Neophyte Explorer
Silvia
Accepted Solution

Long wait for GPS Signal

Hello,

on the website of TomTom is written, the QuickGPSfix for live equipment is already available.
Link: http://www.tomtom.com/de_de/services/live/quickgpsfix/#tab:tab3  (sorry it is German)
According to TomTom website it takes, even with a very poor GPS signal max. 30 seconds until the signal is processed.
On my TomTom (Go 820 Live), it takes up to three minutes when the unit was turned off for several hours.

Now my questions:
Is QuickGPSfix now available for live systems under MyTomTom?
If it is sent, why it taking so long?
My son has a Garmin 1390T. It takes, when he drives out of the garage, 5-10 seconds and the device has an GPS signal.
If the signal is not sent when this happens and why it takes so long until it is implemented?
The Go 820 Live is after the update a great navigation system.
But the long time waiting for a GPS signal is not acceptable.
Why is the Garmin so fast without loading any file?

Maybe someone can say something about it.

regards
Silvia

Message 1 of 8 (10,596 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,606
Solutions: 320

Re: Long wait for GPS Signal

[ Edited ]

Hi Silvia,

if you turn on the device regularly and at least once a week you should always have a valid QuickGPSfix file on your device. This file is being provided over the air and not via the MyTomTom support application. Therefore you'll need a satellite lock for your LIVE services to enable and then you'll receive the QuickGPSfix file being valid for one week. Then you'll need a new file latest to get the fast satellite lock the following days as well.

If there's a valid QuickGPSfix file on the device and it is turned on near the location it has been turned off the last time it'll get the lock also very fast.

Regards

Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 2 of 8 (10,575 Views)
Please use plain text.
Renowned Trailblazer
ChrisL

No GPS Signal

My Tom tom device

There is 2 simple steps to do

1 reset factory settings , this deleted all your settings, favorites, recent destinations

2 soft reset , Press and hold the power button wait for drums

Do the steps out side with a clear view of the sky first time may take up to 5 minutes

every time you turn on your device do it out side so it can find the satellites

Message 3 of 8 (10,568 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Silvia

Hello,

I've done what ChrisL has advised me (Reset with a free view to the sky).
No improvement

Lupos1

If the device was turned off for several hours, it takes some minutes, until the position is determined.

The vehicle is not moved in this time.
It have a clear view to the sky.
Normal auto glass.
The live Servives are activated faster (1-2 minutes).
Why is this. What is wrong

Is there someone with the GPS signal appears already after 30 seconds, when the device was off for 8 hours (Go Live 820).

But !!!

If I leave the car for a short time and the unit is off only for some minutes, the GPS signal is within a few seconds there.

regards
Silvia

PS My Live Services are activated up to  20/11/2013 including QuickGPSFIX (Under "My Services")

Message 4 of 8 (10,465 Views)
Please use plain text.
Lupus1
Topics: 21
Kudos: 1,606
Solutions: 320

Hi Silvia,

if you turn off your device the data of your current location gets stored in internal memory. Therefore if you leave the car for a short time and restart it afterwards the device uses the known location and will find the satellites nearly immediately as those are still in nearly the same position as when turning the device off.

If turning the device off for a longer period the satellites are in a different position and therefore your device has to search again for the satellites. But still it does know where the satellites should be approximately and therefore gets the lock still within some more seconds.

Only if the device has been turned off for an even longer time the device will need a very long time to get a satellite lock as it'll have to go through the complete routine to acquire a satellite lock.

To be able to receive the QuickGPSfix as well as HD Traffic information your device needs at least a short satellite lock to determine the current location. Afterwards the GPSfix will be available on your device but still it helps turning on the device at the same location as turning it off as it'll use that location as base for the calculations for acquiring a satellite lock.

Regards
Lars.

TT XL•S LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)
map/Europe_North 875.3613
TT Start 60
map/Europe 910.4964
TT GO 6000
map/Europe 926.5515

TT Runner Cardio watch

TT Home 2.9.7.3256
MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317
MySports Connect 1.3.9
Win8 64bit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
Message 5 of 8 (10,413 Views)
Please use plain text.
Neophyte Explorer
Silvia

Hello and thank you Chrisl,

the problem seems solved.
I had to proceed in:

1st Soft reset, press and hold the power button wait for drums.
2nd Reset factory settings, this deleted all your settings, favorites, recent destinations.
3rd Soft reset, press and hold the power button wait for drums.

My Live 820 needs three reset's!
The GPS signal really only needed about 30 seconds after 10 hours in the off state. Great
The display was also changed after the reset's.
The Max Speed ​​is not displayed in figures, but now as a graphic.
This was new.
After I logged on to the device name and password, the Live Services were re-activated.
I think after the updates on MyTomTom and some crashes with MyTomTom something went wrong.
If now at some point MapShare works, I am fully satisfied.
Thank you ChisL for the solution.:smileyvery-happy:

Silvia

Message 6 of 8 (10,385 Views)
Please use plain text.
New Traveler
rbell

Surely in the time this conversation took place, the manufacturer could have come in with the right solution or why this was happening? Thanks Lars and Chris and thanks for nothing TomTom

Message 7 of 8 (3,682 Views)
Please use plain text.
Zsolt
Kudos: 2,400
Solutions: 554

There is nothing wrong with the GPS signal, unless you try indoors, you are in an area with poor coverage (due to very tall buildings or so), or your receiver is faulty. What is your TT model and what is the software version on it?

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12214/

Tip: Help others identify useful content by clicking the kudos thumbs, and by selecting the best answer to your question as the accepted solution

Report map errors (MSR Tool - link)
Actual devices: GO 820 Top Gear Edition, GO 825, Start 60, One XL, GO 600, GO 1000, VIA 120, VIA 135, TomTom Android; Old devices: TomTom WM, GO 530, XL IQ Routes LIVE
How to contact TomTom's Customer Services (link)
TomTom's Customer Services numbers (thx Niall) (link)
How to soft reset your device (link)

I am NOT a TomTom employee, just a user like others.
Message 8 of 8 (3,665 Views)
Please use plain text.