Apprentice Explorer
DaveSM
Accepted Solution

No RDS-TMC Traffic

I'm getting very frustrated with TomTom.  I have had a Via1430 for the last year.  Traffic worked up until about a month ago (right around the time my warranty expired).  Now it only works periodically.  For instance, for a 2.5 hour trip yesterday, it worked for 10 minutes.  An hour trip today, 5 minutes.  I am driving into Boston, so the signal stength should not be a problem.  Here is what I have tried:

1. Replaced the charging cable with the receiver.

2. Factory reset and updated to most recent software.

3. Manually set to the two frequencies in my area.

Nothing has helped and now the feature I purched the device for does not function.  Response from tech support (after long waits and being disconnected) was to try another car or get an amp booster for my car, even though it worked fine with this car for months.

Any ideas anyone has would be appreciated.  Otherwise, I'm going with another brand this time.  

Thanks

Message 1 of 4 (657 Views)
Please use plain text.
Exalted Navigator
Bill_Roberts

Re: No RDS-TMC Traffic

Well clearly something has changed! Of course it may be the service that is crap rather than the device being faulty :smileysurprised:

However... You have already taken all the logical sensible steps and contacted support by telephone. Personally I think it's time to put it in writing, so click on the support tab above, enter the model and such and select the "contact us" link towards the bottom right. You'll probably have to select a reason and quite honestly anything will do just to get you to the stage that the email link becomes solid and not greyed out. Once this happens you can select it and it will allow you to email them.

I'd suggest you tell them pretty much what you have said in your post (give them a link to it if possible) and ask for it to be escalated to the next tier of support straight away. It may take a couple of days to get an answer but I've always found them pretty good (over here anyway - never tried the USA).

I can't promise it will give you the answer you want or that they'll magically fix it for you, but I do hope it helps.

Regards
Bill
Message 2 of 4 (624 Views)
Please use plain text.
Prominent Wayfarer
Markfish

I don't manually state a frequency in mine, I let it auto tune. Sometimes it can take up to 20 minutes to get a lock. Not the best system theses days unfortunately.

Mark

Message 3 of 4 (580 Views)
Please use plain text.
Apprentice Explorer
DaveSM

Update - 

It seems to be working now. I had a splitter on my power outlet in the car so that I can run both a radar detector and the TomTom off the same outlet.  I have an additional outlet in the arm rest.   Once I plugged the radar detector into it and the TomTom as the only device in the center console, the traffic data has returned.

Of course, it had been set up in the previous configuration for almost a year with no problems.  I still do not know why I now have to have them on different outlets.

Message 4 of 4 (537 Views)
Please use plain text.