NB1 or not.  Guess I'll have to test that out.

Message 9 of 12 (501 Views)
Please use plain text.
Elite Voyager
Elite Voyager
dhn

Think you are confusing two things, Sally.

The colour of roads when there is traffic vs the colour of roads for normal routing.

It appears that main highways for normal routing may be in pink while state routes could be in brown.

If there is traffic on any road, then you'd be seeing an overlay of colours shown in the legend. For example, if there is slow traffic on a main highway, it would show red, not pink, for the stretch with the slow traffic.

I am not sure but I think the NA version of NB1 does NOT have Live traffic functionality.

Message 10 of 12 (499 Views)
Please use plain text.