Novice Explorer
DH7881

Samsung Galaxy S2 Android - Unable to get data connection for traffic - Help please?

Hi just renewed my traffic subscription and tried to pair up my phone and GO530 - paired ok for voice but doesn't think my phone has capability for data - LOL- Bluetooth, wireless and phone connection all available during pairing.  Can anyone help please?

Message 1 of 21 (14,931 Views)
Please use plain text.
Staff
Zoë

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Android - Unable to get data connection for traffic - Help please?

Hi DH7881

I'm sorry but the Samsung Galaxy S2 is not a compatible phone for use with our TomTom devices.

You can see a list of the compatible Samsung phones here, and the Samsung Galaxy S2 is a model GT-i9100.

http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/phones.php?brandId=7

Unfortunately if the model is not listed on our compatibility page, we cannot guarantee that it will work with your TomTom device.

Regards,

Zoe

Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
RedBren

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Android - Unable to get data connection for traffic - Help please?

I have also recently bought the SGS2 phone and found I was unable to use it to access the TomTom Plus service.  Thankfully I let my subscription to TomTom traffic lapse 3 years ago when I suffered the same problem with my iphone.

Manufactures of top-end smartphones are just not including the Bluetooth Dial-Up Networking profile anymore, possibly due to pressure from mobile operators.  Yet a quick google search for "TomTom Plus Android/iphone" brings up plenty of links to fora where owners of TomTom satnavs and smartphones are crying out for this functionality, e.g.

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/132585-bluetooth-dun-tomtom-traffic-updates.html#post1226461

http://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom-go-630-720-720t-730-730t-740-750/21443-does-tomtom-plus-service-w...

TomTom are missing a chance to sell subscriptions and services to customers like us, but worse than that, they are leaving customers with a sense of abandonment.  I don't bother buying map updates anymore and when the time comes to replace my satnav, TomTom will not be high on the list of candidates.

TomTom either need to offer a firmware update to keep up with technology or lobby the phone manufacturers to support the existing protocols.  Otherwise, they risk becoming irrelevant.

Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
iain62

I am yet another galaxy s2 owner that feels let down by tom tom & would have thought it was in their interest to keep up with the high end phones as the phone itself has A Google full gps working well from the gps satellites & updated free from Google

Message 4 of 21 (14,443 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
leon51

[ Edited ]

We are promoting office furniture online and we were wanting to provide prospective customers with Sanfrancisco android phones for bulk orders. It appears from the forum that there is some difficulty in accessing the Tom Tom facility -- is this still the case with android phones?

Mod edit: Removed advertisement link.

Message 5 of 21 (14,112 Views)
Please use plain text.
poj
Apprentice Traveler
poj

Thtas why I now longer use my tomtom any more. It would have been nice tu se both worlds but now its waze for most of my daily usage. Tomtom may sometimes be used when only going from point a to b when you are new in the area...

Message 6 of 21 (13,938 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
theotherjohn

Has tom tom still not provided updates to enable connection of the samsung galaxy s2. I have to admit I have an OLD TomTom GO700 (back from the days when they cost 100's of pounds - so I keep it) I just had to upgrade my phone as it died and now can't get traffic. I have been a regular annual subscriber to services from tom tom including map updates and traffic. If this doesn't get resolved I will just roll over and go with the all powerful google world and abandon tom tom to slowly wither on the vine...

Message 7 of 21 (12,971 Views)
Please use plain text.
poj
Apprentice Traveler
poj

I was able to connect to my TomTom 930 Go with my samsung on android 2.3.5 and even was able to make phone calls from TOMTOM via the phone. If I was just lucky I dont know but I at least made 2 calls and one connection.

Message 8 of 21 (12,963 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Traveler
theotherjohn

The 930 is "supported" - see link at begining of the trail... http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/phones.php?brandId=7&phoneId=413 <-- here again for info

Message 9 of 21 (12,955 Views)
Please use plain text.
Master Traveler
RedBren

Hi Poj.

You said you were able to make 2 calls and one connection.  Making phone calls isn't the issue, but I'd be very interested to hear how you set up a data connection.  Were you able to get traffic updates?  Please could you post some instructions?

Thanks in advance.

Message 10 of 21 (12,950 Views)
Please use plain text.